My first project. 1969 cb350

Cookie said:
Well done Jessica, nice looking job on that frame.
Thanks a lot! I'm pretty proud of myself, haha. Soon my build will (hopefully) get a little more exciting.

JustinLonghorn said:
Welcome to the fray. Finish that scoot. Ride the wheels off of it.

Haha, Thanks Justin. Will do!!! :p

Hey Jessica, great that you are building your own bike, I'm in Socal and just wanted to ask, did you get your paperwork sorted yet??? The old "it's out of the system" has cost me truck loads of $ in the past. I just wanted to make sure you didn't get blind sided by the DMV.... didn't want to rain on the parade, but spending a few years working on a bike then finding you can't register it, or it's $1,000 behind in fees can suck. Anyway, I'll be watching the build to see what ideas you come up with...

I'm building a CL350 at the moment. In fact, having the engine machined likely this week.

They're stupid-simple in every measure. Honestly the only way to get more simple is to find a single cyl.

Do you have any compression? I've seen these run with 130, hell even 90psi! As long as it's even, you may have a decent runner until you get the scratch to do the top-end.

With this model, there are very few concerns as far as flawed design. In fact the only one that comes to mind right now is the "automatic" cam chain breaker. If you have the bolt sticking out of the top of the tensioner, it's the preferred manual tensioner.

Going along well so far.

ApriliaBill said:
Hey Jessica, great that you are building your own bike, I'm in Socal and just wanted to ask, did you get your paperwork sorted yet??? The old "it's out of the system" has cost me truck loads of $ in the past. I just wanted to make sure you didn't get blind sided by the DMV.... didn't want to rain on the parade, but spending a few years working on a bike then finding you can't register it, or it's $1,000 behind in fees can suck. Anyway, I'll be watching the build to see what ideas you come up with...

Yikes, what a bummer!! We checked it out, the bike hasn't been in the DMV records since like 1984.. I just need to apply for a new title 'n stuff. Should work out alright, Thanks! :)

Saw your want ad.

I have 3 or 4 350's sitting in the garage so any parts you need let me know.

As far as what you asked for...

I have some really nice Tommaselli clip-ons for my old race 350. I will have to check diameter bc I have Betor forks on it.

I would be willing to make you a really nice deal on anything off that bike if you want some upgrades.

Mikuni Carbs, Betor (spanish) Forks, the for-mentioned clip ons, aluminum wheels, etc.

Redliner said:
I'm building a CL350 at the moment. In fact, having the engine machined likely this week.

They're stupid-simple in every measure. Honestly the only way to get more simple is to find a single cyl.

Do you have any compression? I've seen these run with 130, hell even 90psi! As long as it's even, you may have a decent runner until you get the scratch to do the top-end.

With this model, there are very few concerns as far as flawed design. In fact the only one that comes to mind right now is the "automatic" cam chain breaker. If you have the bolt sticking out of the top of the tensioner, it's the preferred manual tensioner.

Going along well so far.

Nice!! We got en extra cylinder head thrown in with the bike, When I have the money I wanna machine it too!

The compression sounds fine, when we moved it and rolled the engine we didn't hear anything. buuuut we haven't actually tested it yet. He also put in a new timing chain and some other goodies.

And I haven't heard anything about the automatic cam chain breaker.. What is that? haha, sorry I'm pretty new with all this :p

I see from your pictures that your bike does have the manual tensioner, so no worries.

The automatic tensioner just makes a mess of your chain.

legendofjessica said:
Hey everyone! I'm working on my first project, a '69 cb350! I'm taking this rust bucket apart and finding I have a huge list of things I need. I figured I would start by asking you all if you have anything you'd like to sell or give away!! I'm located in So Cal!

Main things I currently need:
-Cables: Clutch, Throttle, and front brake lines
-Front brake caliper
-Shift lever
-Rear brake lever and connecting rod
-33mm clip on bars
-Exhaust

Shoot me a message!! Thanks guys.

Copied from your want ad to hopefully cause more discussion.

Something to think about with the clip ons that I thought about as I sent you the specs on the ones I have.

I would think most intelligent and experienced people on here would agree that as a beginner rider it would be wise to stick with sport or euro bars and a standard riding position for a while rather than to go with drop bars (ie Clubmans or Clip-ons) with or without rear-sets. This allows you to learn to stay alive on a bike with the geometry the way it was meant to be. As soon as you add clip ons you run into lots of potential hazards (aside from the health concerns with no rear sets). Cornering is different, as is throttle control and braking. Both are things that can go bad real quick. Think of it this way...you are basically trying to change the riding position on a semi-cruiser to that of a sportbike without really changing other geometry factors like rake and trail. Im sure others will have there own thoughts. :)

gijoe13844 said:
Copied from your want ad to hopefully cause more discussion.

Something to think about with the clip ons that I thought about as I sent you the specs on the ones I have.

I would think most intelligent and experienced people on here would agree that as a beginner rider it would be wise to stick with sport or euro bars and a standard riding position for a while rather than to go with drop bars (ie Clubmans or Clip-ons) with or without rear-sets. This allows you to learn to stay alive on a bike with the geometry the way it was meant to be. As soon as you add clip ons you run into lots of potential hazards (aside from the health concerns with no rear sets). Cornering is different, as is throttle control and braking. Both are things that can go bad real quick. Think of it this way...you are basically trying to change the riding position on a semi-cruiser to that of a sportbike without really changing other geometry factors like rake and trail. Im sure others will have there own thoughts. :)

Sounds about right, The motorcycle I've been learning on has drop bars (My boyfriends cm400 has clip-ons). So I don't have any experience with other types of bars. I'm taking my safety course early December.. so I guess I'm working backwards here haha. Good advice though, I'll look into some options for my bike!

Thats a spring loaded ten it is automatic, dont listen to redliner he is full of shit. There is a rubber roller that you should replace in behind the ten. they fail and the chain will wrap its self up on the crank.

My personal favorites because they look great and keep geometry true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDLEBAR-7-8-UNIV-STREET-EURO-BAR-BLACK-TRIUMPH-NORTON-HONDA-CAFE-RACER-BOBBER-/331003024414?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1151541e&vxp=mtr

They work great with stock cables and lines (dont have to resize to adapt to clip ons.)

gijoe13844 said:
My personal favorites because they look great and keep geometry true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDLEBAR-7-8-UNIV-STREET-EURO-BAR-BLACK-TRIUMPH-NORTON-HONDA-CAFE-RACER-BOBBER-/331003024414?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1151541e&vxp=mtr

They work great with stock cables and lines (dont have to resize to adapt to clip ons.)

They do look more comfortable...

Golly, somebody had better inform Honda. Or suspend common sense.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    447.8 KB · Views: 742
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    498.6 KB · Views: 760
legendofjessica said:
They do look more comfortable...

Im sure you know this but I have seen them wrong...they mount so they are pulled back towards you haha. I think the pull back is like 3 inches as opposed to the negative 4 or 5 clubmans and some clip ons will give you. that results in a 30 to 40 degree change in riding position. You will still be hunched over a bit from stock but not more than what is comfortable with stock foot control placement.

gijoe13844 said:
Im sure you know this but I have seen them wrong...they mount so they are pulled back towards you haha. I think the pull back is like 3 inches as opposed to the negative 4 or 5 clubmans and some clip ons will give you. that results in a 30 to 40 degree change in riding position. You will still be hunched over a bit from stock but not more than what is comfortable with stock foot control placement.

Would this be the right way?
honda-cl350.jpg

Back
Top Bottom