"Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

Re: "Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

I have the data somewhere and it is significant...cheap insurance for the top of the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasstar said:
I have the data somewhere and it is significant...cheap insurance for the top of the engine

Thanks Tex. I'll make the swap while I'm in here.

I'm waiting for funds to purchase a ricks rebuilt stator to make sure this thing charges.

Anyone know if it is possible to easily test a rotor while I'm at that too?

1sttimer said:
I'm waiting for funds to purchase a ricks rebuilt stator to make sure this thing charges.

Anyone know if it is possible to easily test a rotor while I'm at that too?

yep put one wire in yer ear one near yer mouth and call home ;D

xb33bsa said:
yep put one wire in yer ear one near yer mouth and call home ;D

That's pretty much how I feel with all things electrical. Good thing I have wiring gurus like Sonrier around for that!

Nasty job when your redneck engine stand is taken by another engine. Rolled around on the ground with the spare 200 engine trying to get the oil pump out, but I got it.

8135b370de8df17c38b06f801925e52b.jpg

Could I use loctite 518 in place of my engine side cover gaskets or is that a place where a gasket is necessary? Makes cleanup so much easier the next time I need to take the cover off.

I use shellac. It helps the gasket pop off without tearing when you take the cover off.

You just smear it on both sides of the gasket before putting it in? Releases from both sides?

I put it on the cover side to get it to hold the gasket in place before installation. Sometimes I put it on both sides. I only use RTV on something that has a gouge or gap that needs filling (like when someone uses a screwdriver to pop open a tappet cover). The nice thing about shellac is it will stick even with a little oil where the RTV won't.

1sttimer said:
Could I use loctite 518 in place of my engine side cover gaskets or is that a place where a gasket is necessary? Makes cleanup so much easier the next time I need to take the cover off.
we use hylomar and the gasket and like deviant we use it to hold the gasket in place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the 518 will work for holding the gasket to one side as well,cover side is what i like to stick the gasket to
the trick is to smear a very thin layer that way to minimize messy skweezout

Awesome thanks guys. Sounds like a gasket is necessary regardless. I'm with ya :)

Re-doing the seat mount and electronics tray. This is a good lesson in not getting over zealous to powder coat.

Cheers to brad for this one.

c20eaa2aa419b2758ee17d155d1eb54b.jpg

50f9079cb360cb869b525bfc410450e1.jpg

You can also use a little anit-seize on the gasket to make it not stick but still seal, makes the gaskets re-usable when you are in the trying to sort the engine out phase. I used it on my 450 and on my GL and have had no issues with leaks and been able to remove the covers a few times without wrecking the gaskets.

Maritime said:
You can also use a little anit-seize on the gasket to make it not stick but still seal, makes the gaskets re-usable when you are in the trying to sort the engine out phase. I used it on my 450 and on my GL and have had no issues with leaks and been able to remove the covers a few times without wrecking the gaskets.

Maritime that's a great idea! Do you use it on the case side so the gasket sticks to the cover?

I used it on both sides and carefully put the gasket on, but you could just do the case side and allow it to stick. Secret is just a small amount evenly applied. too much and you will get seeps.

Maritime said:
I used it on both sides and carefully put the gasket on, but you could just do the case side and allow it to stick. Secret is just a small amount evenly applied. too much and you will get seeps.

Yup I experienced the seeps :)

Question : let's say I have a stripped M6 hole on the stator side of the transmission case. It's only 1, but it's below oil level. It is so stripped that I can t get it to apply any clamping load with a fastener.

Would this be a situation where you would leave it assuming the other bolts on the cover compensate, drill to an M8 hole and tap or something else?

Edit: I should mention the fastener is just used to hold the whole stator cover on (not the small rotor cover)

eye-dealy you helicoil repair it, the kits are not that spendy and handy to have around
def i would not go out to m8 you gotta drill the outer case and it will look like shit and may crak

Back
Top Bottom