1974 CB360 - (Properly Named) The Sterilizer (Updated 3/2/10)

Ninetyeight

Been Around the Block
Hey all,
I'm a bit of a poster, a bit of a lurker. This is my project. I call it The Sterilizer, a name it most definitely earned. At some point during my journey attempting to get it to run again after 9 years of sitting, something shorted through the frame and started shocking me in the you-know-whats! After a week of messing with it (Not to mention reducing my future children's IQs) I called it good enough and began the disassembly process.

With that out of the way, let me start at the beginning. I am a teenage (17) college student, broke off my ass, but in love with motorcycles. I started racing motocross at the tender age of 9, and have been in the sport ever since. I stopped riding a couple of years ago to focus on schooling and keep myself in one piece. I have some motocross parts left over and am going to try to work some of them in on this build. I am building this bike on a ridiculously low budget, but so far so good. Ever since I stopped racing I've been itching to get on a bike. I figured a street bike was my most practical option and with my love for cafe racers, a Honda CB seemed to fit well. I lurked craigslist for months and months waiting for the best deal/best bike. I gave up after a long while of looking, with only checking once in a blue moon. I checked back sometime this June, and to my surprise found a 1974 CB360 for $150. The bike was not currently running, and did not have a title (Lucky a notarized bill of sale is as good as a title in Oklahoma) but the engine would turn all the way over, it was complete and for the most part unmolested. I showed up with $150 cash in my pocket, looked the bike over, decided it was a good buy, and asked if he would take $100. The man politely declined, but told me he would throw a non-running 1973 CL175 in for the original price of $150. I acted (Key word) disappointed and agreed to the deal. I was biting my lips to keep my cheesy grin from surfacing. I loaded the bikes up and brought them home.

I ended up getting the bike running (Very Roughly) for $4 worth of spark plugs and $3 worth of parts to reboot them. I'm in dire need of a diaphragm for my right carburetor but am still going full speed on my resto-mod project.

With my life story out of the way, here are some pics with a bit of description.

Here is the best before picture I can scratch up:
snapshot20090806184643.tif

Here is how she sits now:
photo1051m.jpg

The tank has been bondoed (Filling in Badge Mounts and a large dent on the right side) filler primed, wet sanded, primed again, and lacks one more wet sand before I can start laying down the final coat.
I just received the seat from CafePete today, it needs some bondo and priming and then it will be padded, covered and mounted. Thanks Pete!

Here is how the engine sits now:
dsc05063k.jpg

Pretty bland, planning on degreasing, cleaning, painting, fixing carb, new points, oil change, and re-installing.

Here's the basic color scheme for the bike, illustrated by the finished headlight bucket:
dsc05067.jpg

(Sorry For The Crappy Picture) I'm going for a bit of the flat black cafe look, with a bit of the glittery 70s race look.

New tires/tubes came in today!
photo1055c.jpg

Here are the logos that will be going on the tank:
photo1054.jpg

Designed by me, printed by my family's business (DZGMX.com). (Note: They're designed to look a bit worn) They are printed on matte vinyl with a thick matte over-laminate.

Here is my custom wrapped battery. Again, designed by me and printed by dzgmx.com. Also, how the gauges sit now, awaiting custom gauge faces:
dsc05065j.jpg

...And last but not least, here is an extremely rough draft of what the final bike will look like:
cbfinalnofairingcopy.jpg

(Original Photo Credit: CafePete)
The 360 Special logo was canned and went with the straight gray/black design for the battery.

Thanks for reading all the way to here, hope to post some significant updates soon. I would post my "To-do List" but I think it might crash the forum's server! :D

I'm going pretty traditional cafe on this, I'm jazzed on the way it's coming out so far. ;D

A HUGE shout out to CafePete who hooked me up with the seat. He was a tremendous help, the seat is going to completely make the look of the bike.

Also, just for kicks, here is pic of my daily driver:
picture169.png

It's where I draw most of my mechanical ability from. It's a 1978 Volkswagen Bus, I'm in the process of completely restoring it on my all too familiar little-to-no budget lifestyle.

Hope to hear good feedback/suggestions!

Thanks,
Garrett

Re: 1974 CB360 - (Properly Named) The Sterilizer

Welcome aboard, looks like you're off to a flying start! I started university at 17 as well, and the whole no budget thing has been imprinted on me fairly heavily. Its stuck with me in my first year out; my mates say its not gonna fade, haha.

Anyway, looks like you've got a good project there, not bad at all. The gratis custom printing will definitely be a big help, all I have in the way of decals on my bike is white electrical tape for stripes. The overall scheme with your silver/black idea looks quite good, can't wait to see it up and running.

Cheers - boingk

Hell of a deal! congrats! How's the cl175 look?

The plan for the bike looks great, and the seat rocks. I'm looking forward to the outcome.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

The 175 is pretty toasted, the engine won't crank and someone had stripped the sparkplug threads out on one side. I wanted it originally for the tank and pipes, but I ended up wanting to keep the stock tank and have something fun planned with the stock headers. ;)

Here is a pic of the bike with the tank and seat off:
dsc05061n.jpg

I'm parting it out if anyone is interested:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10098.0

Got a few more things started/progressed.

The tank got the satin black treatment (Please excuse the dust).
dsc05087v.jpg

It's now awaiting the silver side inserts and sterilizer badges.

The gauge bezels are finished:
dsc05080x.jpg

The glass needs cleaned, the new gauge faces need finished, and then they can be reassembled.

Here is how the seat sits now (Note the mockup outline where the silver insert/number plate will be placed):
dsc05086.jpg

Needs sanded, one more skim coat of bondo, and sanded again before it can be primed and painted.

I also started on the foam tonight. All that is lacking is to have all of the layers glued together and adding a "Filler" layer of batting. It currently consists of 4 layers of Yoga Mat on the bottom and 2 layers of yoga mat on the bumstop.
dsc05094c.jpg

The Lower Fork legs got the glitter treatment tonight:
dsc05085h.jpg

They need another coat (Note blotchiness). With this metallic paint you can't spray a second coat until the first is completely cured or it will come out looking like a bland silver with no flake.

The next two things that are underway are the final grinding/tab removal on the frame. After that is finished it will be painted high gloss black, as well as the swingarm.

I also began pulling the side cases/covers off of the engine tonight. Once I get everything cleaned up it will be masked off and painted. All of the motor will be silver except for the cylinders which will be black.

Once those two things are finished it will almost be ready to start re-assembly.

Thanks!
-Garrett

Looking good! Gald the seat is working out for you.

What a great looking build! I love the decals! Any way you can make those available? Or what do we need to do, just go to the website? Also what a great idea wrapping the battery, I love it! Great option if you don't want to mess with moving it.

If you still have the CL Pipes and want to sell them I am interested. PM me.

The seat is perfect Pete! Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone!

As far as the decals, the capabilities of what we're able to do is absolutely endless. I'm talking from vinyl maskings, to cell phone size stickers, to full semi-trailer wraps. If you're interested in doing something for your project you can PM me on here and I can hook you up by not charging hourly design fees.

I am a graphic designer myself, so I can do all of the design work and can come up with anything you can dream up in your head (Even things you can't!).

Once I get all of the decals on my bike, I'm considering offering this as a service on the forums. I know a lot of people have names for their bike, I would be able to make badges to represent the names to all of your specs for a fairly affordable price.

I've still got the CL Pipes, have had a few offers but nothing seems to have gone through.

I like the rough draft. It has an '42 war plane feel, and looks well traveled.

Very cool.

CresentSon said:
I like the rough draft. It has an '42 war plane feel, and looks well traveled.

Very cool.

Thanks, man! I haven't heard that yet but I do see it. That's kinda the look I'm going for. When designing the tank badges I wanting them to look like vintage war propaganda art. I'm hoping for a well traveled look, but with everything fresh and crisp, if that makes sense? Everything will be fresh paint, polish, etc. but I want it to look like it's been rode before. :)

I was able to cross something like 14 things off of my to-do list tonight. (Mind you, I have the tiniest of things included in this list)

I'll copy the things that have been done so far on the list:

Wirewheel + Sand Exhaust Headers
Paint Exhaust Headers (Flat High Heat Black)
Sand Upper Triple Clamp
Polish Upper Triple Clamp
Sand Lower Triple Clamp
Paint Lower Triple Clamp (Flat Black)
Sand Forks
Paint Forks (Lowers Silver, Uppers Flat Black [Uppers = Where the from the bottom triple clamp up - making sure to exclude travel area of fork])
Sand + Paint Ignition Mount (Flat Black)
Sand Headlight Bucket
Prime Headlight Bucket
Paint Headlight Bucket (Silver)
Sand Headlight Rim
Prime Headlight Rim
Paint Headlight Rim (High Gloss Black)
Fabricate Headlight Grill ("Rock Guard")
Paint Headlight Grill (Flat Black)
Paint Gauge Clusters (Silver Outside, White Inside)
Sand + Paint Gauge Mount (Flat Black)
Make Template For Side Insert on Tank
Bondo Tank
Prime Tank
Wetsand Tank
2nd Coat Prime
Wetsand Tank
Paint Tank (Black)
Paint Fuel Line Heat Shield Springs (Silver)
Fabricate Catch Can
Fabricate Rubber Mount For Catch Can
Soak Chain In Diesel
Sand + Paint Shocks (Silver/Silver)
Straighten Battery Box
Cut Unnecessary Mounts Off of Battery Box
Bondo Seat
Sand Seat
Bondo Seat 2nd Time
Make Insert Template For Tank
Make Seat Pad

Note: There is lots more than this done, as there was already lots done before I wrote out my to-do list.

I'd post what's left, but it's a lot...

Thanks again,
-Garrett

Looking good!
I agree with covering or painting the ugly batteries on bikes without side covers as they look much better that way.

I'm hoping to get this project finished by the 29th of this month. I don't have any idea if this is possible, but it'll be in time for a bike show I want to attend. I'm going to try to get it re-assembled, more-than-likely non-running, but all finished up and together by then.

If anyone wants to donate a carb diaphragm there's a better chance of that non-running part being nixed. ;D

I'm still alive!

Obviously the 29th was unachievable.
I have made LOTS of progress but have lacked update due to my work schedule.

I've painted the frame and swingarm high gloss black and am beginning reassembly.

I have built a taillight/tag bracket, figured out the mounts for the turn signals in the front, as well as painted/modified several other parts.

I got a box in the mail yesterday from my friends at CHPUSA.net containing a takegawa chrome pancake air filter I'll be modifying to fit, as well as a low-profile throttle.
I was running out of space on the handlebars but I tested the new throttle out tonight and it fits PERFECTLY.

I'm planning on getting the wheels painted my next day off (Sunday) so I can put the tires on them and have a rolling chassis!!!

If you can't tell, I'm way, way excited to be able to sit on it and make vroom-vroom noises again until I get the motor done.

Well, enough rambling...
I'll post some progress pics soon!
Keep on my case guys, I'll get it done quicker! ;D

Ninetyeight said:
Keep on my case guys, I'll get it done quicker! ;D

In that case, get to work you lazy slacker. How dare you let work get in the way of a build. I want to see you in the shop right this second. Stop reading this post and go! Are you still here? Um... you need to um... what else,... eat your vegetables and wash be hind your ears. Oh and post some more pics for Pete's sake.

Hope that did the trick. Always willing to help a brother out. :D

Wow, impressive work and insight! Very creative, and that is what it takes to make a good custom bike. I like where you are going; you have a vision, a plan, and are putting all of it into action. Really nice build here, I will be watching!

Cheers!

dsc05130y.jpg

The pics are shotty, but the best I could get in the dark. I'll get some more this weekend on my days off.

Thanks for all of the kind words, guys. :)

dsc05131oq.jpg

Overall:
dsc05118a.jpg

dsc05126k.jpg

The Front: (Note: Nothing is tightened down, explaining why everything is pointing at different angles)
dsc05121.jpg

The Front Again:
dsc05123e.jpg

Here's a closeup of my turn signal mounts:
dsc05122c.jpg

Closeup of the seat, needs one more sand and I think it'll be ready for primer:
dsc05124.jpg

The foam needs a bit of trimming to get it just right.

Levers:
dsc05132.jpg

Pipes awaiting Tips (....keep scrolling)
dsc05135z.jpg

Tips: (Note "Custom Back Pressure Regulators")
dsc05137.jpg

....aka:
dsc05140s.jpg

They're going to get a bit more work to make them look the part better. I can see it in my head... ;D

Here's the throttle from CHP:
dsc05133.jpg

Here's the filter from CHP:
dsc05147.jpg

dsc05148v.jpg

My parts bike after a bit of molestation:
dsc05142y.jpg

My brother's "Winter Project":
dsc05143x.jpg

Stay posted....I hope to get a lot done this weekend.

Thanks!

A couple of small updates:

Got pissed off at how the satin paint on the tank was turning out so I wetsanded it and painted it flat black. (No pics of that)

Tonight I took my vinyl stencils I made for the tank inserts and applied them to the tank.

I decided to paint the outline around the silver a bright red so I sprayed that tonight:

dsc05149.jpg

dsc05150c.jpg

dsc05154.jpg

dsc05153.jpg

Note: The inner edge of the stencil is still on the tank. I'm spraying the silver tomorrow so I have to leave the inner edge of the stencil until I get the silver done.

dsc05156.jpg

dsc05157.jpg

Also, The seat is getting really friggin' close!

dsc05152.jpg

Found the fabric for my seat cover:

dsc05151k.jpg

It will have ribs sewn into the length of the seat. It's vinyl, but the cool thing about it is it wears like leather. The more it gets worn it gets darker and darker. (My parents have the fabric on a ottoman and pillow, it ages really neat looking)

Hopefully some more substantial updates soon. I'm not gonna let the cold wet weather bring me down!

For that exhaust, I think you'd be better off drilling a nice, 1-1.25" holt right in the center. Even though your 'silencer' has holes in it, I suspect you'll need more volume.

--Chris

Back
Top Bottom