Home made copper exhaust baffle

tWistedWheelz

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
Ok, per request I am going to try to explain how to make a home made baffle. I have made one set before and it was using a slightly different design than this, but this is a better method, more simplified in construction.

Materials needed:
1. Copper end caps (x2)
2. Copper pipe (six inches long max) (x2)
3. Copper brazing/soldering rod (I like 15%)
4. Small sheet metal screw (x2)
5. Heavy duty Steel Wool

Tools needed:
1. Torch
2. Drill bit the diameter of you center tube
3. Drill bit in ¼ inch diameter and a 1/8 inch may be required for tuning

I am sorry I have no pics of my construction (this was done before I was a DTT member and did not share any of my work on a computer at all), but I made a figure to use as aid in explaining in MS paint. Refer to each numbered section as I descried my method.

The diameter of your end cap will be determined by the inside diameter of your pipes, get as close as you can and then you can shim a bit with steel wool.

The Diameter of your center tube will determine how much you will restrict sound and flow, you will have to use your own judgment here, but about half the diameter of the pipe is a good start, and then decide if you want more or less. Larger center tube results in louder sound.

Section one shows orientation of components, with caps facing away from each other.

Section 2 shows were to drill wholes, both sizes. More holes = more flow = less back pressure.

Section three shows where to weld, leave some lip on the inside of each cap at each end.

Section 4 depicts where to use steel wool and where the screw should go through your pipe and into the baffle flange. More steel wool = less flow through baffle chamber = more back pressure and louder sound.

Tune the baffle by installing and running your motor, if it needs opening more drill a couple holes in the outside flange end. If it needs more, drill more.

baffle.jpg

It’s that simple. I hope this helps!

Cheers and good luck!

I am glad I could help, I hope more people find it usefull as well.
If you make your own set please post your pics on this thread and also any changes you made to my design or problems you ran into.

Cheers!

tWistedWheelz said:
I am glad I could help, I hope more people find it usefull as well.
If you make your own set please post your pics on this thread and also any changes you made to my design or problems you ran into. Cheers!

I made a couple of sets w/ qualified amounts of success. They looked like first the pix below. I assembled them w/ standard copper pieces and solder... yeah well, so much for that idea, the solder didn't take the heat and they came apart. (Duh!) The next set was assembled w/ silver solder and had somewhat more success and only partially came apart over several months and miles. If I were going to do it over I'd add a mechanical connection like a pop rivet. They worked fairly well to cut down on the noise. Rather than make another set I went to the set-up shown in the second pix below. All-in-all this looks better and sounds better anyway. The baffles in the EMGO Shorty mufflers shown are very similar to the ones tWistedWheelz shows above and really make a big difference. The bike has a heavier, deeper sound and, while still a little loud, isn't nearly as blatantly obnoxious as the straight pipes and baffled pipes were.

baffle010.jpg

baffle001-1.jpg

(Jeez, this pix makes the pld girl look pretty shabby... guess I'd better get that rebuild started soon. I keep collecting bits and pieces for it.)

Great input, I used 15% silver solder on the ones I built for Alex's CB750 and they have held for over a year! I must say, they sound pretty damn tuff too!

great post.

Could something like this be used on straight pipes or would the smaller diameter be too small and restrictive?

PHeller said:
great post.

Could something like this be used on straight pipes or would the smaller diameter be too small and restrictive?

The ones I show above were used on straight CL pipes. Seemed to work ok as long as they stayed together.

fairfield said:
i'm curious to know how these sound cause i've been thinking of doing this for my cb350.

any news?

+1 to that. This is an awesome mod thread. I'm going to do this.

I could be wrong but I believe that I read some where that you shouldn't use steel wool as a packing material as it can easily catch fire, just a little warning.

rebellion ind said:
I could be wrong but I believe that I read some where that you shouldn't use steel wool as a packing material as it can easily catch fire, just a little warning.

Correct. And when it's coated in unburned fuel and oil, it really make a nice little spark show. Get a pack of exhaust packing from your local dealer and wrap it nice and tight.

teazer said:
Correct. And when it's coated in unburned fuel and oil, it really make a nice little spark show. Get a pack of exhaust packing from your local dealer and wrap it nice and tight.

awww, but the sparkly fairy glitter shooting from the tail pipe is half the fun ;D

alright, steelwool it is

i was thinking about sticking these baffles in the ends of my header pipes, right at the footpegs of my cb350. is this a bad idea? will my shoes melt?

fairfield said:
alright, steelwool it is

i was thinking about sticking these baffles in the ends of my header pipes, right at the footpegs of my cb350. is this a bad idea? will my shoes melt?

Nah, it will work, I made a set of these for Deviant1 for his Delores project. He used them in a set of 2 into one drag pipes from the 70's that ends just under the pegs (on a CB750, so both pegs have a pipe end under them) and it works great. He has been running them for about 2 years now with no ill effect. Over time they loosened up but a new peice of wrap and a new set screw and they are like new again!

tWistedWheelz said:
Nah, it will work, I made a set of these for Deviant1 for his Delores project. He used them in a set of 2 into one drag pipes from the 70's that ends just under the pegs (on a CB750, so both pegs have a pipe end under them) and it works great. He has been running them for about 2 years now with no ill effect. Over time they loosened up but a new peice of wrap and a new set screw and they are like new again!

Hows the sound? I might be into trying that if it's not stupid loud.

djelliott said:
Hows the sound? I might be into trying that if it's not stupid loud.

No...it is not really loud at all, quite tame actually! It has a nice throaty growl at low RPM and a good tune harmonic flow in the mid RPM range...she sings a bit loud of a barotone at the high range but still sounds pretty good. Overall the sound and tone is nice, it is almost too quiet, but I like to piss off neighbors with mine, so I am a bit bias to open megaphones!

tWistedWheelz said:
like to piss off neighbors with mine, so I am a bit bias to open megaphones!

hehehehe, you old scalawag you. Well, for a few bucks in parts I may as well give her a try before I drop the cash on the Megaphones. . Refresh my memory on the I.D. of stock CB350 headers. I want to grab the parts from the hardware store on my way home.

Back
Top Bottom