"Half Sack " cb400 (Almost Done!)

tweakin

Beer and Grease
Posted this in the intro page, but this is going to be my long winter project. Maybe having this posted will help keep me motivated. I started out with Harleys but I wanted to pic up a project for over the Seattle winter to keep me away from my Harley. I picked up a 1978 cb400 for $300 with only 8K original miles and it runs great. Everything but the insides of the engine are in ruff shape. This bike was not my first choice for a build but it should be a good one to start on.

cb400

Hawk.jpg

First day of tear down

4-3.jpg

3-5.jpg

After having the bike for a week, a "roller" ready to start cutting and welding.

2-5-1.jpg

Here is a pic of my Harley I built up.

IMG_6445-1.jpg

More to come,

-tweak

Re: The Hawk

nice Harley! can't wait to see what you do with that "hawk". 8)

welcome! You work fast. Better slow down or else you won't have anything to work on over the winter. Looking really good so far. I like that seat a lot.

hey nice start. im in tacoma just started on the same bike but you are way way ahead of me lol. nice Harley!

stigg said:
hey nice start. im in tacoma just started on the same bike but you are way way ahead of me lol. nice Harley!

I am actually in Tacoma also, close to the University of Puget Sound. I just say Seattle since most know Seattle over Tacoma.

Re: Half Sack "The Hawk"

hey, that looks awesome, i just got the same bike. where did you get that seat if you don't mind me asking?

mick22 said:
hey, that looks awesome, i just got the same bike. where did you get that seat if you don't mind me asking?

Just a basic seat by carpy.

http://www.cb750cafe.com/parts.php?id=60

Finished the new battery and electronic tray. Going to hide all the electronics under the seat back. First time welding so the welds look like a$$ but they will be under the seat. Getting close to powder time.

1-8.jpg

Almost time to tear into the motor.

2-6.jpg

working fast brother! glad to see ya posting up here! stoked to see how this comes out... woudl be cool to do some skirting on the tank to help it flow right into the seat a bit more... kind of like the weld on ext they use on the harley tanks

JRK5892 said:
working fast brother! glad to see ya posting up here! stoked to see how this comes out... woudl be cool to do some skirting on the tank to help it flow right into the seat a bit more... kind of like the weld on ext they use on the harley tanks

Already sorted out the tank lines. The seat has been dropped so it lines up perfectly.

Broke into the motor and did some polishing. Sent a bunch of parts to powder.

Gauges
5-1.jpg

Fork lowers
6.jpg

Rebuilt starter
7.jpg

Drilled out and resurfaced rotor, ready for powder
4-4.jpg

Case
3-6.jpg

Cyliders and heads
1-9.jpg

Frame and some other parts will be powdered in Metallic Silver, the wheels will be in gloss black and I plan on doing the tins in red.

man you are fast! the polishing looks awesome man! bike is going to be sick as hell!

Wow, great work. After you sand and polish the forks do you coat them with something or leave them exposed to the elements?

Darryl.

if you don't mind, how exactly did you polish your gear? everyone seems to have slight variations, and i've tried different speeds, different compounds, sanding to a different grit before buffing, etc, and i'm having mixed success without any real conclusion to a best method. any pointers?

I just leave them exposed, for now. I have mild OCD when it comes to bike parts so I will stay on top of them.

residentdud said:
Wow, great work. After you sand and polish the forks do you coat them with something or leave them exposed to the elements?

Darryl.

I start off by hitting the part with a brass wire wheel attached to my air tool. Next I sand with 200 grit sand paper, then 600 grit. Then I hit my buffing wheels. First I use (brown) polishing compound from Harbor Freight then on a different wheel hit it with (green) polishing compound, also from harbor freight. I go back and forth on the compounds until I get the desired results. For me polishing takes some serious time, go slow on the wheels and you will get good results. I plan on hitting these all up again.

Hope this helps.

tweak
sebatron said:
if you don't mind, how exactly did you polish your gear? everyone seems to have slight variations, and i've tried different speeds, different compounds, sanding to a different grit before buffing, etc, and i'm having mixed success without any real conclusion to a best method. any pointers?

Changed the gearing to 15 front 37 rear to give it a bit more pop.

gear.jpg

Cleaned up the pistons, now waiting on new rings.

pistons.jpg

Rebuilt the front caliper and master cylinder.

caliper.jpg

Getting a bunch of stuff back from the powdercoater next week. Hope to have it back into a roller by next weekend.

Lookin' good mate! Love the rebuilt master cylinder and the immaculate engine parts. THis thing is really taking off! Be awesome to see whjat it ends up like.

CHeers - boingk

Great progress! I wish I had the nuts to crack open my motor for a rebuild but I guess I should try to fix anything if isn't broken!

Back
Top Bottom