'74 CB360 -- Eos -- and a NEW BIKE!

MrBerner

Been Around the Block
hey, I've been pokin' around this site for a while now...it's actually turned into an addiction of mine. Anyways, I've been riding since I was 17 and since moving to Minneapolis for college 5 years ago haven't hopped on a bike at all...That is, until I bought this sweet ass '74 cb360 on the cheap off C-list. I rode it about 45 minutes back to the cities and for a few weeks 'til I decided the Minnesota Cold had hit too early. I've never really worked on bikes but consider myself very handy. I have a few manuals and a few friends, hopin' to get some help from YOU too!

It did die on me toward the end of riding season which is another reason I decided to pull her into the garage to hibernate. I was out riding one night and I sputtered to a stop at a stop light. 'out of gas' I switched to the reserve and kicked her start again. 'time to go home' about 3 blocks later she dies on me again. After giving up the starting fight I start to push her back to my work. I homeless guy actually came up to me and helped me bump start it too, didn't work (that's another story). So it sat at work for a week or two until I got it home. And I've been workin' on her ever since.

Pretty much all I've done is Overhaul the Carbs, but they look brand new so I'm pretty proud of myself.

Here's my ride. Day one. Before the exchange of cash. Look how happy I am!

CIMG5019.jpg

CIMG5018.jpg

Here it is as it sits in my garage now.

DSC02019.jpg

DSC02022.jpg

DSC02025.jpg

And here's an extra motor i picked up last week. It seems every screw on both motors I have are frozen shut. I've got only 3 of them out. I've used and broke 2 extractors on stripped screws. I'm gonna end up getting new screws anyways so I'm thinkin' about drilling or chiseling the heads off. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

DSC02027.jpg

That's it. I'll try to stay on top of this but with school and work it may be a little tough.

'til next time

Re: '74 CB360 -- It Begins -- Berner

Welcome to the board ;D
The bike looks to be in very good shape.

MrBerner said:
It seems every screw on both motors I have are frozen shut. I've got only 3 of them out. I've used and broke 2 extractors on stripped screws. I'm gonna end up getting new screws anyways so I'm thinkin' about drilling or chiseling the heads off. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

impact driver.....its an old bikes best friend

http://cgi.ebay.com/Northern-Industrial-Tools-Impact-Driver-Set-NEW_W0QQitemZ280416633525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414a2242b5

basically you just turn it like your loosening the screw and then bash the end with a hammer and it breaks them free.....buy one you wont regret it

All but two or three of the screws on the case can be gripped with a small pair of vise grips on their edges. Loosen them that way, and then get it the rest of the way out with a screwdriver. Impacts work well, like force said, but a ratchet with a WELL FITTING phillips bit...as in one you have to tap in with a hammer...will work as well.

Whatever you do, DONT grind or chisel the heads off of the screws. This will give you a huge headache when trying to remove the leftover studs...ask me how I know?!

Also be sure to check those cam chain slippers. I have been inside of 5 or 6 360 motors, and every one of them had broken ones. Other than that they are great bikes. Good luck, and nice start!

cafePete said:
Welcome to the board ;D
The bike looks to be in very good shape.

Thanks guys It's been quite a warm welcome.
forcefanajd said:
impact driver.....its an old bikes best friend

http://cgi.ebay.com/Northern-Industrial-Tools-Impact-Driver-Set-NEW_W0QQitemZ280416633525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414a2242b5

basically you just turn it like your loosening the screw and then bash the end with a hammer and it breaks them free.....buy one you wont regret it

I was thinking about picking one up but wasn't sure...I'll make a trip later today.
Kanticoy said:
All but two or three of the screws on the case can be gripped with a small pair of vise grips on their edges. Loosen them that way, and then get it the rest of the way out with a screwdriver. Impacts work well, like force said, but a ratchet with a WELL FITTING phillips bit...as in one you have to tap in with a hammer...will work as well.

Whatever you do, DONT grind or chisel the heads off of the screws. This will give you a huge headache when trying to remove the leftover studs...ask me how I know?!

Also be sure to check those cam chain slippers. I have been inside of 5 or 6 360 motors, and every one of them had broken ones. Other than that they are great bikes. Good luck, and nice start!

Thanks for the advice, I really didn't want to go that route at all. It seemed that hard way to go for sure. Because I broke 2 extractors in different screws, they are stuck inside. I'll try using vice grips...crossing my fingers.

So I went out and bought an impact driver and I have to say I was quite impressed. A lot of the screws started turning after a wack or 2 with the hammer...but... there were some that were so filled up with nastiness and rust that I hit it prolly 20-30 times. And 3 of them were no go's. They were just too stripped, those also happen to be a problem spot for the vice grips to get into. One of them is the screw that holds the tach cable into the engine :-\ What should I do about this guy? I'll work on them some more tomorrow. i have a Spanish test to study for tonight. In the mean time if you guys have any advice for my 3 problem screws that'd be great. I can't wait to get the motor off so I can finish breakin' her down.

Gracias

I'm assuming you've given the screws a good soaking in penetrating lubricant like WD40? If not, give the stubborn ones a good dose of it and leave overnight while you study. I have several cans of it up in the garage, and sue it when loosening rpetty much anything.

Another point is replacing the screws with allen (otherwise called 'hex-head') bolts. This will let you take them in and out as many times as you want without stripping them. Love my allen bolts!

You could also try blowtorching the problem bolts before loosening and seeing if that helps any. I'd use this as a last resort.

Cheers mate, and welcome! - boingk

boingk said:
I'm assuming you've given the screws a good soaking in penetrating lubricant like WD40? If not, give the stubborn ones a good dose of it and leave overnight while you study. I have several cans of it up in the garage, and sue it when loosening rpetty much anything.

Another point is replacing the screws with allen (otherwise called 'hex-head') bolts. This will let you take them in and out as many times as you want without stripping them. Love my allen bolts!

You could also try blowtorching the problem bolts before loosening and seeing if that helps any. I'd use this as a last resort.

Cheers mate, and welcome! - boingk

Have to go with this one! I love the look of the old philips drive, but the socket head cap screws (allen) are are a real nice feature, and as for the timeframe, they used allen head bolts during WW2 for some applications.

I can not recommend PB Blaster enough. Combined with an impact driver, it works wonders for stuck bolts.

Thanks! I'm definitely going with hex heads or allen bolts...prolly hex heads. I'll keep workin' on those bolts.

for those last screws, if you know someone with a welder just have them weld a blob to the head of the screw. grab that with locking pliers and it should get them out.

i actually took a wood chisel and drove it into one of the philips slots, it got gradually bigger and gave me something to push against with the chisel to turn it out. basically you are turning it into a much bigger flathead screw, which gives you more surface area. then slowly i lowered the chisel to drive it counter clockwise instead of into the bolt if that make sense
two things to remember, ok three
if you use a cold chisel the head will break off
even the wood chisel needs to be kinda dull like mine was (not a finish carpenter just dadoing handrails, kumaroo)
lastly use tap tap tap not wham wham cause again its a cutting device here on something you want to turn not cut so take it easy

or you can use a dremel to cut a flathead slot in the head but if it gets too hot wait until the head cools down or its gonna wanna run away.(the slot)
hope it helps

I bought a set of these cheapo screw extractors of ebay a while back:
http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Pc-Easy-Out-Screw-Extractor-Bolt-Remover-Free-Ship_W0QQitemZ250522177228QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54490ecc
They work wonders and all you got to do is drill a smaller hole in the stripped thread and start extracting. You could probably find them even cheaper then this set on ebay. Also I have tried some of the other screw extractors out their and these by far worked the best for me.

Killer starting point man. Best of luck and I hope I can be of assistance. Remember to keep buying tools. The more you have the better you'll be in the long run. The right equipment will make a pain in the ass, nothings gettin done, eff this kinda day turn into a holy shit, thats looking great, cant wait to keep working day in seconds.

Nice build!

old trick from an awesome mechanic friend of mine...

if you have screw that are stuck below the surface (like an exhaust stud, try using a welder to build up a few tacks on top of the bolt, (go slow so you don't melt the aluminum) and build up enough to get a pair of vise grips on it. Let it cool a bit, and give it a turn. The heat from the weld helps loosen things up and the bolt usually come right out.

Use this at a last resort though. If there is still a head on the screw, I have found great success in using an air hammer to get the fastener turning in the right direction. works great! if you don't have an air hammer, use a cold chisel. just be smart and patient. then replace everything with SS Allens, or ever SS pan heads for the factory look.

Man +1 on the ss Allen heads. They are one of the best "mods" you can do. Full kits can be bought for about $20-30. Well worth it. And like the other guys said, tools tools
tools! Makes me remember the day I bought my blind hole bearing puller...it was like I discovered electricity!

Kanticoy said:
...it was like I discovered electricity!

LOL.

That's a good analogy for when you've struggled and struggled, finally break down and get the right tool for the job. And since you've got all of those tools it's just a reason to find another project.

Jay

i trust that on a daily basis you have been soaking them down wiht somethign like liquid wrench right? you need to get a penatrating oil... WD40 is NOT that... people seem to think it is... but keep hitting it with some type of liquid wrench or something liek that and working on it... it will get loose. i have had bolts that would not budge, after 2 days of hitting them with the spray they almost just turned out by hand... it is good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom