Project Panty Dropper; 69 cb350

mr.umbrella

Been Around the Block
So I traded an old van for this since I've always wanted one. It ran ok when I got it but the tank was crusty and crap and it won't stay running.

When I got it home and nestled in the work space

1118091648.jpg

1118091648a.jpg

1118091648b.jpg

I pulled the tank and got a por 15 kit for it. I should have it done tomorrow and this week I'll rebuild the carbs and hopefully getting it running.

I also picked up/installed some picture worthy parts like a cb160 headlight w/speedo and clubmans which went on today. I'm all thumbs when it comes to wiring so I'll hopefully have it all buttoned up this week. The plan is to get all my parts gathered on it and ready/wired up. Then I'll tare it down for de-tabbing the frame and paint work.

Heres the clubmans w/new head light

1121091755.jpg

1121091756.jpg

1121091756a.jpg

When I pull apart the front end I'll grind down the tabs on the upper triple tree and polish it too.

Re: 69 cb 350

sweet bike. Love the chrome headlight arms. I like the cb350 & 175s with the fork covers. They look like inverted forks. Sweet!

What you doing with the old headlight?

I'll be putting up all the original parts up fs as soon as the bikes ironed out. Pm if there's anything you want. I also pulled the tach/speedo out too.

I got a few hrs. in on it today. I sorted all the front wiring for the new light setup, the bucket also has a neutral safety switch and high beam light in it too. I'm going blinkerless so I deleted all that wiring. The stock speedo is the right length. Need some led lights for it so its nice and bright. Hopefully I'll have it running this week and I'll start deleting what I need out of the wiring loom. and tear out the motor.

I still need to decide what type of tail section I want. I'm not sure if I want to cut and weld a loop in the frame on this one or use the seat pan to do a tail and try to hide the hideous rear frame...

I Also snagged up a nos semi-polished headlight switch off ebay once that gets in I'll run the wires in the bars.

Is that a stock tank? I haven't seen that combination of stripes/pad/colours before. I like it ;)

ian

If your gonna tear through the engine, get a manual. I'd go for a Honda man. the Clymer sucks.

I've got a pdf of the honda factory manual and wiring schematics for it if any one wants it let me know I'll send it your way!
I'm probably just gonna freshen up the top end for know. Next winter I do the whole motor and tranni. over.

mr.umbrella said:
I've got a pdf of the honda factory manual and wiring schematics for it if any one wants it let me know I'll send it your way!
I'm probably just gonna freshen up the top end for know. Next winter I do the whole motor and tranni. over.

Luckily I'm done with my motor for a while, but I def let you know should I need to dig into it again! Looks like you got a really good base to start with.

For those who asked I emailed over the wiring diagram its a really really good one and is in color and easy to read. Here's the link to the factory manual via pdf. It'll take a while to load but once it does right click and save as.

http://www.jonathanwoodart.com/jwidisk/cb_manuals/cb250_cb350_shopmanual.pdf

We lost power all night but my gf was a trooper and helped me por 15/seal the tank by candle light progress was somewhat made. I should have it finished up today and then I've gotta wait 4 days for it to finish drying! I'm getting excited to get it running just to rip it to shreds!

So after I got the wiring figured out and made sure she ran. I tucked away the bike for almost a month to finish off my garage (rewired, heated,insulated and almost done blue-boarding) It was 25* out yesterday and I was inside in a T-shirt sweating! So yesterday I finished up and figured I'd had enough of the garage done to tear the bike down so after a few hours of stripping it, I got it down to just a roller(every bolt and wiring connecter marked and accounted for). I started de-tabbing the frame and will finish it up today. I don't have a welder yet so next week it'll go to my buddy's for a rear hoop, gonna fill in and smooth any extra holes and I'm considering smoothing out/shaving the whole frame... I ordered a cafe seat while its en route I'm gonna try making my own.

I need to find a good local engine guy, and a chrome plater. If anyone knows of somebody in Mass. let me know please!

I'm also gonna make my own rear sets. I'll be using the passenger peg mounts. I've tested it out by sitting on there too see how comfortable it is(which is nothing like riding) and it's not too bad (compared to my last vintage bike with rear sets). I'm 5'11 and long armed is there any one else built like me with a similar build and set up with complaints?

The only pic. I snapped. after the tear down
1223091937.jpg

So more work on and in the garage again. I tossed the bike up on the work bench and spent an hour or so with the grinder and got rid of the front peg/kick stand mounts, flattened out around and under the seat tubes, and just a general clean up of all the old slag from crappy factory welds. I didn't do too much near the rear of the seat since its getting cut off and re-worked next week. Heres a few pics. doesn't look like much but its progress.

1224091528a.jpg

Before:
1224091531.jpg

After:
1224091528.jpg

1224091538.jpg

Before:
1224091539.jpg

After:
1224091553.jpg

1224091552.jpg

Small update. The frame is still at the welders but I picked up a complete cl 350 scrambler off c/l which has some good parts for this. The bikes getting the high pipes, I'm gonna steal the fork boots off of it, and using the factory scrambler shift lever. I'm gonna make my rear sets out of all oem parts, I know It'll work good just a question of looks... It'll look very period correct and vintage but I think it won't go well with what I wanna end up with. We'll see. Hopefully once the frame gets back I'll be able to get busy and make lots of progress! And my new seat pan should be in next week or so too.

Alright got the frame back and it came out pretty good. Still gonna do more work on it before paint but it's good enough to get the rest figured out. Also made some rear sets yesterday, and my cafe seat came in. I'm off to the garage to work on it for the day and snap some fresh pics. of the frame and seat. And I know its been said before but mcmaster-carr is awesome! I ordered some supplies thursday at 10 and it was all on my door the next day at noon. They have the best ship time and everything is always in stock!

I'm using the rear folding foot pegs for my rear sets. I need to add a few holes and polish them up today but they should get the job done!

0130001207.jpg

0130001208.jpg

0130001243.jpg

0130001328.jpg

0130001328a.jpg

So after spending all day in the garage I tossed the motor back in the frame. I got the cl exhaust off the donor bike cut up and on the cb. I had to modify the exhaust collars they were a bit too long, and made a sleeker bracket for the pipes. I need to order a super trapp and y-pipe next. I also made up my rear fender really excited it's sturdy enough not to need any brackets so it looks really clean. I put on the rear set's bent up the brake lever. I'm gonna get some beefier rod and make it strong since the oem one is flimsy as shit! I did some other odds and ends and cleaned up the shop. On to the pics....

The new rear hoop that matches up with the seat shape awesome!
0201001833.jpg

0201001420a.jpg

High pipes on and the new bracket for holding them up, you can also see the beginnings of my frame clean up much more to go once I get my welder! This bracket is cleaned up an slimmer now too.
0201001357b.jpg

Rear fender and the home-made bench brake I made( I grew up working in my gramps sheet metal shop and no longer have access to all the tools it's a such a bummer!)

0201001830.jpg

0201001646.jpg

0201001645.jpg

And how she sat at the end of the night!

0201001834.jpg

Another day a ton of work even though it doesn't look it from the pics. I got the wiring 95% sorted, Need to get one of those speed cell batteries. I spent a good 10 hours pulling apart the harness stripping out the blinker setup shortening and lengthening wires. I also made one of the radioshack rectifiers. I'm amazed at how small it is compared to the antiquated 60's tech. Any ways I got a couple more pics for those who are interested....

0205002039.jpg

A little more tidying up and It'' be all set.

0205002039a.jpg

I still wanted to run a starter but hate having cluttered bars so this little guy is the starter button thats hidden under the tank.

0205002038a.jpg

For some reason I'm really excited about this little guy and it's only a new headlight switch!

0205002038.jpg

Small update with official project name, and some more work.

Finished the rest of the wiring yesterday. Almost Everything worked first try I'm very surprised since wiring was never my strong point. I have a few questions for anyone who knows about the "2 phase" day/night generator system. I want to run the charging system at full time night mode to keep the battery juiced up and headlights going better so, I jumped the two wires from the alternator that go to the headlight switch (the yellow and white wires). And I don't think the bike is charging..... ??? it has about 12.8 volts which I'm pretty sure is just the voltage still left in the battery (shouldn't it be at almost 14 since the generator should be in "night" mode?). So I took a closer look at the diagram and the switch looks like it grounds out the yellow wire to kick the generator into "night" mode. Other than that everything is spot on!

I also ordered some brazing material and a micro snap acting switch from mcmaster-carr (for the brake light switch). Gonna get some fiberglass today and get the seat coal widened and stretched. Tax returns should be in next week so I'll be able to afford the big fun stuff....

Back
Top Bottom