82 CB900F... The Devil Is In The Details

Ronin

Hi all,
Today I'm going to start my first build thread and hopefully you will enjoy.
So, I decided I wanted a motorcycle. I went to the Harley dealer and put $500 down to hold a 2006 Street Bob. After thinking about it for a week, I started thinking I needed a starter bike to practice own. I looked in Craig's list and this is what I found:

Re: 82 CB900F... Yeah a bobber build

The guy was asking $900 for it and it looked like it had potential. So I went to check it out. He told me he couldn't be there but he would leave it out so I could take a look at it. What I discovered was that someone had done an awsome job painting the tank.

The engine ran really strong and I loved the tank. There was some carb issues and it idled funny, but I said f it and gave the guy $750 and rode it home. Well almost, it ran outta gas about 2 miles down the freeway.

And yes, my wife has already told me how silly I look in this pic.

Stay tunned cause it's about to get awsome and I'm gonna unleash hell on this beast.

Tuned in. What are the plans? I think you got a great deal btw!

Looks like a nice start. Time to tear into it and get to work.

Looks alot further along than what most of us start with. Drop the forks abit to level it out, bobbed rear fender, knobbier tires, drop the headlight/smaller headlight and I'd said you've got a nice runner. 8)

06' street bob huh... that is what i got!... then end of january she goes under the knife... again... doing a big bore, heads, pistons, cams yada yada yada goal is 100hp 100 ft lbs of torque.... also going to powder the frame and tins (again)... and finish my full streetglide fairing and stereo...
here are some pics of mine... tweekin and traveler also have dynas on here... i also have one in the shop about finished ready for pick up

basicly stock...
rbwto2.jpg

2vbo6yh.jpg

ooh ya! get a fender on that sucker!!! wiht wifey you may want to use something like a sportster fender so you can put a passanger pill on the rear fender and take her for a scoot... is that a CB900 with the high low gearing as well?

Ok, here we go. 1st, thanks for reading guys it is definitly cool to get some feedback. The first thing I did when I got the bike home was to take the stock handle bars and reversed them and flip them down... this was more to see the appearence and get an idea for how comfortable the riding position would be with lower bars.
You might not have noticed, but there were no front brakes on this CB900F (BTW only 5 gears, no high-low; that's on the C model). So, being that this is my first bike and i didn't like the idea of "suicide brakes" I searched around and found some front brake calipers from a guy who lives in BFE...I live in Sacramento. (His backyard and 4 car garage are filled with old hondas and parts in case you guys need anything - just let me know). So while I was there I picked up two old fenders that looked about the right size. In total $80. I got the brakes home, slapped them on and bled them. They seemed to work fine. Then I took an electric grinder and cut one of the fenders in half. So here are the two options:

Attachments

• photo6.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 384
  • mycb900.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,348

I like #2 with more of a downward angle and shorter shocks... to me #1 just shows off how the frame is stock with a floating fender

I'm liking number 1 if he's keeping the rear more or less as is jrk. I'm getting a real thing for bob-racer's at the moment, combining the stylings of both. If you're putting a cowl on the rear then i have to agree, number 2.

I say no rear fender at all. Instead, remake the seat so you don't risk dragging your 'taint on the rear tire when you get on the power.

--Chris

I like the no fender option too. If you have to have it, black it out so it disappears.

motofiaccone said:
don't risk dragging your 'taint on the rear tire when you get on the power.

--Chris

this made me laugh hard!!! :D :D

Cool you are getting the front brakes worked out. I really agree with Staffy. However, this is all opinion stuff so in the end gather the info, think about it , then do what you want.

I also agree with Joe on the shorter shocks. That frame looks perfect to do a slight mod to and make a huge huge difference. If you take a line and draw it towards the back bone. Make that the top shock mount. Cut off everything above that and weld back on a set of seat rails starting at the back of the tank and ending at the new top shock mounts. Get shorter shocks. Lastly, weld in gussets and add a solo seat mounted on a leaf spring. Fake oil bag for the electros and ride the shit out of it. I kid you not it would be kick ass!

Thanks for the kind words and ideas. The brakes are off along with the master cylinder, both getting a complete rebuild. The brakes would not release and became over pressurised on a short little ride yesterday. Also, the carbs are off for cleaning; right now they are soaking in Sea Foam (rubber and plastic pieces in soap and water).
Troybilt - you really got me thinking on that...
Anyways, lots of parts ordered: Straight drag bar, lights, speedometer, tachometer, hand grips, and various little do-dads.
Also, matching paint is on the way.
I orderd this about a week ago... here's a sneak peak. Should give you an idea of the direction I'm heading.

Back
Top Bottom