1974 CB 360 ~ Project "37"

Which Strip should I choose for the tank?

• Offset Wide Stripe

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Offset Thin Stripe

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

hecklejk

Been Around the Block
SO here sher is, a 1974 Honda CB360 runner with title picked up off of Craigslist for $150. A little background on the bikes name... I started my adult live out by joining the Marine Corps at the ripe old age of 17... Training day 1 was my 18th birthday (not the best birthday I have ever had), and on that day we were all assigned Laundry Numbers. These numbers identify each persons laundry when it is sent to the laundry facility.. Mine happened to be 37, and ever since 37 has been a sudo lucky number for me... I sat around trying to come up with a good name for this project and of all people, my wife pipes in and says why not give it a number..... what number does she choose to blurt out you ask.... that's right, 37(not knowing the significance of this number). So it was decided...

PROJECT 37 as she sits right now (at my brother's house in Raleigh)
IMG955249.jpg

IMG950073.jpg

Plans:
Rebuild front brake master cylinder
Rebuild Carbs (rejet if needed)
Pod Filters
Clean the 30+ years of crap off the ol girl
Euro style bars
White grips
British Racing Green paint
High CL style pipes (bought from a fellow DTTer)
Build seat off of stock seat pan (possibly making a removable rear cowl like the new Thruxton)
New rubbers

That is the plan right now, let me know what you think...

Looks like a good jumping off point man! Your mods sound like theyll come together nicely. That is if you dont change the plan, which you probobly will. It always happens! :D Ill be watching this build for sure!

Sounds good. My laundry number was 52 I can't believe i remember that as i haven't thought about it since I left boot camp. Good luck on the build and Hoohrah

I'll be watching this thrad as well hecklejk. Being that I almost bought this bike, but apparently you or your brother gota hold of the guy selling it early in the morning. cause I called him at around 10:30AM. Either way he never returned my call. :mad:

Oh well. i hope it turns out to be a great project for you. Who knows, maybe we will meet someday and give each other the riders wave ;)

Wnen do you plan on picking up your bike and where are you located?

Eddie

Good score on the bike Heckle. $150? Was there a possum living in the airbox or something?

If those CL pipes are the ones I'm thinking of, they looked amazing. And I'm pretty sure you will be re-jetting if you throw some pods on there.

Ill be watching this one too!

thompsonmx100 said:
Sounds good. My laundry number was 52 I can't believe i remember that as i haven't thought about it since I left boot camp. Good luck on the build and Hoohrah

37 has been lodged in my brain since 1997.... I spent 8 1/2 long years in the Corps, from Iraq to Afganistan and the number 37 just kept following me... I would be remis if I did not name this build 37!!

Semper FI

i also talked to that guy about the bike. i was in wilmington all week doing my night job so i couldn't drive up there. well dang just glad somebody picked it up and after your cb200 debauch i am glad you will be able to get one going.
you are in charlotte right? would you be interested in looking at a bike for me i need an expert opinion (or at least not a novice) so i can decide if i should drive there to get it. it is a 1968 cl125 on CL

xulf13 said:
I'll be watching this thrad as well hecklejk. Being that I almost bought this bike, but apparently you or your brother gota hold of the guy selling it early in the morning. cause I called him at around 10:30AM. Either way he never returned my call. :mad:

Oh well. i hope it turns out to be a great project for you. Who knows, maybe we will meet someday and give each other the riders wave ;)

Wnen do you plan on picking up your bike and where are you located?

Eddie

Yeah Eddie, I called the guy at 9:30 AS SOON as I saw it... I had just gotten effed over by the guy I was gonna buy a bike from, and refused to let it happen to me again!!!

I am in Charlotte, my brother lives in Cary so he took the 30 minute drive down to the guys house and picked her up for me... I am planning on coming up there in the near future, my sister-in-law is having her 2nd child so when she does I will be headed up that way to get the bike...

Parts should start arriving today (fingers crossed) so I can start preping everything... I am hoping to get this bike on the rode within a month!!

Cheers,
Kevin

rjz5400 said:
i also talked to that guy about the bike. i was in wilmington all week doing my night job so i couldn't drive up there. well dang just glad somebody picked it up and after your cb200 debauch i am glad you will be able to get one going.
you are in charlotte right? would you be interested in looking at a bike for me i need an expert opinion (or at least not a novice) so i can decide if i should drive there to get it. it is a 1968 cl125 on CL

Yeah, not a problem bro... I love old bikes, even if I cant buy em... If you want me to go look at it PM me the ad so I can get in touch with the seller.

Big R said:
Good score on the bike Heckle. $150? Was there a possum living in the airbox or something?

If those CL pipes are the ones I'm thinking of, they looked amazing. And I'm pretty sure you will be re-jetting if you throw some pods on there.

Ill be watching this one too!

Hey Big R which pipes were you thinking of?

Hey Kevin, that was about one hour earlier than my call. But, seriously, I'm glad you got it. I read about the whole deal when the guy sold the bike from under you on another thread. Hey, If the weather is good (rideable) the day or weekend you come to the raleigh area let me know and maybe we can meet and plan a ride for later in the spring or summer. Being that RJZ5400 is in wilmington and a few others are in NC we should be able to meet somewhere in the middle or something, maybe plan a dragon's tail event of that sort.

Post some photos of the parts you got. I love looking at photos. I gotta start my thread today. so I gotta go.

Eddie

xulf13 said:
Hey Kevin, that was about one hour earlier than my call. But, seriously, I'm glad you got it. I read about the whole deal when the guy sold the bike from under you on another thread. Hey, If the weather is good (rideable) the day or weekend you come to the raleigh area let me know and maybe we can meet and plan a ride for later in the spring or summer. Being that RJZ5400 is in wilmington and a few others are in NC we should be able to meet somewhere in the middle or something, maybe plan a dragon's tail event of that sort.

Post some photos of the parts you got. I love looking at photos. I gotta start my thread today. so I gotta go.

Eddie

Sounds like a plan to me... I have been looking for come DTTers to hit the road with for a while... I have met a few, only problem is I haven't had a ride!! I will be posting up some photos as soon as I start getting parts...

First parts rolled in this afternoon!! I love having things delivered to the office!!! Motivates me to do some work when I get home!!!

Got my new tank for the project.. Its a 1975 CB 550t tank, scored on evilbay for $25 plus shipping... great buy in my opinion (very mininal surface rust on the inside & 0 dents)
IMG00027-20100120-1415.jpg

IMG00026-20100120-1415.jpg

IMG00028-20100120-1416.jpg

Whilst browsing evilbay for this tank, I stumbled across the shape for the custom seat I am going to build. I don't know how many of you watching this have seen my CB200 build thread, but I hand shaped the seat for it and I think it came out really nice but the Upholster just put a single sheet of vinyl over it, so the hump is not as pronounced as I would like it to be.... I am going for a little bit bigger hump this time
seatshape.jpg

Well, time to punch out early for the day and go home and start stripping some paint!!!

Cheers,
Kevin

I was thinking of the pipes that a new"ish" member posted in his introduction and put them in the "selling" section. Had the 175 muffler welded on to 350 or 360 headers.

If these are the ones, check out that muffler! I'm no expert but it might be too resrictive for you.

Hi Heck. I dont know what the underside of the CB360 tank looks like but depending on how low the tank sits on the frame and where the coils are there might be some clearance issues. I picked up the same tank back in the spring of last year and realized that the 550 tank didn't have anywhere near the clearance for the coils on my CB400F. If you're any good with the mallet, its nothing a little wacking cant solve. I love the look of that tank and I was so happy to find one in great condition but was greatly disappointed when I looked at how it might fit. Also, the 550 tank was longer than my CB400F. Hope this helps some.

Big R said:
I was thinking of the pipes that a new"ish" member posted in his introduction and put them in the "selling" section. Had the 175 muffler welded on to 350 or 360 headers.

If these are the ones, check out that muffler! I'm no expert but it might be too resrictive for you.

Yep, those are the ones... I was planning on keeping the muffler on there, but if it is to restrictive I will just wack it off and weld some reverse cones or cocktail shakers on..

speedknot said:
Hi Heck. I dont know what the underside of the CB360 tank looks like but depending on how low the tank sits on the frame and where the coils are there might be some clearance issues. I picked up the same tank back in the spring of last year and realized that the 550 tank didn't have anywhere near the clearance for the coils on my CB400F. If you're any good with the mallet, its nothing a little wacking cant solve. I love the look of that tank and I was so happy to find one in great condition but was greatly disappointed when I looked at how it might fit. Also, the 550 tank was longer than my CB400F. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the heds up, when I got home yesterday I plopped it on my old CB200 frame and it was quite the snug fit... I am hoping the the tubular style frame will allow a little more room for the tank. I guess I will just have to wait and see.... What do you mean by "its nothing a little wacking cant solve"? Do you mean hammering the inside of the tank to get the coils to fit??

Cheers,
Kevin

hecklejk said:
Thanks for the heds up, when I got home yesterday I plopped it on my old CB200 frame and it was quite the snug fit... I am hoping the the tubular style frame will allow a little more room for the tank. I guess I will just have to wait and see.... What do you mean by "its nothing a little wacking cant solve"? Do you mean hammering the inside of the tank to get the coils to fit??

Cheers,
Kevin
Yea Kev. That's exactly what I mean. Someone else suggested it to me when I had the 550 tank but I really didn't think that I could do an acceptable job so I scrapped the idea. I just loved the way that tank looked. Good luck with it.

Doug

speedknot said:
Yea Kev. That's exactly what I mean. Someone else suggested it to me when I had the 550 tank but I really didn't think that I could do an acceptable job so I scrapped the idea. I just loved the way that tank looked. Good luck with it.

Doug

Thanks for the tip, I will see what needs to be done as far as clearance goes. I am really hoping that I can get it to fit, I love the lines of that tank..

Cheers,
Kevin

More parts arrived this morning!! ;D

got my Black Euro bars and my Grand Turismo White Grips!!! I think these are going to look kick ass on the bike!!
IMG00029-20100121-1159.jpg

IMG00030-20100121-1200.jpg

Back
Top Bottom