Suzuki GR650 - back to work...

Re: Suzuki GR650- a "proper" riding video

Rook! How've you been man? It's been a while since I've logged in anywhere else, so I know what you mean........I don't think you've seen this pic yet:

100_1142.jpg

I'm still working out some of the quirks when I can (mostly jetting). But the biggest improvement hands down is the dual disc brakes up front with stainless lines. I've ridden the stock bike above (even has the original rubber line - yikes!) and you can tell immediately that the brakes are worlds apart. As far as comfort goes........I firmly believe that my current setup is better for your back. With the pegs below your crotch, every little bump is sent to your legs and not your spine. If I were to get the handle bars about 2" higher and just slightly back a little more, it would relieve a lot of pressure from my wrists and neck (and honestly, there isn't enough pressure for me to be concerned).

Let's see.....swapping out to VM carbs hasn't produced any mind blowing power yet, but I am still working on them. If you recall, I had the original CV carbs with a K&N pod last year. Because this is my daily rider (rain or shine) I wanted to have some type of airbox with an OEM paper filter so that's the "cap" to any power production. I also swapped out the front sprocket for a 16 tooth one I found on ebay. It still has enough power to lift the front tire off the ground, or break the rear tire loose in lower gears if you aren't careful........I prefer the tire/wheel setup as is - but I never liked the original setup to begin with. The current setup is more confidence inspiring to me. I find myself leaning into turns more now instead of fighting the front end with the old 19" wheel.

If you are ever near western PA, let me know. You are more than welcome to take it for a spin to feel the differences for yourself. Be fore warned: this isn't the "tame and easy going" GR650 you know. It is more of a snarling, bucking, compact version of your bike.

I smile every time I see this bike Rich. I guess I missed it though....
Why the move away from the full fairing? The flyscreen you have setup now looks good on the bike so really it IS just curiosity.

Two reasons: money and time. Other financial obligations came up that required my attention. And even if I did come up with the cash, I didn't want to hurry up and slap a fairing on there. It will happen eventually, I just don't want to be rushed, ya know? Besides, the little Katana fairing will look good on any future project, so it wasn't wasted cash either!

Ahh....for some reason I thought you'd already purchased one.

I had to go back to page one to even remember what the bike looked like. Rich man, this was quite the makeover. I too would love to take it for a spin, or even just see it in person, haha. Love it, man.

Ha! Go ahead and stop down if you're near Pittsburgh Chris. I'll make sure it has a full tank of gas for you.

Any chance of you guys making it to Barbers this year?

Unfortunately I don't think so. One of these years I just need to take a summer off so I can go check out all these get-togethers.

I can dream right? ::)

All good man. Just send the 550 down in your place.

No? Worth a shot...........

Well, I actually suggested to Tyler a while back that he could take it to the annual vintage show here this summer if I was gone on a fire. PA's not that much farther... ;D

Having ridden both versions of Rich's GR's I can attest to how DIFFERENT they really are. You did a great job Rich.

Not to hyjack the thread, but I'd ride pretty far to see your bike in person Chris...

Not to hyjack the thread, but I'd ride pretty far to see your bike in person Chris...
[/quote]

+1, I rode pretty far to see Gretta and 1 evolution of Willow, I would do it again to see the Gulf.

Re: Suzuki GR650- accidental GP syle exhaust........

So I haven't been doing too much to the bike recently since most of my riding has been across town and under 65mph lately. But over the weekend I got to head down to Troybuilt's place with Beatnic and Jim. Here's a pic of all the scoots lined up before we left.

photobucket-23163-1336356752223.jpg

From left to right: Troy's Goldwing, Jim's BMW, Beatnic's GS750, and my GR650. I was having some horrible problems on the way down - really poor fuel economy (actually ran out of gas and drained some from Jim......thanks again buddy!), terrible midrange response, no top end power, etc, etc. It felt like it was running rich and the plugs were black so I tried adjusting the needles and pulling some discs from the Supertrapp muffler. On the ride back to PA it seemed to run a LITTLE better but still badly. After saying goodbye to Jim and Doug, I was about 45 minutes from home when my muffler popped off! The muffler clamp / rear exhaust hanger was holding the muffler so I didn't lose it, but it did drag on the highway until I got onto the shoulder. I rolled the muffler up in some dirty clothes and rode the rest of the way home with an open pipe. But here's a pic of the carnage:

photobucket-1009-1336356751688.jpg

Luckily for me, Supertrapp sells all the parts individually. So I have replacement bits on order. And also on a brighter note - once the muffler came off the motor absolutely came to life! I was struggling to hit 80 mph before, and got up to 100 mph easily without it. So I found out what was giving me so much grief - way too much backpressure!

I feel for you Rich. The same thing happened to me last summer, except I lost the can entirely. It took me a couple days to find it, and it was toast. And all my fault for making the mounting bracket out of aluminum.

But hey, at least something good came from losing your muffler!

Yeah, if I would have lost this one, it would get replaced with a cheaper steel one. There's no way I could spend that kinda coin right now.

Always a silver lining I guess!

True, and it did happen while riding...another bonus!

Ha you lucky bugger. I wish I could just ride to visit Troy's on a weekend like that. Cool that you found out about hte back pressure issue. I have a similar issue on the 450, I put baffles in to make her less noisy but now lost the top end I had. Hasn't bugged me too much as I am riding all back roads with 40 MPH speed limits but I will need to find a comprimise between noise and running well. What are you going to do to the Super trapp remove disks? Or can you drill out parts to decrease pressure?

I had to order more discs - 4 of them got ground down and I only had 8 anyway. So I ordered 12 more. Any more than that I'll have to order longer mounting bolts.

So the disks relieve back pressure I am guessing?

Yeah- there's a small gap between each one. So the more discs, the more gaps.

Back
Top Bottom