_Eurotrash XS 650_ aluminium racer with modern bits_QUESTIONS!

thanatos

Hello all,

Just stumbled on this board and thought I'd share my project(aren't they all) in case someone's interested.
It started out as '72 Yamaha XS 650 ratbike I bought for 800e a year and a half ago, It wasn't charging (big surprise!), the wiring was chaotic, oil leaking out here and a s***load of other little problems. I rode it for a while but all the little problems started pissing me off so I just pushed it in the garage and decided to start working on it once I got my other bikes finished.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it.
40050.jpeg

And this is what I have now. The tank is WBO-racing from germany. The swingarm is from a Suzuki GS550, I tried fitting an alloy one from a Kawasaki Zephyr but just couldn't get it to fit, might change it in the future.To save some weight and give the rear a cleaner look I decided to fabricate the monoshock design.
40043.jpeg

I have a CBR 600 shock that I bought of of ebay coming in sometime this week. I can change the rear height by rotating the disc.
40047.jpeg

A rear view. Getting 3 exact bends in a pipe 60cm's long wasn't easy but I really like the slim "waist" look and the way they disappear underneath the tank.
40048.jpeg

Next up on my shopping list.
40053.jpeg

I got a friend of a friend to do all the welding in exhange for a bottle of vodka. I'd say he's worth every drop.
40049.jpeg

As I'm still in school and working part time, this might take a while to finish. I'm hoping to get it mostly done by March when I get the motor back from the tuner. After that I still have about 6-8 weeks before the season starts to finish it. At least I'm off to a good start and my shop is only across the street. I'll post more details later...

-Jouni-

Re: _Eurotrash XS 650_

bleh :mad:

Could one of the moderators move this topic into the Project category? Don't know how it ended up here.

Going to be a GREAT looking 650...check out Tintin's 650 thread.

Welcome to the board!

Man, that is some nice tank. Mine is nice, but I like the round lines on yours. How well did the pivot on the new swingarm fit?

Man, that is some nice tank. Mine is nice, but I like the round lines on yours. How well did the pivot on the new swingarm fit?

Thanks, I've checked out yours on the XS 650 Garage board as well as here. I've actually had some of the same ideas as you with the battery in the rear "hump" and the ignition box+regulator/rectifier+fusebox underneath the seat in some sort of a tray.

English isn't my first language so do you mean the pivot end of the swingarm or the pivot axle? I had to shave 1.5cm off the swingarm to get it in. I'm also going to need new needle bearings and new bushings to accomodate the stock pivot axle as the suzuki axle was 2mm thinner than the stock.

That's a really cool mono-conversion. Makes it look easy!

Are you gonna brace up the tube tho?

This tube? I'm not sure yet, should I? (The thought did cross my mind)
40588.jpeg

Right now I'm trying to figure out which size rims I want to/can order. The old 18" fits quite snuggly into the swingarm with plenty of room on the sides. I'm hoping to get 150/160-70-18 or so in the back. Can someone with an XS measure the chain/frame distance so I can estimate where the chain is going to run?

I really like the way you did that uper damper mount--especially with the welded-in bungs. The way you have it now, you can play with the ride height using the different mounting bolts. Once you find what you like, it will be easy to make a new bracket. I like that. You also designed in a nice, progressive damper arc which should really feel good.

Now, finding the appropriate damper with the right spring rate, length and damping will be quite a challege. Hopefully, the one you will work well. Do keep us updated with your progress.

--Thanks, Chris

Yeah that's the one... I'm not sure if you HAVE to, I was just wondering - cause it's a cool idea. and if that was all you had to do (combined with finding th right shoch, etc, then it would be a great project...

I was sort of asking in hopes someone would pipe in on wether it needs to be braced.

Cant wait to see some more progress!

I wouldn't add more bracing because the load path up the spine is pretty well done. The load should go to the neck and the direction seems good.

--Chris

Re: _Eurotrash XS 650_big rears and stiff legs 21/11/07

Been a while since my last update.I Spent an arm and a probably two legs getting the Öhlins for the Mighty Maico rebuilt, so I've been a bit short on cash - hence the neglected XS. :-\

Got the new rear shock a fews weeks ago:

I took a risk buying a random shock off ebay but I got it cheap and it fit (just barely). Also, with all the preload, compression and rebound adjustments, I'm pretty sure I can get it set up right.

Christmas came early this year:

Tail section from Germany.

And the USD-forks from Sweden

I'm really digging the way the bike's turning out, even if I say so myself. ;D

Next up:

headlight I was originally planning on using a vrod-headlight, but since Newman already used it I'm going for plan B. I'll post pictures if my idea is executable.
rearlight made new plates for the chain tensioner and integrated some LEDs into the rear of the swingarms, haven't had a chance to test them yet.
and a shitload of other things I need to get around to

I'll update once there's something to update.

OMG, that tank and tail are beautiful!!! Bike is looking awsome, great work. Can't wait to see it finished.

About the tank ...

Is that XS650 tank listed on the WBO-racing.de site? It doesn't look the same.

Is that an SR500 tank?

Does anyone know if an SR500 tank will fit on and XS650 frame?

It's actually a moto-guzzi tank. 80mm longer than the stock.

http://www.wbo-racing.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=65&category_id=3&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=47/

Basically I have a japanese motorcycle (reliability) with italian styling (made in germany though), I wish I could get some british handling (of the era). The headlight was going to be the american thing but now I'll have to see...what are american motorcycles known for?

oh yeah. It vibrates almost as bad good as a harley.

Pretty much any tank will fit any frame, it's just a matter of how much work it'll take. I'm guessing the SR tank (or any tank made for the SR) will fit the XS. It's somewhat smaller though so it might look a bit goofy.

this project looks like you've got wayy to much time and money invested in it to do anything with that vespa for a loooong time. better just send it this way and ill take care of it for you. ;D

Hmm.. it's going to be a tough judgement on who has the nicer XS by the time you & Tintin finish... you guys deserve your own biker build-off special!

NICE SEAT! I might have to get me one of those some day. Is it from WBO? I couldn't see it on their site. They have reasonable prices for the tanks (about US$650) compared to the Tank Shop or other places, but shipping and duties/taxes would add a lot to that.

Some very nice stuff on that WBO site. I'll have to start saving my pennies for the next project ;)

CanadaDan said:
Hmm.. it's going to be a tough judgement on who has the nicer XS by the time you & Tintin finish... you guys deserve your own biker build-off special!

My money is on Tintins. I prefer the period correct cafes.

DrJ said:
My money is on Tintins. I prefer the period correct cafes.

I'm with DrJ on this one. Don't get me wrong ... I think Thanatos's bike is pretty awesome, but there's so many modern bits on there that it's almost skinning a new bike with old bits instead of the other way around.

Tintin said:
NICE SEAT! I might have to get me one of those some day. Is it from WBO? I couldn't see it on their site. They have reasonable prices for the tanks (about US$650) compared to the Tank Shop or other places, but shipping and duties/taxes would add a lot to that.

Some very nice stuff on that WBO site. I'll have to start saving my pennies for the next project ;)

The Enfield Continental tank used to be priced at $761.00 in my old No. 7 catalog,but now they are priced at almost a $1,000.00!
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/petrol-tank-continental-polished-alloy-p-6564.html

Back
Top Bottom