Winston: My CB360 Project

Re: Winston: My CB360 Project (new fiberglass seat)

kzpokey said:
LOL...that's really funny. I owe a lot of kudos to cafematty for all his help...so he's not in the dog house...yet ;)

Also, great to see another lady on the forum! Are you working on a bike right now?

Alright glad I didn't get him in too much trouble! Keep up the good work. I love watching fast builds like yours!

Yep, I'm working on an XS400 named Stella ;) I'm really looking forward to doing the seat, yours came out nice!

HAHA.. nah.. it's all good fun.. I wouldn't even dream of comparing them.. especially since I have a CL360 in the corner waiting on me when we finish the Beemer and the CB360...

All in all, I've done very little on Kate's build.. Mainly help in the way of advice through experience.. (and occasionally running the angle grinder).. I even ignore her requests for help sometimes.. Not because I'm a jerk.. but because sometimes it's the best way to learn.. solving the problem yourself..

All in all, she's done a tremendous job and I'm quite impressed.. I think her bike is going to be amazing, and look forward to terrorizing the streets with her..

Update on the seat:

After letting the fiberglass cure for 24 hours we pulled it off last night and I trimmed it up like a Christmas ham. I used a grinder blade on our dremel tool and it worked really well. I'll be taking off another centimeter or so, but I wanted to get the general line of it. There are a few areas in the back at the base that will have to be shaped a bit, but for the most part I'm really happy with how it hardened. It is such a good fit too that I'm thinking I may not even need to bolt it down. Any thoughts?

Tank Update: We let the CLR soak for 48 hours and it removed a good deal of the sticky stuff inside. We are going to do another round and use it full strength with some metal bits inside to loosen up all of the nasties.

eae6cfc2.jpg

0ad2c998.jpg

Love it. The tank and the tail work very well together.

Pipyr said:
Yep, I'm working on an XS400 named Stella ;) I'm really looking forward to doing the seat, yours came out nice!

Awesome! I'll check it out! I didn't see your link to your build in your name before.

The seat turned out really nice! I would definitely fasten it down somehow though. You don't necessarily have to bolt it down, I know some people use industrial Velcro...something to think about. Keep up the great work!

DBC said:
The seat turned out really nice! I would definitely fasten it down somehow though. You don't necessarily have to bolt it down, I know some people use industrial Velcro...something to think about. Keep up the great work!

I'm going the velcro route as well. Mine fits pretty snug.

I'd go with the velcro too. Joe (aka. JRK, aka. Powder Pro) swears by the stuff. Seat is really turning out. Well done.

good choice on the POR15 tank sealer. the stuff works great. I've used it on 5 or 6 tanks now...you won't be disappointed ;)

Tank Update:

I picked up this bad boy a couple days ago.

72970f25.jpg

I decided today was the day...although I wish I would have read the instructions that it would take at least 3-4 hours to do...

This is what the first treatment of CLR brought to my attention..these nasty little holes on one side. I'm thankful though that they are the only ones.

90d988d1.jpg

This tape method has worked extremely well so far to keep this little holes sealed shut.

2787bbf5.jpg

This was the first step, the Marine Cleaner.

a2f36759.jpg

After taking turns shaking the tank for 20 minutes, the cleaner removed a great deal of the sludge, which we then rinsed with water.

6fabaf2f.jpg

The next step in the trio was the Metal Ready.

c97b57a5.jpg

This is hanging out in the tank as I type. In fact I think it's almost time to flip over. I'll be back with an update soon. I think it's going to be a late night...

Oh and this is how we are keeping the lid shut since we had to break the lock off.

ecdc4da7.jpg

Hey Kate, if'n that tank is shot due to the holes I have a 78 cb400t1 tank you can have. It has a funky lid on it, but it is yours if you like.

This is a stock off ebay.
!B+czUKQEGk~$(KGrHqQOKjwEzm9B1-qIBM+q)Y1rbQ~~0_12.JPG

And here is how mine sits.
2009_0103Paint0006.jpg

there is a bondo-ed dent on one side, but it is a solid workable tank if you want it.

CrescentSon said:
Hey Kate, if'n that tank is shot due to the holes I have a 78 cb400t1 tank you can have. It has a funky lid on it, but it is yours if you like.

Awesome!! I'll keep you updated on if the tank sealer worked! Thanks so much!

Tank before:

50a9c5cc.jpg

Tank after:

fb3b10c3.jpg

Here's hoping that stuff does its job, and that I didn't screw it up with my constant dozing during the night. By the time it finished drying and I got the Por 15 in there it was almost 6:30 this morning. Needless to say my nights sleep was a bit restless and interrupted by tank turnings, etc...but hey, it certainly looks prettier!

Back
Top Bottom