CB550Four mix of cafe and bratstyle

wiz

Hi,

I've started my CB550 project with an idea of making nice cafe out of it but later I came to conclusion that maybe mixing styles might be more interesting. I'm a huge fan of clip-ons so I decided to have them but I don't really like high rear suspensions that most of cafe racers have. I decided to lower my bike and create mini tail (not exactly cafe but still something). The first chellange was how to prevent my tail form touching rear tire. I wanted to have as less space as possible. Hard tail seemed to be an option but still I didn't want to get rid of my cool looking dumpers so.........I've modified them to "hard, non-working" dumpers. I know that hardtail is maybe not the best idea but I want to give it a shot. If it doesn't work I will go for regular dumpers and than worry about my tail. Right now it looks like this.
More photos and stories you can find at my site: www.pinup-garage.blogspot.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very clever and nice work, but really bad idea. Why do you find the rear end too high - vertically challenged or a "style" thing?

This is rather "style" thing. Front will also go down. This won't be much work to go back to regular suspension but as I said I want to give it a try. If it works like crap I won't sacrifice anything for look.

Everything about this is rad. That said... Reinforce the swinger and replace the swingarm bushings or you could cause some real damage.

Are the shocks tight enough to not have the tire hit the tail? I agree with Valvesprung, I'll use his exact phrase of , " I dig that cafe meets hugger look of the cowl."

These shocks are fake ones. This is hardtail looking like regular dumpers. Meanwhile you can check pics of almost ready backtail :)

teazer said:
Very clever and nice work, but really bad idea. Why do you find the rear end too high - vertically challenged or a "style" thing?

Teazer, just wondering why you had said really bad idea? Do you mean as far as how your back will hurt? Or do you mean as a design/structural problem...such as..the swingarm cracking or something like that? Just wondering (so I can learn a bit more)

With that said, it does LOOK really cool, and I do still love that tail. I miss my 550 four :(

So you're chasing the ride of hard tail with the look of cushy suspension. Isn't it usually the other way around?

That tail is badass though.

Usually it is other way round but this won't be usual bike :) I forgot to mention that more pics can be found at my blog. I don't want to spam with to many pics here. Check address in signature.

Small update. New front light is in place. Need to remove all those crazy things out of clip-ons so it will be clean as hell. Brake pump goes under the tank. So only clutch and brake levers will remain. Of course few more pics at my blog :)

Ok guys. Fender is ready. Now I have to cut off some elements of frame I won't need anymore. Below are concept pics of paintings. This will be rust like paint on tank and fender. mat black wheels and shiny black frame. clipons will be mounted higher.

Back
Top Bottom