Airhead Cafe - R80RC

buckeyebike

Over 1,000 Posts
Started life as an '84 R80RT . . . has been a slow but steady project, but the fire under my ass was lit when I found out my painter is moving to CA at the end of July. So, finally got the seat done and changed out the headlight assembly for one off a Thruxton. Still have a ways to go, but the next pictures will be with the new paint ;D

Before: '84 R80RT w/ 36K miles- strong runner, clean and original:
R80RT013.jpg

During: Gotta be 75 ponunds lighter . . . a few of the changes so far . . .
-Airbox gone
-Clip-ons
-Lowered gauges
-Thruxton headlamp assembly
-Headlight ears
-Custom seat using stock pan- heavily modified

AirheadCafe008.jpg

AirheadCafe004.jpg

Left to do . . .
-Paint
-Powdercoat wheels gloss black
-New tires
-Rearsets
-Tail light/plate bracket
-Relocate ignition
-Polish and paint odds-'n-ends

Buckeye... You have too many bikes. Luckily for you Im only about a couple hours away, so Ill swing by and grab this one from ya. Just to clear some room. Youre welcome.

Von- lol, it is getting a bit crowded around here, so start heading west my friend ;)

I love the quirkiness of the airhead . . . been driving BMW cars for 20 years, so I gues it is appropriate for me to keep this bike when done. Wait, that's the problem, I come up with some B.S. excuse to keep each one . . . damn.

Going with a rather classic BMW paint scheme; Gloss black base with 1/4" white stripe around perimeter of each side of the tank (follows the line of the tank) and then decided to add two 1" satin black stripes with 1/4" gap between them down the center of the tank, seat and cowl. Can't wait.

Accidentally bought some cool retro Marzocchi shocks off ebay for the Airhead- oops ;) Will post a pic on the beast once they get here.

Looks so much better w/o the stock air box. I bet it breathes a lot better now. I might buy a r65 this month if the seller will negotiate a little.

Yeah, I would like to do an older one some day, but figured this was a good one to cut my teeth on, especially for the price/condition/miles- couldn't pass it up.

Excellent looking paint - mine still has the original black paint / white hand painted stripes thankfully :) Better keep shining this one up if it's going to sit beside the Triton! Nice choice to make when you go for a ride.

Thanks Tim. It took everything I had to resist going a different route on the paint- just kept coming back to the classic scheme . . . added a bit of detail to the tail though:

MarcoTritonBoxerCafe026.jpg

Mine's a 1975 R75/6 - stock.

Only changes are:

Mikuni VM32 carbs (still need to tune these)
Stebel air horn
Buchanan stainless spokes
Woody's Wheel Works sealed wheel bearing conversion
Thunderchild diode board and regulator
Polly Heater heated grip inserts (awesome - they go in the bars)
Shorai battery (won it from Shorai - got lucky)
AVON RoadRider tires
R90S bars

I have a set of Krauser bags for it as well. Rode it to Deals Gap back in 2008, then pretty much parked it for the upgrades listed. Got the XS on the road and the BMW has been sitting since. Hopefully will do a long ride on it sometime this year.

Bikes2006-8.jpg

DealsGapTrip011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom