Pamco Electronic Ignition - CB360

Is there enough interest in getting Pamco Pete to fabricate one for the CB360?

• Yes! Count me in! I'd love to have a Pamco EI unit.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • No, I have a Hondaman.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I use a Bore-Tech.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • No, I have a NewTronic.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nah, I went with a Digi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm old school. I love my points!

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Wangofree

Coast to Coast
I'm getting conflicting info on Pamco Pete having a specific unit for the CB360 owners. Some say you can order them from him, and he'll coble a unit together, others say it's not available for that specific bike.

I'd like to know how many people, like me, would be interested in a Pamco EI. I think if there are enough of us, plus all the others interested on other forums, he might be willing to produce one specifically for the CB360.

Thanks.

Pete had started working on a CB360 unit. Me and another Owner were going to Beta test it for him. However, he was delayed from development because the CB350 rotor had some issues. He has recalled all the 350 rotors and is replacing them with a rotor made from a more durable alloy.

The CB360 unit will be using the 350 rotor, and the Yamaha XS650 points plate (modified). Because it used the 350 rotor, he was delayed with the rework of it.

Pete said he will resume work on the CB360 unit soon.

However, his motivation to make these is to sell them. If you are interested, post here so he can see there will be a demand for the unit. His unit is the most economical way of going to a point free ignition.

I'm interested, but I'd need a (semi?)programmable unit.
I'm using non-standard initial timing, but my total advance remains the same.

The Pamco unit is a simple points replacement unit. The timing is controlled by the original spring advancer. No programming required. Once the timing is adjusted, there are no other adjustments.

The stock timing is full advanced by 3000 RPM (assuming your advancer is working correctly). The timing above that remains constant anyway.

It uses the stock coils (or any 3-5 ohm units) and needs no condenser.

For 3 times the price, you can find units that are programmable but not in the price range of this unit.

The Bore-Tech unit is $369 plus shipping. It is programmable. I suspect your programming wouldn't be far off the stock, as that is what works anyway.

I have considered the Bore-Tech unit, but I am not confident that the extra features bring any real value to the table. For instance, the Bore-Tech has a programmed Rev Limiter. Nice, but the 360 runs out of steam long before you reach the actual RPM limit. The advance curve is also nice, but the stock settings really work o.k., and are about right for this engine.

My goal is to eliminate constant point adjustment. When I was riding my 360 regularly, the timing would always drift a little over a relatively short time. A point adjustment restored performance, but I was doing the adjustment almost monthly. The Pamco unit will be a set and forget kind of adjustment. That's exactly what I want.

mydlyfkryzis said:
Pete said he will resume work on the CB360 unit soon.

I am totally psyched about that news!! I've started drooling over Pamco Pete's EI for the other CB and XS bikes. It's hard to let go of the thought of not having to deal with points. His setup is perfect, and a very elegant solution.

Mike

Thanks, mydlyfkryzis. I suspect the unit would work for my situation, but my engine is pretty far from stock. It would be nice to have something that can kick over at around 10° but then go up to 20° for my idle...

mydlyfkryzis said:
If you are interested, post here so he can see there will be a demand for the unit.

If someone is a follower of Honda Twins, and other forums, perhaps the word can be spread to post their interest here.

I am definitely interested its hard to find any semi affordable electronic ignition for the cb360 this would be a welcome unit.

Sonreir said:
Thanks, mydlyfkryzis. I suspect the unit would work for my situation, but my engine is pretty far from stock. It would be nice to have something that can kick over at around 10° but then go up to 20° for my idle...

This wouldn't be what you want then...What are you doing now? Still stock points?

Users of this ignition system report better idling (hotter spark) and easier starts. Even a modified engine benefits from a reliable spark when kicking over.

I've sent this email to Pete. We've got to start getting people's vote or comment on the forum.

Pete,
I know there has to be a ton (pun intended) of interest in the development of the CB360 Pamco E.I. I’ve started a poll on Do The Ton to see who has that interest.

With the structure of the forum poll locations it may not be as visible to members, but for every vote I’m sure there’s 20 – 30 people who would also be interested.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43872.0

I know you’re super busy, but are you considering a CB360 E.I. or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks.

Mike"

Pete's response:

"Mike,

Yes, I am considering a CB360 ignition. In fact, for some models of the advancer in the CB360, the CB350 ignition will work, but right now I am awaiting results from the recent introduction of the new rotor for the CB350 before I start any new projects. It's winter. I should have something by next riding season.

Pete"

That is awesome news. Hopefully the new 350 rotor will work out and pave the way for a CB360 version. Keep those votes coming! ;D

I am following Pete's progress, and so far, the feedback on the 350 rotor has been positive.

This is good news for 360 owners, as the rotor is the same one for the 360....

No more points adjustment? My interest has peaked. Ill be following along on the development for the 360!

zshulk56 said:
So does that mean you guys have begun design/testing of the 360 unit again?
Not yet....Around the riding season of 2013...it's closer than you think.

I will be testing a beta unit for Pete, as well as another guy on Hondatwins.net, check for flaws, and write up install instructions.

I am not in on the exact design, but Pete has said the CB350 Rotor and the XS650 Backing plate work, and he only needs to add a second sensor to complete.

I should be otherwise roadworthy with "Sophie" by then....A pointless ignition is going to be delicious.

Looking forward to the results of the Beta testing. What is this "riding season" thing you guys speak of? No such thing here in Miami.

Tuesday night we had 6 inches of snow here. I hate riding in the snow....For those in Miami, when the temperature is below freezing (32 deg. or less) water does this funny thing and forms fluffy looking crystals. They pile up on the ground and make the road slippery. This works well for Santa and his sleigh, but poorly for street tires on a motorcycle.

LOL...

Pamco Pete has said he is developing a newer system for the bikes. It will incorporate an electonic advance and do away with the mechanical advnacer. The cost will be higher, but I am still very interested, as the mechanical advancer is just another mechanical part that wears out.

Back
Top Bottom