Powder coat or polish CB450 Build!

Zonda

CB450 Nut
Ok team! I'm back, the CB450's are out of storage and the runner is on the road and all looking good, although i've put on a set of after market mufflers (NOS from the 1970's) and the original pipes are carefully stored away.

attherally.jpg

So what's new, well project cheep has stalled as it became project "$$" and will continue that way, so as i try to find the nearly impossible and (any one got a Suzuki GT750 twin leading link front drum) collect all the bits i need, i'll just ponder this one.

Anyway i need to create something and as i had started to restore a Japanese CB450K2 export model (different tank etc) it has turned the corner to become "get a Cafe on the road ASAP!!!!" I'm not going to chop the frame and all mods will be reversible or replaceable.
P1020877JPG.jpg

So far i've switched the NOS barrel and pistons for a big bore Hap Jones 500cc kit, Man be careful buying these off EvilBay, i ended up buying two sets just to get two serviceable pistons.
P1020881JPG.jpg

The gear box is from a CB500T and the clutch is a six spring one from a Black bomber. The head has had the valves ground and the seats cut and the whole lot lapped, a bit of porting and polishing and general going over! I'm waiting on a new timing chain to finish the assembly and then its on to the polishing the covers!
P1020879JPG.jpg

P1020878JPG.jpg

Cut the spokes off the hubs on the weekend and sent the rims to the powder coater for some colour "orange" I just love this colour, any way they came back today ($90 Aus) and the new spokes are in the mail, the big decision is to polish the hubs or powder coat them black??? I've been looking over the net for some photos but can't find any that are decent enough for a good look, so i need some help?? what's the consensus black or shiny?
P1020900JPG.jpg

The other Q is to go with the CB360 swing arm or stay with the short CB450 one the 360 will give the bike a lower stance and be a bit more comfortable...or the 450 one will give handling as mister Honda intended! what do you reckon!!
P1020888JPG.jpg

P1020889JPG.jpg

Rod from OZ

Re: To powder coat or polish

Nice project! And your restored bike is really beautiful.

I went for black hubs and inner rims... here's some pics from my build:

n724086595_946015_9042.jpg

n724086595_898044_2925.jpg

I think that you could get a rockin' KTM-ish look with orange rims, black hubs and shiny spokes! Now that you're building a caferacer I would go for the shorter swing arm for cornering ability - after all, clip-ons, rear sets and uncomfy seat look good but serve for light weight, speed and handling. Just my 2cents.

stange

Thanks, the build is the part i just love :D getting that look just right is as important as how the bike goes.
I just love your bike ;D the polished edges and black center on the rim looks great and suites those rims.. What sort of paint did use on the tank is it old school metal flake?
Ducati built a 450 single that had this wild metal flak silver tank and seat and i just love that look and have always wanted to try it on a bike!
i think your right about the hubs, but i'll wait and see what others have to say.
Rod from OZ

glad you like the bike, I just got it on the street and spend all the time I can riding it before autumn hits here in copenhagen. the 1974 750SS Ducati was actually my inspiration for the tank paint - it's silver metallic covered with with coats of clear mixed with metal flakes, you can get them here.

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/flakes/silver/silver.htm
they also sell their flakes and pearl on ebay.

when the sun hits it sparkles like CRAZY! I can really recommend it :)

I've just got back to OZ from 4 months in France and you guys are spoilt for great riding roads, and with all the famous race tracks and classic racing you have, you'll need to pack in a hell of a lot of riding in the few short summer months! 8) . Just for me to go to Le Mans was a dream fulfilled and to make matters worse, there was an event on a Bol d'or with lots of bike heading that way, it took a lot of effort not to turn around and follow them ::)
Thanks for the web link it has given me a new direction for the next build!
Rod

Just so you are aware, there is a different axle size between those 2 swingarms. The 360 is 16mm (i believe) and the 450 is a 20mm axle.

Cheers

HAHAHA!!! - I just got my wheels back from the powdercoater last week. Would you like to guess the color? ;D

I went with polished hubs and new spokes. I'll try and get a photo posted for you later in the day.

BTW, with the exception of the Gold Coast (Coolangata specifically), I absolutely LOVED my short one month stay in OZ... I would move in a second if I could only convince my wife...

Where in OZ are you at?

Hey mate they look great and a 450 too! well we just can't have two bikes with the same wheels ;) so i guess the only option is BLACK ;D. Off to the powder coated tomorrow with the CB360 swing arm.
swingarm.jpg

Duro i new about the axle difference, but left the 360 swing arm untill i had made a D on which way to go, that's what makes this group so good, everyone is in it for the right reasons and only to willing to help ;D.

I went for the 360 swing only out of comfort, as when this scoot is finished I'll be riding it down to Melbourne from Brisbane around 1700Km with some other nuts for the VJMC annual rally ::) ::).

Philos1 I live in Brisbane not to far from the "Gold Coast" what made Coolangata such a bad experience, the Japanese just love the place. :D :D

Sweet! Now I can see what it'll look like with black hubs (I nearly went that way on mine). From your other bike in the top pics, we should be expecting a beauty.

Hijack approaching in 3, 2, 1....

I really liked Queensland, and I often try to convince my better half that we should live there...we even have a heeler named Zero.

We had a bad experience while surfing at Coolangata - Someone broke into our campervan while we were surfing and took all of our money, my wife's passport, and my surfboards/bags. Then they went and used my credit cards to get the maximum cash advances. We were stranded and had to call collect to the states and get emergency money wired so that we could drive back to Sydney with our tails tucked.
Later, the local police found my boards/bag and it cost me nearly $400 to ship it all back to Los Angeles...

I know it's likely the heroin problem in that area and I know that doesn't reflect the regular folks whom are really genuinely nice people on the whole, but it left a sour taste.

Could've been worse, but dang. What a way to spoil the honeymoon.

Hijack over ;D ;D ;D

Sorry to hear about that, these low life's target the tourists and know that you'll have all your gear in the car, so easy pickings. :-\ feed them to the sharks i say.
A heeler! man they are great dogs and bloody to intelligent for their own good, had one when i was a kid that used to round up mums ckooks! got to keep them entertained...

Updates
Well the swing arm and hubs are at the powder coaters for some black gloss, and i went and brought all new bearings and seals for the hubs. tomorrow the front end will go on.
I'll post a little trick (fork spreader) that i use to get the forks on without damaging them.
Rod from OZ 8)

Can't wait to see the black on there...

what are you doing for a tank?

The tank is a last minute thing with me, I have a BB tank that is destined for project $$, but have been liking the look of the CB350/4 tank, it's smaller than the 450 ones and still has the knee indents. I do have a ratty CB500T tank but would be cheeper to find a good tank on evilbay. I do like the hand beaten look of you tank but can't bring myself to damage a restorable tank, the 450 were never very popular over here and tanks are thin on the ground :-\. what did u have in mind ;D I'm open to all suggestions ::) what ever way i go the tank will be black with orange stripes/checkers etc.
Rod from OZ

I was just interested in what you were doing. I'm still not 100% on the one I have. I'll run it for a while and see how I like it - I'm also leaning towards putting a CX500 Deluxe tank on it (saw it on someone else build and it looks pretty good), but finding a clean one around town is a little tough so far.

A nice alloy tank would be tits, but I can't spend that kind of dough on a bike like this without feeling awkward.

In any case, the black and orange checkers could be really cool.

Got stranded today on the forks....might have to have them re-chromed :-\.
So started on the battery, this is the concept and not the finished article. The size will be smaller and the terminal placed under the box for better access, all up 18 Amps and vibration resistant and can be placed on any angle ;D This is only the prototype but will be placed as seen in the photos. :D
Rod from OZ

P1020913JPG.jpg

P1020914JPG.jpg

P1020915JPG.jpg

Thanks, the idea has been on the back burner for some time and decided just to do it! the end result (for project $$) will be that all this will fit into a modified starter motor case. This is also concept #1 and the dimensions are not quite correct as of yet and the machining was done in a rush so it will be re-made soon and put aside for the $$ project.
P1020924JPG.jpg

P1020925JPG.jpg

Ok, ran the battery today and all went well, had my tank bag on and my multi-meter hooked up just to monitor the voltage ::). I will keep it there for the rest of the week and may hook up a volt meter and Amp meter for peace of mind.
Rod from OZ
daily.jpg

Well the battery worked a treat ;D not quite enough power to crank (electric leg) over the cold motor but will start the motor when hot! I've noted that the lights stay bright all the time and the indicators are bright and over all the electrics work a lot better :D. So it's on to the next step, incorporating the idea into a better design and hidden installation....The hub and other gear has not come back from the powder coaters yet :( apparently their was a mixup in who was doing them :mad: i have been promised them for Monday, we'll see.
Had a good score on Friday at a local swap and picked up a set of 34 mm Mikuni's ($80 Aus) and a genuine Rickman fairing ($60 Aus). Not sure which bike to put the faring on :-\ but just could not pass up on it at that price.
The engines slowly coming together, just waiting for some cam chain rings for the cam and the head will be finished.
rickman.jpg

Back
Top Bottom