81 CB650 Brat/Cafe Build

So the collars on the oem exhaust are welded all the way around on the inside. Now way of getting them off without destroying them. Next thing I guess will be to go get some pipe of the same diameter and cut it down to a half inch and cut it in half, making four half moon things per exhaust. Cool, I guess.

Didn't find anything at lowes. But my Renthals bars showed up so I threw them on, mounted all the controls back up and put the carb on. Just buttoning up everything from here on out. Still need to sort the exhaust issue out before I can fire her.

Have some issues with the throttle cables being too long and not engaging full throttle. Gotta figure that out. I also may go to a single rotor front brake setup. There's a wire wheel I found with a good tire that matches my rear but it's single rotor I believe.

dmable44 said:
Have some issues with the throttle cables being too long and not engaging full throttle. Gotta figure that out. I also may go to a single rotor front brake setup. There's a wire wheel I found with a good tire that matches my rear but it's single rotor I believe.

if you grab a spoke front wheel from a GL1000 it will be dual disc.

if you're still stuck with the exhaust send me measurements for the collars and I'll make some up for you.

So. Close. ;D

Got the exhaust figured out, working with focus on the cable issue and ordered a new petcock. Was planning on firing it today but the petcock nut was too big for the 750 tank. Monday is the new goal.

DohcBikes said:
where is your front fender

Didn't put it on yet, I'm running pods because my air box is toast and I want to run pods and I don't have mufflers yet. I want to fire it and let it idle to make sure it at least runs and gets warm so I can change the oil. Then off the to tuner. I'll be getting Unipods next week along with mufflers. I'm not going to ride it like this. Just see if it runs and everything works.

Your tuner will either tell you to make an airbox or he's an idiot. Those carbs are for shit with pods.

Put an exhaust on. Put a fender on.

DohcBikes said:
Your tuner will either tell you to make an airbox or he's an idiot. Those carbs are for shit with pods.

Alright, thanks

DohcBikes said:

the carbs on the bike are not cb650 CV carbs, they're ninja gpz600 carbs per the write-up by "Soos"

they'll still need jetting.....but dynojet makes a kit. K&N also makes pod kits for the gpz600 and the dynojet kit is designed to work with the k&n kit and performance exhaust.

focusinprogress said:
the carbs on the bike are not cb650 CV carbs, they're ninja gpz600 carbs per the write-up by "Soos"

they'll still need jetting.....but dynojet makes a kit. K&N also makes pod kits for the gpz600 and the dynojet kit is designed to work with the k&n kit and performance exhaust.
I know what the carbs are. Thanks though.

New push/pull throttle cables and tube from a ZX600 are on their way. Should fix the cables length issue. Just have to splice the Kawi plug into the Honda plug. Also gives me more clearance when steering is locked to the right, the hard 90 degree elbows on the Honda tube barely touched the tank. The ZX600 are side exit so they shouldn't hit. New petcock is also on its way. I hate waiting on parts.

So She cranks very well, but I have a fuel leak on the carbs somewhere on each carb. At first I thought it was the float bowl gaskets. I did replace them and when I bought the new ones I brought the carbs in and one of the old gaskets for comparison. The new ones seemed skinnier than the older ones and I questioned them about it. They said they will swell with fuel. So, to check if it was the gaskets, I put two of the beefier ones back on but it still leaked. I can't really pinpoint the leak, but now I think I am missing some fuel lines and or vacuum lines. Here is what I have. There are two black T joints, one on the right bank, and one on the left bank. I know something should go there but not sure what and where it connects to. Also, in the second picture, the vertical cylinders under each port have brass screws in them. Not sure if they need to be capped for vacuum or linked with something else.

The black T joins are breather ports for the float bowls - you can run some tubes from them but don't cap them - they need to vent to the atmosphere.

The screws under the ports are the idle mixture screws.

Have you cleaned the carbs? That's step one.

hillsy said:
The black T joins are breather ports for the float bowls - you can run some tubes from them but don't cap them - they need to vent to the atmosphere.

The screws under the ports are the idle mixture screws.

Have you cleaned the carbs? That's step one.

Got everything figured out! I ran dump lines down from the T joints, reset the idle mixture screws and with the help of Focusinprogress, figured out the leak. Had to adjust the float bowl height, they were all off by 1.5mm. She runs great actually! smoked a little until the oil got to everything. Now its time for some mufflers, oil and filter change, and off to the tuner. I ordered ZX600 throttle cables, controls, and tube so I don't have to guesstimate the cable length. They come in later this week. Then its riding time.

DohcBikes said:
I know what the carbs are. Thanks though.

Didn't you say a few pages back you weren't posting in here anymore? Do everyone a favour bro.

@dmable44 - enjoying your build, keep the updates and pics coming!

el barto said:
@dmable44 - enjoying your build, keep the updates and pics coming!

Thanks man! She's coming along nicely. Did the oil change and tried to figure out the wiring. It's all wired but the front turn signals don't blink when activated, they just turn off. The rear works fine though.

Back
Top Bottom