After about a year of looking, I finally found the right bike! A running 1971 Honda CB350K3 posted on Craigslist for $750. I offered him $500 and he took it. The bike was downtown Chicago in kind of a sketchy neighborhood. The address he gave me was an old abandoned paint manufacturer and I was getting more apprehensive the closer I got to it. Finally arriving I called the seller and he told me to pull around the one way street and he'd unlock the gate. I pulled in and he closed the gate behind me but I was relieved to see my bike waiting for me. I asked him to start it and he did, but he had to put it on a jump starter as the battery was dead. It ran pretty well! Really loud and I later found a big hole on the bottom of the left muffler. Other issues I have to address not particularly in this order:
- God awful ape hanger bars.
- The clutch and brake cables are really stiff and brittle. Will replace.
- The throttle doesn't snap back to idle when you let it go. Probably also a cable.
- Right side carb has no choke plate. Looking for a replacement.
- Rebuild both carbs.
- Charge the battery and evaluate the charging system.