1972 cb/cl 100

JB77

Been Around the Block
Hey all,
I picked up an almost complete cb100 in September, and have not had a lot of time to work on it. It's a cb frame, and a cl motor. Guy I bought it off did a lot of work but decided to pursue different interests. It had two year old gas and a dead battery, so I cleaned the tank and carb, bought a new 6volt gel battery, and ordered a regulator/rectifier from sonreir. I've never owned a 100, and am wondering if anyone knows what the nipple is for in the pic. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1415041237730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415041237730.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 453
That's the crankcase vent. Just attach a hose and route it along the frame to the ground.
 
I had some time to work on the bike today. I put a small inline fuel filter on. The guy before me had a long looping run to the carb with a pretty big filter and I wanted to try to make the run as short and direct as possible. I also pulled the front tire, patched the tube, struggled to put it back on with my 6inch bicycle levers, and now have a new leak. I must have pinched the tube. I will be ordering proper tire levers tonight. It was my first time pulling and reinstalling a motorcycle tire.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1415044402723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415044402723.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 422
Cool, I've got a little 72 cb100 too.

I need to get off my lazy butt and start working on mine too.

Hope to see more progress and pictures.
 
Don't feel bad, I pinched a brand new tube the other day. One tip is to use windex to help ease installation
 
A service guy at a local shop today told me to try baby powder on the tube. I also read to use soapy water on the bead, I've never tried windex. I bought new proper spoons/ tire levers, so I'll try again tomorrow. I also ordered two new tubes to have on standby.
 
Baby powder will prevent binding in the tube. It's a must for our old spoke wheels.

Put the tube in with just the slightest pressure. Enough so it will retain a donut shape but not so much that it won't squeeze in. Once the stem is set and the tire is fully mounted, put a little more air in and bounce the tire on the ground a few times so any kinks snap out.
 
Windex, it dries much quicker than soap though and but it makes clean up easier. Use talc baby power and not the cornstarch kind.
 
Cool, thanks for all the info. I plan to tackle this again on the weekend.
 
Finally had a few minutes to work on this. I put a brand new tube in and it held air, so I put it back on the bike.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1416600406081.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416600406081.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 393
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416600419100.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416600419100.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 370
Made some progress. Got it to start last week. And installed one bar end mirror. I have to drill a hole in the end of the throttle to get the other mirror on. I'm looking into building my own seat and securing the battery, rectifier, and winker in better. I'm also going to lower the headlight and clip ons, and look into relocating where he put the ignition switch, and possibly lowering the speedometer.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1430956767029.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430956767029.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 354
Cheng shin 3.00-17 4 ply on the back, iRC 2.50-18 40l on the front. They came on the bike when I bought it.
 
Pics
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1430961263951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430961263951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 374
  • uploadfromtaptalk1430961273483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430961273483.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 361
Still in process. Took this the day I got it running.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1431050630190.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431050630190.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 351
looks very good..............kinda wished I had painted my frame a different color than black.
 
I like the color the guy I bought it off of used on the frame and motor. Only issue was the tappet covers were painted to the engine, so it took some work to get those off.
 
Back
Top Bottom