That is one beautiful looking bike, great lines with the tank reset and seat setup. strong work.
Here's a better shot showing the new mounting locations with arrows where the old locations were. The front mount was cut off and I made a new one with a piece of rod welded under the frame bar with a couple washers on it to hold the rubber bushings in place. I reused the original rear mount, but cut it from its position between the frame rails and welded in bar stock on each side to stand it up. Hope this helps answer your question.MattL9 said:How did you level out the tank? I can see that you raised the front and lowered the back, but what did you do to do that?
Thanks Young$, glad you think it's heading in the right direction! Now to keep it going. I hope to update on fender progress soon.YoungMoneyyy said:That is one beautiful looking bike, great lines with the tank reset and seat setup. strong work.
Not a dumb question! I spent a good month trying to figure out the wheel situation and was actually looking at KZ wheels at one point. I ended up going with Suzuki wheels again as I knew that they would fit right in with no problems with the stock brakes and modifications. Also, I kind of think they kind of have the approximate "look" of a spoked wheel.YoungMoneyyy said:Northish quick question about your tires, I read you went from the stock 16" & 19" setup to a 17" & 18" setup for the stance, which turned out great. I plan on doing something similar on my kz440, my question is did you need and modifications to the rims (looks like you used the stock ones) or were you able to simply swap the rubbers...
Hey canyoncarver - thanks for the compliment and stopping by to check things out!canyoncarver said:Nice little twin you have there. Great progress.
I was going to trim down my fenders as well the exact way you did it. Tried to do without and the day that I took off my front fender it rained the next day. So I put it back on.Northish said:Hey canyoncarver - thanks for the compliment and stopping by to check things out!
I've got a few more update photos from the build progression to share. These updates deal with the fenders and making them a bit cleaner and less bulky, while still retaining a good deal of functionality. You'll see that I have masked them off and then sketched out what I felt to be a slightly sleeker profile on the tape. Then got out the angle grinder w/ a fiber disc and flapper wheel to "sculpt" them a bit. I did this to both the front and rear fenders. Because the rear fender was welded straight to the frame when I got it I had to spend some time cutting off the angle iron it was attached with ans smooth things out. It also needed a new mounting scheme, so I cut up some bar stock and welded it in place across the frame for top and bottom mounts. It can now be removed with just a few bolts, which is really nice. I plan to re-use part of the plastic fender insert as an extension to the rear fender near the swingarm area to keep things tidy. I'll try to get a picture when I get that far. I also filled in the hole in the front fender where the brake line stay was mounted in the front fender by welding in some filler metal and grinding things smooth. I also had to pound out a few small dents to clean them up. They will eventually be painted. It's a little to see the trimmed down rear fender in place in the last picture, but it's there. I'll try to get a different angle on it in the future. Still having fun with this!
Thanks Psy!Psycrow said:Looking good!