330mm discs [rotors] with 80mm PCD [honda CB hub]

Oneorangedog

New Member
Hi,

I am searching for some floating, 330mm discs with 6 hole pattern at 80mm PCD. [Honda CB/Goldwing hub]

Are there any bikes with these as standard, or should I just trawl ebay for aftermarket ones?

Thanks!
 
330mm is pretty rare to begin with, and most would be 5 bolt patterns.

YZF750 had 320mm and 6x80pcd, just 4mm larger center bore.
 
95/96 YZF600R did. I'm not sure about the 750. But, they're 300mm OD. I used them for my GL...

f8ad6b3d67ebc69f66c609943e1db973.jpg


If the 750 has the same pcd, but at 320mm, you may be able to run that. The 5mm may not be too much.
 
Thanks for the replies.
I also found that the Ducatis 916-748-996-998 models also have 80mm PCD, 6 hole patterns, but sadly they are all 320mm - where as I need 330mm for caliper/spoke clearance reasons...
 
That's one way to try to solve the spoke to caliper negative clearance issue. 330mm is rather rare. Most common sizes are 298 (300) 310 and 320. Are you sure there isn't enough room to move the disks out closer to the fork legs.
 
Don't know what calipers your using but you may need to switch to sliders rather than opposed piston. That should give several millimeters extra clearance
 
Hi Teazer -
forks are GSXR 600 [09]
calipers & discs are R1
It seems that the discs are already very close to the forks...

Hi CrazyPJ - I hadn't thought about sliders. Although I expect I would also need alternative USD forks to mount the sliders as they wouldn't fit to the 118mm centered mounting bolts?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180427_135949016.jpg
    IMG_20180427_135949016.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20180427_140015232.jpg
    IMG_20180427_140015232.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 204
I always see them with a Tokico 4 piston caliper. Curious is there's a difference in dimension compared to what you have. There's also the Cognito Moto hub...
https://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts/products/gsx-r-hub-bolt-on-conversion-laced-wheel-1?variant=617435833

honda-cb750-cafe-racer.jpg
 
irk miller said:
95/96 YZF600R did. I'm not sure about the 750. But, they're 300mm OD. I used them for my GL...

f8ad6b3d67ebc69f66c609943e1db973.jpg


If the 750 has the same pcd, but at 320mm, you may be able to run that. The 5mm may not be too much.

Damn, that looks nice!
 
I see that you will use thick spacers to get the disk as far out as possible. What PJ meant was use sliding piston calipers like those used on an SV650, but I don't think they will work with radial caliper mounts.

So the next way to look at this is what alternative calipers are available that might be slimmer on the inside. Maybe there's a set of slimmer Tokico calipers that Irk Miller mentioned above.

Hang on a minute. What is the center to center fork spacing of those forks? There are at least two different GSXR fork widths and maybe your triple clamps are narrow compared to others. I think yours are maybe 207mm compared to some with 214mm ctr to ctr distances.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135430
 
I kinda had a suspicion you were trying to use Yamaha calipers, Suzuki ones are 'slimmer'
Wider yokes will also help or as Teazer clarified, swap for an earlier front end with sliding calipers
 
teazer said:
So the next way to look at this is what alternative calipers are available that might be slimmer on the inside. Maybe there's a set of slimmer Tokico calipers that Irk Miller mentioned above.

Hang on a minute. What is the center to center fork spacing of those forks? There are at least two different GSXR fork widths and maybe your triple clamps are narrow compared to others. I think yours are maybe 207mm compared to some with 214mm ctr to ctr distances.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135430

I tried the Tokico calipers for size - they are the same dimensions towards the inside.

I wish i had thought about getting the 214mm centre triple clamps, before I had a nice top clamp machined up! That would have made my life much easier, live and learn.
 

Attachments

  • top clamp.jpg
    top clamp.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 218
So that's the difference? I think we all could take that note down for the future. Not a lot of forums specifically address the triple center measurement.
 
It took me a moment or two to work out what was wrong. With spoked wheels and narrow triples, it's necessary to use sliding caliper pistons. Change to wider triples or cast wheels and there are more options.
 
Need matching triple-clamp diameter USD forks with sliding calipers..

Right, i definitely need sliding calipers to clear my spokes on the front wheel, as the radial calipers are just too close for my liking [2mm]!

My problem is that my triple trees are already made for my existing GSXR 750 USD k8 forks, which have radial calipers.

My question is: are there any other USD forks that have sliding calipers, and are the same diameters at the clamps [50mm upper, 53mm lower]?

And which are the narrowest axial/sliding calipers that match?

Any help with this is appreciated!

Thanks
 
k8 is literally the only gsxr with 53mm lower. if you had the lower re-bored to 54mm you'd have a million options including a buttload of kawasaki and yamaha and honda forks. early gsxr1000 and k3 600/750 had sliding calipers with 50mm top 54mm lower.

EDIT: I THINK cbr929rr have 50mm upper 53mm lower and slider calipers. also meant for 330mm rotors....
 
focusinprogress said:
k8 is literally the only gsxr with 53mm lower. if you had the lower re-bored to 54mm you'd have a million options including a buttload of kawasaki and yamaha and honda forks. early gsxr1000 and k3 600/750 had sliding calipers with 50mm top 54mm lower.

EDIT: I THINK cbr929rr have 50mm upper 53mm lower and slider calipers. also meant for 330mm rotors....

Thanks! This is very interesting. The disc hole centres are different [mine are 80mm pcd, 6 holes] but i have to make a spacer/adaptor anyway, so I could have it work for the 80pcd and also the CBR929RR disc pcd which looks like its around 120mm?
 
cognito hubs lace all the spokes on the inside, it gives more clearance for the calipers, the other option is to have custom fork clamps made to move the fork tubes farther apart.
 
themotoworks said:
cognito hubs lace all the spokes on the inside, it gives more clearance for the calipers, the other option is to have custom fork clamps made to move the fork tubes farther apart.

I think the whole issue is he's already working with custom triples he had made up for a pretty penny if I'm not mistaken....

teazer said:
929 and 954 are 214mm spacing and are 50-54mm legs.

everywhere I've been able to read says the 929 was 53mm lower and then when they switched to the 954 they became 54mm.....but I've also never had a set in front of me to measure....
 
Back
Top Bottom