$50 mod thread

Not so much a mod for the bike but a mod for yo' ass. I got sick of standing at the bench so I went through the rag bag and dug out a suitable section of old couch that was in there, stuffed foam ($10) under it and stapled that sucker to a scrap piece of timber. $40 worth of steel and a couple of hours cutting and welding, plus a few squirts of cold galv and "robert's your mother's brother".

Ass comfort whilst tooling around at the bench.

DSC03061.jpg
 
Dirty Dan said:
Needs more motorcycle/car stickers if it's going to be in the shop! :)
A mate said it was "too regal" for the shed, so just to stick it up him I'm gonna shoot it with some black epoxy and go over that with some gold striping care of some hobby paint i've got kicking about.

Nothing like a royal throne in the shed....
 
Hahhh! Perfect!

Next time he's over at your place, make sure you're sitting wearing a crown on the stool, beckoning for him to bring you a beer.
 
Dirty Dan said:
Hahhh! Perfect!

Next time he's over at your place, make sure you're sitting wearing a crown on the stool, beckoning for him to bring you a beer.

Well he's in another state but I'll be sure to get him a photo of just that. Maybe I should make a $50 crown too...

Hmmm... idea brewing... Maybe in the next video.
 
Here's a $6 valve spring compressor that I made. Works great for a twin, not sure about a 4 cylinder. I apologize if someone already posted something similar on here. I looked and didn't find one.


From my build:



I had a broken fin on my head so I got another one on epay. Before i started tearing it down, I needed a spring compressor. Being that I'm too cheap to buy one for 50 bucks I decided to make one. I went down to HF and picked up a 6" C-Clamp for about 6 bucks and made this.

IMAG0200.jpg


I made the end out of some flat stock I had laying around. I bent an "L" shape into a small piece and then cut another small piece and welded them together. Then I just welded it to the top jaw of the clamp. Please excuse my welding (i'm a newbie).

IMAG0203.jpg



IMAG0202.jpg


10 minutes later the head was stripped.

IMAG0204.jpg


The compressor worked pretty dang well. I was happily surprised. It did slip off the last valve which caused everything to go flying across the room, but I have an extra head laying around so it wasn't a big deal.
 
nice work on that! if i could weld, Id def make one. I just use a mallet and socket with a lot a frustration.
 
You could try doing the same thing using JBweld. I don't know how good it would hold up, but for 6 bucks for the clamp and a few dollars for JB Weld it's worth a try.
 
You'd be better of trying to bend the metal piece into a u-shape and weld JB Weld THAT to the c-clamp.
 
tsbigdog said:
Here's a $6 valve spring compressor that I made. Works great for a twin, not sure about a 4 cylinder. I apologize if someone already posted something similar on here. I looked and didn't find one.


From my build:



I had a broken fin on my head so I got another one on epay. Before i started tearing it down, I needed a spring compressor. Being that I'm too cheap to buy one for 50 bucks I decided to make one. I went down to HF and picked up a 6" C-Clamp for about 6 bucks and made this.

IMAG0200.jpg


I made the end out of some flat stock I had laying around. I bent an "L" shape into a small piece and then cut another small piece and welded them together. Then I just welded it to the top jaw of the clamp. Please excuse my welding (i'm a newbie).

IMAG0203.jpg



IMAG0202.jpg


10 minutes later the head was stripped.

IMAG0204.jpg


The compressor worked pretty dang well. I was happily surprised. It did slip off the last valve which caused everything to go flying across the room, but I have an extra head laying around so it wasn't a big deal.

I made something very similar to that with a C Clamp an old socket some jb weld and a penny to press in the Teflon buttons on my pistons.
 
I made something very similar to that with a C Clamp an old socket some jb weld and a penny to press in the Teflon buttons on my pistons

Can you post up a picture of it? Someone might find it useful.
Hey, maybe we should start a new thread called "Things can you make with a C-Clamp"?
 
Here is a quick stand I made for my 175 with the motobits rearsets. I did see one in use before. So its not an original idea.


Also an idea for a upper fairing cross-member swivel.


Tank strap adjuster. Which is hard to understand from the picture. Its three core pieces.
Its two solid slugs on the sides that were tapped for bolts. and in between a hollow tube with a screw and wingnut.


>--===|===--<
W


The tank strap clamp isn't in the picture, but its just some folded metal with a bolt thats drawn toward the tightened screw.


All under $50...
Some of it was bought at mcmastercarr, and some at home depot.
 

Attachments

  • 2011-09-06_19-27-07_968.resized.jpg
    2011-09-06_19-27-07_968.resized.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 2011-09-05_15-47-13_565.resized.jpg
    2011-09-05_15-47-13_565.resized.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 2011-09-13_20-29-43_796.resized.jpg
    2011-09-13_20-29-43_796.resized.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 329
  • 2011-09-14_20-55-34_717.resized.jpg
    2011-09-14_20-55-34_717.resized.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 376
dp9 said:
nice work on that! if i could weld, Id def make one. I just use a mallet and socket with a lot a frustration.

Dan,

I cut a small window in the socket and use the 6in C-clamp, works pretty well.
 
Well Here is my $10 mod. Works excellent for cutting down on vibrations.
I wrapped them with this http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301773_3021162.do before when I would ride my xs650, after 30min my hands would be so tingly and funky. Now I just rode an hour on the bike and it felt better than my cbr600. They absorb all the vibration.

P.S. they also have black if you don't like the white.
RockrollDONE6.jpg
 
I will post pictures later but I needed to make theaded inserts to mount my new rearsets to the holes I drilled in the frame (this was all preplanned) Since the machinists who was willing to do it for free turned out to not have time I had to work it out on my own. I ended up using 10mm coupling nuts that I turned down on my "redneck lathe". Since I don't have a lathe I bought a section of 10mm all thread and a 10mm nut ($2.55 total at Alaska prices) I chucked the all thread up in the drill press used the nut to lock the coupling nut into place on the all thread and voila with the addition of a decent metal file and my drill press becomes a cheap lathe for making threaded inserts out of coupling nuts.
 
Back
Top Bottom