75 CL360 Cafe Build

TFWG

New Member
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

Yeah my bike has some questionable aspects to it when it comes to legality. It doesn't have turn signals, a horn, high beam, or a front brake switch. The turn signal thing is actually legal here in CA for bikes manufactured before 1973, so I'm good there, but the others are things you wouldn't know without doing a full safety check. Not too worried about it... :)

That's great you liked the polish! It worked wonders for my alternator cover, my wheel hubs, and my forks. I'm still debating polishing the rest of my engine, but for now I'm leaving it. It's actually kind of sad the whole bike is at the painter's and there's nothing to work on anymore...
 

MrMister

Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

TFWG said:
Yeah my bike has some questionable aspects to it when it comes to legality. It doesn't have turn signals, a horn, high beam, or a front brake switch. The turn signal thing is actually legal here in CA for bikes manufactured before 1973, so I'm good there, but the others are things you wouldn't know without doing a full safety check. Not too worried about it... :)

That's great you liked the polish! It worked wonders for my alternator cover, my wheel hubs, and my forks. I'm still debating polishing the rest of my engine, but for now I'm leaving it. It's actually kind of sad the whole bike is at the painter's and there's nothing to work on anymore...
Yeah same here, thats why im bored enough to polish everything :p . I tried a little trick today that a fellow enthusiast told me about, and seemed to work pretty well. Since my engine is completely apart, i took some oven cleaner to get inbetween the fins, then put all the top end pieces in the dishwasher, then hit it with some wd40 afterwards. Came out pretty good. But seriously, oven cleaner works a million times better than those high priced engine degreasers.
Also went to the place that im having it painting at today, and he said they wouldnt be able to powdercoat with the colour i want, but they can do a high grade paint. Oh well, itll have to do.

What colour scheme did you go for?
 

MrMister

Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

Anyone know where i can find some decent rearsets that wont cost 1/3 of the bike?
 

smithk4

71 CL 350 Cafe
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

Dime City Cycles has some great universal rear-sets with a universal linkage set. Aluminum and one bolt to secure them - what more do you need. I just got mine last week and mocked em up on the bike over the weekend...worked great.
 

TFWG

New Member
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

Thanks for the oven cleaner tip! I'll definitely try that out! I had my engine cases glass bead blasted and I put them in the dishwasher with, let's say, interesting results. I guess the freshly blasted aluminum doesn't take kindly to dishwashers...

I think I'm going with red on the top and silver on the bottom. I've been having the darndest time figuring out the color scheme. But I think I've now decided on it.

I saw in your earlier post that your fork tubes were bent. I have a straight set I'm willing to let go. There is some rust on the top part of both tubes, but the rust doesn't interfere with the fork seal.

If you want new fork tubes, I strongly recommend Frank's Forks.
 

MrMister

Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

TFWG said:
Thanks for the oven cleaner tip! I'll definitely try that out! I had my engine cases glass bead blasted and I put them in the dishwasher with, let's say, interesting results. I guess the freshly blasted aluminum doesn't take kindly to dishwashers...

I think I'm going with red on the top and silver on the bottom. I've been having the darndest time figuring out the color scheme. But I think I've now decided on it.

I saw in your earlier post that your fork tubes were bent. I have a straight set I'm willing to let go. There is some rust on the top part of both tubes, but the rust doesn't interfere with the fork seal.

If you want new fork tubes, I strongly recommend Frank's Forks.
Whoops, yeah i think it would be better to clean it before you blast it.
Oh cool, Thats the paint scheme i origionally wanted.
Thanks, but the guy i bought my engine from has a very good workshop so i had the forks straightened by him with one of those spinning machines. Perfect now.
This more or less the paint scheme youre doing?
 

Attachments

MrMister

Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

Id like to know where that guy found those tank knee grips. Theyre definitely not stock, and its impossible to find cheap knockoffs.
 

TFWG

New Member
71 CB350 Cafe Project

haha yes that is exactly the paint scheme I'm going for. I actually modeled most of my bike after that bike. Rick and his kids did a pretty amazing job with the build. I looked for hours and did dozens of mockups for different paint schemes but I liked the red and silver the most. Mine should be ready in about six weeks I hope.

Are you modeling your bike after the red and silver one as well?
 

VonYinzer

Active Member
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

Thats an early 350 tank, and Id bet that theyre just glued/epoxied on. The 350 tanks dont have the mounts for knee pads.
 

MrMister

Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

TFWG said:
haha yes that is exactly the paint scheme I'm going for. I actually modeled most of my bike after that bike. Rick and his kids did a pretty amazing job with the build. I looked for hours and did dozens of mockups for different paint schemes but I liked the red and silver the most. Mine should be ready in about six weeks I hope.

Are you modeling your bike after the red and silver one as well?
Nice, You know them? Yeah thats deffinitely my favourite all around CB350, but im going with the blue silver scheme like the ducati i posted earlier. Youre lucky you only have to wait 6 weeks. The place im having it done at has bike parts from other guys that have been there a month already and havent even been touched yet :-\
 

MrMister

Member
DTT BOTM WINNER

TFWG

New Member
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

I traded a few emails with Rick about his bike and the guy that reconditioned their head did a valve job for me and told me all about the project. Really neat stuff. It's been a really fun build so far. Kind of sad it's almost over, but it'll be really cool to show it off when it's done. The blue and silver should look sweet!
 

MrMister

Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

TFWG said:
I traded a few emails with Rick about his bike and the guy that reconditioned their head did a valve job for me and told me all about the project. Really neat stuff. It's been a really fun build so far. Kind of sad it's almost over, but it'll be really cool to show it off when it's done. The blue and silver should look sweet!
Oh nice. Yeah im already planning my next project in my mind haha. Gets addictive.
Are cafe racers pretty big around LA?
 

klx678

New Member
Re: 71 CB350 Cafe Project

MrMister said:
Whoops, yeah i think it would be better to clean it before you blast it.
Oh cool, Thats the paint scheme i origionally wanted.
Thanks, but the guy i bought my engine from has a very good workshop so i had the forks straightened by him with one of those spinning machines. Perfect now.
This more or less the paint scheme youre doing?
That 350 is a cafe that is right in my view. Has a really nice long lean look, especially with those pipes. Great work, looks are attention getting with the continuation of the stock theme.
 
Top Bottom