Dohc Cb750f: possibly a valve issue

Sonreir

Oregon
DTT SUPPORTER
That sounds like a heck of a journey. I did a similar camping trip a few years back and lost an o-ring on my fuel line. I ended up holding the thing closed with my finger while a friend rode to the nearest town (15 miles each way) and came back with a selection of o-rings. Luckily one of the SAE ended up fitting and we were down the road again.

For lighting, I always set up an auxiliary option after having a similar experience as you. http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/84 (hint, hint ;D)
 

SquidHunter

Member
clem said:
Nice side cases. I might have missed it but how are they mounted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
I tried to post photos of it. Here’s a close up. I cut the sides off a milk crate and used some bar mounts to mount it to the side grab bars. I’ve been using the passenger pegs to stabilize them. So far they’re working great


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

SquidHunter

Member
Sonreir said:
That sounds like a heck of a journey. I did a similar camping trip a few years back and lost an o-ring on my fuel line. I ended up holding the thing closed with my finger while a friend rode to the nearest town (15 miles each way) and came back with a selection of o-rings. Luckily one of the SAE ended up fitting and we were down the road again.

For lighting, I always set up an auxiliary option after having a similar experience as you. http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/84 (hint, hint ;D)
Well, the funny thing is I’ve set up such a light. I mounted a fog light to my crash bar. The bad thing is I’ve just been riding around with it like a ding dong. I haven’t figured out the switch situation for it. Well, I’ve figured it out. I haven’t executed it yet..... so there’s that. Lol

I’m glad it happened safely, and I gained a learning experience. I’ve definitely thought about it, just didn’t think about not being able to find a bulb. Definitely thinking about going with an led headlight now, I like having my headlight switched on the light though. I won’t everything impossibly simple


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
SquidHunter said:
Well, the funny thing is I’ve set up such a light. I mounted a fog light to my crash bar. The bad thing is I’ve just been riding around with it like a ding dong. I haven’t figured out the switch situation for it. Well, I’ve figured it out. I haven’t executed it yet..... so there’s that. Lol

I’m glad it happened safely, and I gained a learning experience. I’ve definitely thought about it, just didn’t think about not being able to find a bulb. Definitely thinking about going with an led headlight now, I like having my headlight switched on the light though. I won’t everything impossibly simple


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Those lights look the business man. So two can act as a headlight? I like that idea. Trying to get away from bulbs for sure. What kind of power draw do they have? I’d like to talk more


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
I’m thinking about making a tank bag. Something more proper. I just can’t find what I want for sale....


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

pidjones

Well-Known Member
I replaced the front wheel bearings on the rat bike '79 CB750F last winter - pretty easy. Drilled two holes in an aluminum bar to accept drill bits (backwards) that fit the keeper holes. Drilled out the stakes from the keepers (you don't have to go deep). The aluminum bar was long enough that it gave good leverage and spun the keeper out easily. Make sure caliper alignment is correct when you put it back together.
 

SquidHunter

Member
pidjones said:
I replaced the front wheel bearings on the rat bike '79 CB750F last winter - pretty easy. Drilled two holes in an aluminum bar to accept drill bits (backwards) that fit the keeper holes. Drilled out the stakes from the keepers (you don't have to go deep). The aluminum bar was long enough that it gave good leverage and spun the keeper out easily. Make sure caliper alignment is correct when you put it back together.
What’s the secret to the caliper alignment? That may be the noise I’m hearing. I kept thinking the tire was scrubbing the front fender, but I haven’t been able to put my finger on it. Could it be the caliper rubbing?


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

pidjones

Well-Known Member
Most Hondas that I've worked on have a bolt on one end of the axle and the other end is smooth. You tighten the bolt and axle holder (front first) on that fork and leave the other axle holder a little loose. Then you bounce the forks to let them center and tighten the other axle holder and check caliper-to-disk clearance on that side with a feeler gauge (provided in the onboard tool kit). Should be instructions in the FSM, maybe also the owner's manual. 0.7mm feeler on a GL1000, probably vlose to the same on yours. Check between disk and bottom and top of caliper. Loosen holder and re-center if necessary. The axle bolt side can't be adjusted.
 

SquidHunter

Member
pidjones said:
Most Hondas that I've worked on have a bolt on one end of the axle and the other end is smooth. You tighten the bolt and axle holder (front first) on that fork and leave the other axle holder a little loose. Then you bounce the forks to let them center and tighten the other axle holder and check caliper-to-disk clearance on that side with a feeler gauge (provided in the onboard tool kit). Should be instructions in the FSM, maybe also the owner's manual. 0.7mm feeler on a GL1000, probably vlose to the same on yours. Check between disk and bottom and top of caliper. Loosen holder and re-center if necessary. The axle bolt side can't be adjusted.
I’ll see if I can find it in the FSM. That’s a good call.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

crazypj

Split personality, I fake being smart
If you have FSM, check axle is fitted into wheel properly. It's very easy to fit it from the wrong side and have the wheel off centre
 

SquidHunter

Member
crazypj said:
If you have FSM, check axle is fitted into wheel properly. It's very easy to fit it from the wrong side and have the wheel off centre
I do have the fsm, and the wheel and axle are mounted and torqued properly. It doesn’t say anything in there about any alignment issues. However, I believe I found the noise. I’m thinking it’s the speedo gear low on grease. I’m planning on deleting it anyway


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 
Top Bottom