MT250 Budget Build

Transmission part - part #3 here - http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-mt250-elsinore-1975-k1-usa_model693/partslist/E++07.html#results

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-mt250-elsinore-1975-k1-usa_model693/collarcountershaf_23223358000/#.WK_6iKozqUk
 
Oz350Four said:
That's a little ways from home isn't it..???

Yeah, it was pinned back behind the stator coils bracket, there is also some damage on the coils themselves. This motor has been apart before as there are some non OEM bearings already in it. I'm guessing the last time they put it together the little bugger got picked up by the flywheel and they didn't realize it. I'll have to check the transmission shaft to see if its there or not. That for sure was not the microfiche location I was expecting it to be on thats for sure
 
This still going to the Thaw or did the KZ take its place? #fakenews


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Nice. Just saw this. There's another MT in the family that has lost a bit of love. Never thought an Elsinore, with all of the unobtanium in parts, could be a budget build.
 
Tifun said:
This still going to the Thaw or did the KZ take its place? #fakenews

In Theory im bringing both

irk miller said:
Nice. Just saw this. There's another MT in the family that has lost a bit of love. Never thought an Elsinore, with all of the unobtanium in parts, could be a budget build.

My hope here is that the bike is mostly complete, I nabbed up a box of spare parts (which all need work) to fill in a couple gaps, and the rest i'll either figure something out or i'll go without. I need to get out to the garage and see if that trans shaft bushing deal was extra or if its missing. If its missing need to find a replacement for that so I can get the motor back together. This got kinda back burnered since I picked up the KZ, but with the motor taking up my entire workbench i need to get back to it before I Start losing things.
 
Get in touch with E. He's done a bunch of research and has collected sources. He might be able to help you out with sourcing and such.
 
E. might also tell you of the 7th level of insanity you may have entered. Something about unobtanium, hipsters, and gremlins..
 
I've been talking to be E about it. I hope his bike is Satan himself, and mines fine. Hard to tell yet, it looked good, but there are already things in the wrong places. His is also an MR which parts are generally a little more $$ than the MT


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Need the workbench so I decided I better get the mt motor back together. Debated just using the gasket or using sealer, decided to just use the gasket. Got the clutch side back together tonight. Stator side tomorrow. Then the workbench will be clean and I can get the carbs from the KZ apart and cleaned up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
  • IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 350
canyoncarver said:
E. might also tell you of the 7th level of insanity you may have entered. Something about unobtanium, hipsters, and gremlins..

Dick....

Here is a pic, you can see that the motor is worse off than the last pic. Since then I've had the motor apart 2 more times fixing things. Found a few missing washers, etc. worst off to this point is that I snapped a clutch basket bolt off using a 1/4" socket. You told the gremlins about me, now I'm in trouble.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 357
Well, got that bugger out and went to put it all together. Once I did that the clutch outer and clutch center were tight together (wouldn't move independently). Went to find out that the bearing wasn't installed far enough by the PO, so there were running without the washer behind the outer. With that, the outer stuck out to far on the shaft. So, I had to pull the motor apart for a 4th time so I could get the bearing in the right place. Now that im back in there again, ive decided that the shift fork on the shift drum really should be replaced, though ive told myself its fine for now, keep the budget in the past. So, I ordered one of those and now I have to wait for it to get here before I can put it all together again and hope this time its finally correct.

This bike has daemons, but so far they have all been driven by the PO.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 342
Pulled the bike out of the shed today, need to get it cleaned up so I can start seeing what's what now the the motor is about sorted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3588.JPG
    IMG_3588.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 348
Got the shift fork swapped over, the motor together, the clutch seems to be good now and it shifts through all the gears, only had to build it four times to get it right. On the bright side I feel pretty comfortable building dirt bike motors now, though they are a pain in the ass.

Next up, gotta get the frame cleaned up so I can get the motor in. Starting to find things I'm missing, some of which as the unobtanium previously mentioned.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3600.JPG
    IMG_3600.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 354
  • IMG_3601.JPG
    IMG_3601.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 340
Nice work so far. From afar it looks like a lot of the frame and suspension parts from the same year XL 250/350 should be interchangeable. There are quite a lot of parts available, so you may have some luck there.
 
Back
Top Bottom