Hondacati GSX-R CL350

I know you didn't ask for opinions, but I think that tank is right for this build. I love toaster tanks. But with that massive swing arm and chunky front forks, that cb160 tank is going to look small, like a frisco tank. If that's the look you're going for, than leave it. I think a CB77 tank might be better scale.

Again, you didn't ask for opinions, I'm just sticking my nose in your business.
 
Hondacati GSX-R CL350

Didn't someone on here build a Monoshock bike with one of those tanks?

I remember it looking quite good. Could be wrong though.

That swingarm and wheel is pure bike porn. Love following along with the build.

Edit: this is what I was thinking about

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56358.msg696235#msg696235
 
That's totally cool jsharp!

It's a fairly tall tank, and I need to sink it down into the frame as much as possible.
I totally dig the toaster tank too. The first bike that Dad ever set me on the tank, and rode around the yard
was one of these early CB's. I found a super deal on this NOS tank, that's the second reason for choosing it. :LLOLL
I want a tall boxy tank, and a low flat café seat for that early 'bump' racing line.
Like little Gilera's maybe? or early Ducati?

I'm not sure of the scale to a CB77.
We both will have to wait and see what it looks like when I set it on the frame for the first time.
That Black Bomber look rocks! I want old lines, but with a little twist.

Input is always respected. That goes for anyone out there at DTT!
I've seen a thousand café bikes...some nail the look, others...miss the mark totally.
Bad seat/ tank combos, horrible lines, awful colors...poor geometry...etc.etc.
And what appeals to me, may be totally opposite to someone else.
This is a learning process...a wing and a prayer. Forward...

And a tank swap is a super easy fix compared to getting this nasty SSSA shoved up the little Honda's backdoor.

;)
 
Re: Hondacati GSX-R CL350

neevo said:
Didn't someone on here build a Monoshock bike with one of those tanks?

I remember it looking quite good. Could be wrong though.

That swingarm and wheel is pure bike porn. Love following along with the build.

Edit: this is what I was thinking about

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56358.msg696235#msg696235

Cool Neevo...actually that Cognito bike was an initial inspiration.
I had just finished a quick CB café build, and was looking for a more in depth project for my next bike.
I stumbled across that machine, and have actually corresponded with the builder on several issues that I'm working through.

I don't want to rip-off his look...I want to build upon it, in my own way.
Cognito rocks BTW>
-Luke
 
Agreed Luke.

Mind you there isn't much that is original these days. The USD fork conversion etc is becoming pretty common so a little bit of inspiration is always going to be reflected in our builds... unless you build a genuinely unique machine.
 
The 160 is on top, vs the 77 on the bottom.

Sorry it's so low res, it's all I could find on the fly. If you want a tall toaster tank, get one off of a BMW. Those were pretty tall.
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407975738.774796.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407975738.774796.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 720
I dig both tank lines...
All retro feel, reminds me of the early Yamaha YS1/2 ??? -cant remember the model- as well.

Tonight I got final disassembly out of the way. All parts broken down into their respective piles.

Frame going out for blasting this weekend. Started drawing up spacers and inserts for machining.
I'm going to try for the original pivot point...I took a long hard look, and it may work out okay.
That's the easiest location option, so its worth a shot. Im going to remake the stock center pivot inserts,
and add .728" to each one. I've determined that I need to widen the rear of the frame 1.5".

**Wondering about what others have done in regard to front sprocket offset, and clearance of the clutch mechanism??
An off set sprocket falls right in the way of the carrier for the clutch plunger. Perhaps a new cover is to be made, to house
the clutch goodies, yet allow open space for the cogs. I may have to set it outward, and shrink the clutch in behind it.
Any ideas??
 
too bad you cant get narrower wheels to run appropriate tires for 35 hp and 80mph
big fat tires looks silly on a cb350 anyway
 
xb33bsa said:
too bad you cant get narrower wheels to run appropriate tires for 35 hp and 80mph
big fat tires looks silly on a cb350 anyway

That's the main reason I ran a 120 on the rear of my 466 project, would have loved a 130 for looks but having a swift nimble machine was the priority.

When I get a 750 project it will get some fat rubber.
 
Agreed that the 180 is overkill...
the swingarm is massive too, any less tire and proportions would be out of wack even further.

In the end I want something very different, a cross between one of my old Speed Triples and a mid-60's café.

xb you can giggle all you want at my bulbous black tire. ;)
 
hey you could use one of these babies :)
 

Attachments

  • DSCN9219.JPG
    DSCN9219.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCN9220.JPG
    DSCN9220.JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 366
Finally, some interesting photos...

The GSXR forks went on super-slick. One 4mm spacer on the bottom, and everything else was clockwork.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2345.jpg
    IMAG2345.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 420
I marked and cut the frame to stretch the width of the little CB.
Yes, plenty of additional bracing and gusseting to follow.
I plan a tube down the center frame member, plates for the outer pivot bolt, etc,etc.
It spread surprisingly easy. Installing some slugs into the frame, and tacking her up later this week.
I went outside of the engine mounts to simplify matters on the install.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2352.jpg
    IMAG2352.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 360
A few hours after picking up the frame from blasting, I had this mocked up.
67* forks, and nearly 11* on the swingarm.
Doesn't seem too radical in the chain slack department.
Also checked for shock linkage clearance, and measured for my new inserts and spacers.

I'm really happy with the outcome. She is speaking to me tho...maybe not clip-ons this time...but low rise handlebars!!
It might not end up a café, perhaps café with a dash of hooligan. LOL
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2357-1.jpg
    IMAG2357-1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 406
Back
Top Bottom