Hondacati GSX-R CL350

I started working with the monoshock, gathering dimensions for a top mount.
 

Attachments

  • showa mono.jpg
    showa mono.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 654
A few nights this week were dedicated to the restoration of my blasting cabinet,
and one night turning parts.
I finally got some time, late this afternoon to tack in one of my frame slugs to widen the CB frame.
This is the easy side (round), the other needs to be 'squashed' to match the original frame tube shape.
I turned these slugs out of solid 1.5" rounds, then shouldered them 3/16" on each end to extend inside the openings.
I plan on cross-cutting on the right side insert, and finishing it off with a grinder to match the profile.

I have to remove the backing plates for the passenger footpeg mounts/swingarm pivot for clearance,
then inset my new interior bushings, and after careful checking...I'll weld these up solid.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2369.jpg
    IMAG2369.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMAG2370.jpg
    IMAG2370.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 417
I have the right side frame slug tacked into place now, but
I still have to grind down the profile to match the squashed cross-tube on the right side.
I have to center everything and double check all of my figures before a final weld.
If anything, it seems that I am a bit wide on the right side...it could be the shape of the swingarm,
or perhaps the original CL frame is offset slightly differently from left to right.
I believe I may take out about an 1/8" from the right crosstube, trimming to an even 1 inch of stretch,
whereas the left sits at 1.200". My 'reveal' between seat support and swingarm needs some adjustment.
At least it all fits. My new inner bushing sleeves should be ready tomorrow, then I can fine tune the entire back half,
and fabricate the outer plates.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2377.jpg
    IMAG2377.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 425
  • IMAG2376-1.jpg
    IMAG2376-1.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 350
BSA Nut said:
I don't know about serious work...LOL Thanks for staying tuned in!

Frame stretching and slug inserts for SSSA, if that's not serious work I'd like to see you do something serious ;)
 
Some progress tonight, after a long hot week of work.
New pivot bushing pressed into the frame, clearances check, and swingarm put together in its final resting place.
Everything worked out well. A nice, tight pivot bolt installation...and patterns made for the outer plates.
I drilled the pivot nut for safety wire, and checked fitment again with the shock and linkage.

***I am going to cut open the right-side frame and remove a .250" sliver to even out the inner frame clearance. My slugs were exactly the same,
and they should have been different. Everything moved equal amounts, but visually I need to shrink the right side. Centering will not be effected otherwise.

Some eye candy for the watchers:
 
From here...I will cut off the stock backing plates for the motor mounts,
fab replacements plates, and final weld the frame slugs.
Then I can bolt the sandwich together and tack the outer plates.
A reinforcement tube will be shoved down the stock frame member and welded to the pivot housing,
then capped at the top. Top shock mounts, and frame gusseting will finalize the back-half mods.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2396.jpg
    IMAG2396.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 414
Reworked the right side insert to match the profile,
also removed the tabs from the original pivot mounts...
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2403.jpg
    IMAG2403.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 408
Rough cut of the seat tube tabs...
later cleaned them up, and made them disappear.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2401.jpg
    IMAG2401.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 410
Center down tube reinforcement...
I cut out the goofy ears, leveled the factory welds, built a tube (1.00" OD), and built a triangular top plate.
Welded and roughed in.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG2404.jpg
    IMAG2404.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 365
  • IMAG2405.jpg
    IMAG2405.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 395
  • IMAG2407.jpg
    IMAG2407.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMAG2408.jpg
    IMAG2408.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 405
  • IMAG2413.jpg
    IMAG2413.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 405
Back
Top Bottom