1976 Honda cj 360

I still haven't done a video of fork flex without a brace, really must find tripod for camera ::)

Well here I go again. New seat cover and tank is stripped and primered! Gonna talk to my buddy trek and see if we might try firing this baby up near the end of the week.

Chris

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406518541.651879.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406518541.651879.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 296
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406518616.217105.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406518616.217105.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 225
So I get timing set and finaly put some oil in her. Leave the plugs out to kick it over a few times and get things moving. Everything is turning nicely and snap. Kick start won't turn the engine over now!!!!!!! What broke?

Chris

Found the reason I couldnt remember much about that when you called me. I never took the kickstarter out of the case.

I Just cleaned it up as best I could and left it alone.

all the innards do seem to be inside the case. :( which sucks.

swap2.jpg

shineybottom.jpg

yamabonded.jpg

Man I'm stumped!!! With three kids and a wife who wants her garage back I'm gonna have to think real hard about aborting this bike. Prob my loss and someone's gain. So much put into this bike. Damn

Chris

Looking at this pic on ebay...maybe it just got hung up "open" try a couple light taps on the end of the shaft w a small hammer. while working it?

I dont have a clue...grrrr!

11494-280714201700.png

Have you gotten it started with the electric start? Nevermind, I see you removed the starter.

But anyway... you can drain the oil, pull the engine, then flip it upside down on the bench. Bottom engine case comes off without messing with the top end.

Sonreir said:
CJ360 never came with an electric foot. Kick only from the factory.
I saw the pic with the cover.
6uvarade.jpg

Didn't realize they have the same cover, just without the hole or the internals. My bad.LOL

Oh wow, I thought honda would have made a new cover as well. That kills my fantasy about getting a CL engine to clean up that part of the bike.

I had to replace the kickstarter shaft on my XL, which is the same method. It took maybe 3 hours and could've been done in less time.

Kick-start shaft breaking is usually due to bad starting methods.
Either you 'slap kick' it like a 125 MX bike or your putting too much pressure at bottom of stroke (unintentionally using kick start lever like a footrest is easiest way to describe it)
The constant 'flex' eventually breaks off the inner piece and the spring pressure 'goes away'
There is also a possibility the small inner spring just broke, but I've never seen that happen
It's a pretty simple job you can easily do in a day. You will have to remove clutch to get gear-change mechanism out the way when separating cases (it's quicker than trying to finagle it)

If you need a part I have a seized 6 speed donor motor than can probably be robbed.... I think the kick mechanism is the same. If Matt or Peter can confirm. I'm in Bloomington so it is not that far from you...

Back
Top Bottom