www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner  (Read 5826 times)

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Where the fvck is that money you owe me?!?
Re: 1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2017, 23:18:40 »
I'm struggling with what rear fender I want to use.  Either a cropped version of the stock rear fender or the Jadus fender that was intended for the front.

If I use the stocker on the rear I'll use the Jadus fender up front.  If I go with the Jadus on the rear I'm not sure what I'll use up front....

I'm hoping the DTT community can help me decide!  Cast your vote now!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline ridesolo

• "Illegitimi non carborundum"
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2017, 19:40:37 »
The second one pictured gets my vote.
“Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.”
— Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Please check out:  http://www.VetTix.org

These are on a low simmer out in the shop:
'75 Honda CL360: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56547.0
'70 Rupp Roadster: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67459.0

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2017, 00:24:09 »
The second one pictured gets my vote.

Thanks ridesolo!  I asked a few guys in my neighbourhood and they have the same opinion.

I realized after looking at the pics that the wheel and fender look skewed... they will line up correctly when I'm done; right now the wheel is not bolted up and the fender only has one bolt holding it on until I decide.

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2017, 02:47:37 »
I think usually the rear fender can look ok with a modded SR, but because of your cool new tail loop, it looses the flow.  But then it works really well with the Jadus fender ;)  I guess for up front you could trim the stock one?  I made a video of that and it actually looks pretty cool.  Nice progress btw!

Offline zap2504

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2017, 12:29:55 »
Given the 2 options, I also like the re-purposed OEM rear fender better. The difficulty you may be having is that most custom builds mount the rear fender at or very near to the new tail loop. Because your loop is fairly high, you could use it for a passenger grip but it just looks too high for a rear fender mount. Maybe working on the seat first will help you decide on a rear fender.

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2017, 13:15:17 »
I think usually the rear fender can look ok with a modded SR, but because of your cool new tail loop, it looses the flow.  But then it works really well with the Jadus fender ;)  I guess for up front you could trim the stock one?  I made a video of that and it actually looks pretty cool.  Nice progress btw!

Thanks Jadus!  I will look in to the stock front fender and see what I can come up with.  I'm not sure it will work with your fork brace tho?!?

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2017, 13:19:34 »
Given the 2 options, I also like the re-purposed OEM rear fender better. The difficulty you may be having is that most custom builds mount the rear fender at or very near to the new tail loop. Because your loop is fairly high, you could use it for a passenger grip but it just looks too high for a rear fender mount. Maybe working on the seat first will help you decide on a rear fender.

Hi Zap.  Your comments on the high loop are valid.  I've been putting off the seat, but you're probably right... it's going to drive the look of the bike and will probably shape my decision.  To complicate things, I have a couple of tail light options as well.  I'm hoping to achieve a look similar (seat and high loop) to this SR250 that The Bike Shed did....

I appreciate the feedback/ comments!

Offline zap2504

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2017, 13:55:51 »
Yep - they used the rear loop as a passenger grab handle. If this is what you want, go for it! Just remember that the loop is a grab handle so the fender has to be below it. If you are going to have an open center triangle you may want to go with a full-size rear fender (vs the OEM) and rotate it downward in the front to shield the engine/intakes from more gunk while still having a "bobbed" look. The OEM had a plastic fender half in front of the chrome to do that but would not look that good if exposed. Maybe a different, older bike with similar rear wheel size?

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2017, 23:55:48 »
I was able to get a few more things done this afternoon...

Modified and installed KTM pegs... I'm quite stoked they fit will minimal effort:

A bit more wiring completed and installed front signals:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:47:52 by sbruton »

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #59 on: Jun 13, 2017, 00:58:50 »
A few more updates to share... things are moving along now and won't be too long before I can take it for a test spin.

I was able to get it started and jetted the idle circuit so it now starts and idles well! 

I've mounted the front fender, rear tail light and license plate bracket in their permanent locations.  Installed the mini speedo and shortened all the cables.
The exhaust is now in its final location and just awaiting a stud/tab to be welded on.

Next tasks are to install chain and side case and replace rear tube and of course built a seat.