www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Ton up SR250 - a cafe racer by the numbers: 100mph, 100kg, 30hp  (Read 35233 times)

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Ton up SR250 - a cafe racer by the numbers: 100mph, 100kg, 30hp
« Reply #290 on: Apr 05, 2019, 13:14:21 »
Very slick.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #292 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:01:19 »
Now I am measuring up everything to draw up some custom swingarm bushes.  I looked into roller cage bearings as well and correct sizes are available but from what I've read, they do not bring any benefits to the table.  Or is there something I am missing?

If I draw up the bushings, I should then also draw up some custom inserts as well right?  In stainless steel so they don't corrode? 

I am also looking into what I can do about the seals - something better than the stock ones that obviously allow crap to come in.

Just look at the wear from the stock bushings  :o

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #293 on: Apr 11, 2019, 09:06:24 »
 A bronze bushing has a much higher load rating, but they have a tendency to oval and develop slop over time.  This is why most dirt bikes have gone to needle bearings.  The load rating on a good SKF type needle bearing, though, is going to be way more than what will ever be experienced on most any motorcycle.  So essentially, a good needle bearing will be practically maintenance free for a really long time.  They can be bought with a port drilled in the jacket to be lined up with a zerk fitting for the occasional greasing. 

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #294 on: Apr 12, 2019, 04:21:55 »
Thanks for the input.  Perhaps I should revisit this.  It is after all easier and should be cheaper (standard items vs custom machined).  The machined parts would cost a lot as well based on the necessary tight tolerances.

I noticed when looking for bearings that there is often seals that go with them/seals that suit the bores the bearings are designed for.  Then I just need to have some spacers machined up to control the placement depths of the bearings each side of insertion, plus some spacers to take up the missing space of the weird stock seals (if I find other ones that I think are better).  The stock ones are some kind of cap seal solution which seams unnecessary if a good internal seal is installed.

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #295 on: Apr 12, 2019, 11:47:21 »
Just food for thought, but I always wanted to use some preloaded angular contact bearings, similar to what is used in automobile uprights. They are sealed and can handle side loads as well as vertical. Would be perfect for a swingarm, the only down side might be their size. Needle bearings are such a bastard to keep clean and smooth functioning, at least they have been all of my MX bikes. It's probably less of an issue on a road going bike.
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram

Offline zap2504

« Reply #296 on: Apr 12, 2019, 12:06:39 »
A bronze bushing has a much higher load rating, but they have a tendency to oval and develop slop over time.  This is why most dirt bikes have gone to needle bearings.  The load rating on a good SKF type needle bearing, though, is going to be way more than what will ever be experienced on most any motorcycle.  So essentially, a good needle bearing will be practically maintenance free for a really long time.  They can be bought with a port drilled in the jacket to be lined up with a zerk fitting for the occasional greasing.
I know that the XS650 originally came with plastic bushings in the swingarm and Mike's XS has sold quite a few bronze replacement kits.

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #297 on: Apr 12, 2019, 15:25:30 »
Same with the RD's, plastic bushings OEM.

I have a set of Mike's bronze bushings and they work a treat, the price is good too.
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #298 on: May 09, 2019, 04:44:47 »
Received these brackets the other day after getting back from holiday.  Now onto making the linkages!