KH100 Cafe Project

lachbeth1125

Hello All,

Just like to post some pics of the KH. I got it about 4 weeks ago ($300 mega mega mega fugly!!), and are now starting top put it back together again.
I am hoping it will have a "modern/classic" look ("is it old that looks new?, or new that looks old?").
Be gentle, it is my first project, and I am having a ball!!!

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers ;D
P100709_1459.jpg

P130709_2108.jpg

P190709_185501.jpg

P010809_222201.jpg

P070809_2359.jpg

P080809_1325.jpg

P080809_224401.jpg

P080809_0043.jpg

P100809_224801.jpg

i've never seen reflective stripes like that on a project. it looks great!

Thanks everyone,

1st project and already getting positive remarks. I am thrilled.

Will certainly keep you all posted.

Cheers ;D ;D ;D

Duuuude... nice build! Loving the coppery braid in the tank and cowl, this this is gonna look ace! Only suggestion once its running would be to think about that size filter - its gonna be getting a lot of air for a 100, even if it is a two-stroke. I've always been kinda puzzled about where the carby is on these bikes...I'm guessing its inside the block?

Lastly...you gotta hook this up with a decent exhaust, it'll make a world of difference from the stocko relic.

Cheers on an awesome project - boingk

boingk said:
Duuuude... nice build! Loving the coppery braid in the tank and cowl, this this is gonna look ace! Only suggestion once its running would be to think about that size filter - its gonna be getting a lot of air for a 100, even if it is a two-stroke. I've always been kinda puzzled about where the carby is on these bikes...I'm guessing its inside the block?

Lastly...you gotta hook this up with a decent exhaust, it'll make a world of difference from the stocko relic.

Cheers on an awesome project - boingk
Thanks mate,

The carby is on the right side of engine (see in pic where the throttle and choke cables enter). Also regarding the air filter, the carby being hidden away, and also facing away from the air inlet, should hopefully only get what is needed. Inside the engine case, where the air travels in is actually quite large (I am assuming the air so deep in the engine also helps cool the crankcase) :-\

For the exhaust, I am hoping to find a fat chambered pipe (kx125???) or something similar.

Thanks for the words of support.

Cheers

From experience, my 2stroke pulls like a decent little vintage bike...until it gets on the pipe. Then, it's like it just did a bump of coke. I'm still trying to get used to it. Expansion chamber are the dog's balls for sure. Getting a custom set make will be quite the expense, but well worth it. 20 ga stainless should do just the trick. On a bike as small and light as you're, I'd focus on keeping everything skinny and light.

--Good stuff, Chris

chrisf said:
From experience, my 2stroke pulls like a decent little vintage bike...until it gets on the pipe. Then, it's like it just did a bump of coke. I'm still trying to get used to it. Expansion chamber are the dog's balls for sure. Getting a custom set make will be quite the expense, but well worth it. 20 ga stainless should do just the trick. On a bike as small and light as you're, I'd focus on keeping everything skinny and light.

--Good stuff, Chris

Cheers Chris,
You're idea regarding the pipe is certainly the way I will go.
Also Skinny and light is what I am trying to go for, just enough on it to make it registerable for the road.

Thanks again all, this site is going to be the death of me, all the new ideas and feedback has my mind racing!!!

Cheers ;D

I must ask - How did you achieve the fibre-esque effect on the paint? It's really clean and looks the nuts :eek:

sebatron said:
I must ask - How did you achieve the fibre-esque effect on the paint? It's really clean and looks the nuts :eek:

Thanks mate,
The orange stripe is actually a vinyl "carbon" look pinstripe, edged with silver pinstripe and then clear coated over the top.
When I find the receipt for the orange stripe, :-[ I will post the supplier details.

Thanks again for the compliment ;D I am stoked!!!

Cheers

Word on the stroker madness, chrisf! My little 125 can blast through the ton thanks to its wild porting and expansion chambers...best thing is its almost totally stock ;D

Heres to a similar result from the KH!

Just thought I would add a couple more pics ;D
P020809_1923.jpg

P100809_2248.jpg

P080809_1028.jpg

Hopefully I have a productive weekend, and post some more on Monday :p

Cheers all, and av a good weekend.

Hello All,

Just a few more pics, made a little progress over the weekend.

P160809_1045.jpg

P160809_1046.jpg

P160809_104601.jpg

P160809_2109.jpg

P160809_2107.jpg

P160809_2112.jpg

Still not sure of exact position of the seat, in the pics it is back as far as I would like, but any feedback would be great. :-\

Hope everyone had and has a great weekend.

Cheers ;D

Take a hacksaw and chop the rear of the frame, about an inch after the damper mounts. You don't need that weight back there anyway. That will let your seat sit perfectly.

I love the filter assembly! Very nice build! I wish you were near Dallas. I'd love to work with you on the expansion chambers.

--Chris

Re: KH100 Cafe Project (On a tight budget)

Thank alot Chris,

I currently have left the rear of the frame intact because still researching requirements for road registration regarding rear fenders etc. (although I agree with you regarding seat position).

I thought that because the bike is quite "visually loud", that I would make the air filter assembly a little crazy!!, also the previous air filter tube looked like some ]wild marital aid!!! :eek:

Mate, I would love to try one of you're expansion chambers on this bike, please send one over and I will give you some feedback. :p

Thanks again for the responce, also loved you're website!!!!!

Cheers.

Re: KH100 Cafe Project (On a tight budget)

lachbeth1125 said:
Thank alot Chris,

I currently have left the rear of the frame intact because still researching requirements for road registration regarding rear fenders etc. (although I agree with you regarding seat position).

I thought that because the bike is quite "visually loud", that I would make the air filter assembly a little crazy!!, also the previous air filter tube looked like some ]wild marital aid!!! :eek:

Mate, I would love to try one of you're expansion chambers on this bike, please send one over and I will give you some feedback. :p

Thanks again for the responce, also loved you're website!!!!!

Cheers.

You don't need the rear frame section that long in order to mount a rear fender. My frame is cut off behind the rear shock mounts(please weld a loop to tie it back in to reduce flex)and I'm mounting my fender directly to my seat pan(see pics). Or you can mount it to the new cross bars/loop.
100_0281.jpg

Also you may want/need to step up to a much larger front drum or disc set up from say a CB200/350/360/400 etc.
This front hub is from a 2L shoe CB350:

Hi all,

Just a few more pics, a little more progress.

P180809_2139.jpg
This is where I like the seat, just need to shorten frame to suit.

P180809_213902.jpg
Front shot showing Led indicators.

P180809_214002.jpg
Shot from rear, showing painted rear fender.
P180809_214001.jpg
Shot from left side because not many of them ::)
P180809_2142.jpg
Painted the bars. :-\

Hopefully not much longer to go. 8)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom