my cafe/bobber bofe racer? FINISHED..rear set pix as requestd for relocate ideas

hurley209

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
so here goes, my first build, pretty exciting so far, i started about 2 months ago, (just found this site) and its going by quicker than i imagined it would.
i purchased a honda magna for 150$,the owner had a bunch of bikes, and this bike had been given to him, he didnt have space or time for it so he decided to get rid of it before it rotted,so i jumped on it before it sold.
Anyway, not your typical cafe right?, i know, but thats the awesomeness of building a custom bike. the possibilities are endless. and anything is possible with a bit of a creative spark.

now when i started i had an idea of what i wanted, but ofcourse, as i went on, the idea of it started changing. i really love the look of cafe racers and the statement one makes when it rolls out on to the street, but i also love bobbers just as much so its kinda turning out to be some kind of hybrid cafe racer bobber. kinda like the style of the zero racer made by zero engineering, but not exactly, same menu different flava..lol. does that make sense?... well anyways il post as much as i can here about my build. its not much of a complicated profound build, but a build. and one i am enjoying very much so.

Re: my cafe/? build. lets see what happends.

pictures please.

welcome to DTT; good luck with the build.

one word of advice: Patience.

when in doubt, put the tools down.

this was it when i first got it. ugly sucka!
but in great condition none the less, just needed a tune up and a make over.

i also just realized i shoulda been taking more pix the last couple of weeks.lol.
after bringing it home i went on to do ALOT of cleaning, polishing, and also lowered the front, shortened the tail, made some clubman bars, and did some body work on a few dents on the tank, and re painted gloss black and gold.
and i just repainted again today, satin black and gold. the gold was also shot with very very small prizm flake, and xtra clear for shine.

i painted the wheels, and forks black. and did some other minor detail work.il post the before and after pic up to the point where it was lowered and some things were painted and also will post the most rescent pic tommorow, which will include bars, wheels, satin paint, and a few other things painted, polished,etc..

didnt get a chance to get too many pix today, but i uploaded a few from a few weeks ago.
sitting in garage as purchased,
cut rear end of frame,
lowered (much better stance now),
replaced master cylinders and did some engine clean/tune up a lil.

Attachments

• P1010956.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 687

i got a chance to make my own clubman bars last week, turned out pretty cool, was able to take the stock cruiser bars, cut them, figure out my angles and all that crap, and weld them up. il post a pic soon.
also thinkin of fab'n up my own tail section, but we'll see what happends, might be worth just buying it instead. then again, the feeling of accomplishment when one makes somethin is pretty rad.haha...

Re: my cafe/bobber/cafe. bofe racer? build. leaning more towards cafe.lol

I don't know exactly how your fab skills are, but I would expect that if you can weld your own clubmans, you can do your tail. I did mine, and it wasn't hard, but I also did a very simple design. I think I had a total of $50 in my seat and tail including everything I used to upholster it.

Man I really can't wait to see how this one turns out! I love that engine and the basic geometry of the bike isn't bad so you might just end up with something unique. Eff the haters!

kadavenport said:
I don't know exactly how your fab skills are, but I would expect that if you can weld your own clubmans, you can do your tail. I did mine, and it wasn't hard, but I also did a very simple design. I think I had a total of $50 in my seat and tail including everything I used to upholster it.

do you have any tips?

i cut out a piece of plastic from a bucket, i was able to shape it with a heat gun, but its still a little flimsy, im thinking of making some kind of bracing frame on the inside outta some sturdy metal strap, then a simple overlayed metal pan for the seat pad, i want it to stay on top of the bike frame, and stay light, so i guess we'll see what happends.

Swagger said:
Man I really can't wait to see how this one turns out! I love that engine and the basic geometry of the bike isn't bad so you might just end up with something unique. Eff the haters!

hey thanks man, im pretty excited about it, hopefully itl look the part when im done.
and your right, screw them haters!.haha

hurley209 said:
do you have any tips?

i cut out a piece of plastic from a bucket, i was able to shape it with a heat gun, but its still a little flimsy, im thinking of making some kind of bracing frame on the inside outta some sturdy metal strap, then a simple overlayed metal pan for the seat pad, i want it to stay on top of the bike frame, and stay light, so i guess we'll see what happends.

Its not the lightest thing in the world, but I used mild steel sheet, (you can pick some up at Lowes, if you don't have a metal supply shop). Find something heavy and cylintrical (I used an empty acetolyne tank) and place it in the middle of your metal sheet. Pull up each side of the sheet and slowly roll the heavy cylintrical object back and forth by pulling the sides. Once the metal has a good curve to it, find some card board and start making templates. Once you get a shape you like out of cardboard, trace it on the curved metal sheet and use metal cutting snips to cut it out. You can then either rivit or weld the sheet to the end of your existing seat pan, or make a new one. Check out my CL350 thread to see pics of the process. I hope this makes sense. Oh and if your just going to rivit the sheet to your pan or have the skill to weld aluminum, you can by aluminum sheet instead. Good luck buddy.

kadavenport said:
Its not the lightest thing in the world, but I used mild steel sheet, (you can pick some up at Lowes, if you don't have a metal supply shop). Find something heavy and cylintrical (I used an empty acetolyne tank) and place it in the middle of your metal sheet. Pull up each side of the sheet and slowly roll the heavy cylintrical object back and forth by pulling the sides. Once the metal has a good curve to it, find some card board and start making templates. Once you get a shape you like out of cardboard, trace it on the curved metal sheet and use metal cutting snips to cut it out. You can then either rivit or weld the sheet to the end of your existing seat pan, or make a new one. Check out my CL350 thread to see pics of the process. I hope this makes sense. Oh and if your just going to rivit the sheet to your pan or have the skill to weld aluminum, you can by aluminum sheet instead. Good luck buddy.
AWSOME,
so i got curious, and decided to just try and make one like you did, with a piece of sheet metal, i had an old street sign i found while cleaning up a property, and started shaping it out, turns out i like this method better, so i got myself a bigger sheet this morning so i can make it tommorow, im going to be making the whole pan with tail. il post some pix.
thanks a bunch for the tips.

alright, so i know, i stopped posting, my bad, had family over for a few days and you all know how that goes.

i finaly got around to mounting my headlight, haha, also cut the frame a bit more, hammered out and bent some sheet metal and made myself a tail section and seat pan,tried experimenting with running short pipes, ended up not diggin it, so i stuck with slip ons.
il get some pix up of the progress hopefully tonight.... hopefully..lol

alright, here are some pix showing stuff done so far, lowering, cosmetics, al the good stuff.lol.etc..

Attachments

• P1011086.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 608

satin black, with gloss gold.
pan/tail section.
a work in progress, slowly but surely.

Coming along nicely. That tail looks good, esp for a first attemp.

thanks! i was originaly wanting to go with a more round design, but i found this design to flow better with the shape of the tank, it seemed to make a smoother line throught.

my buddy is bobbing this same bike! great scoot man! those suckers RIP! loving hwat you got so far!!!!

Thanks man,appreciate it, im really having fun with it, im about done with the tail, just gotta do the body work on it and paint, hopefully this weekend. next im planning to move the rear sets towards the back, we'll see how that goes.

and you gotta post some pix of your buddys bike in hear dude, id like to take a peak at that, sounds pretty rad.

will do man! ill get some from him, it is his first build as well so he is going VERY slow!!!

check it out fella's, here is a mock up of the tail and seat i made.
i still have to do some foam work and shaping of the seat, and im going to re paint the tail cuz im picky like that, haha.
let me know what you guys think.

also, what do you guys think of the checkered pleather fabric i put on the seat? im thinking of going solid black instead.
thanks-

Back
Top Bottom