Cafe Fabrications Custom Front wheel Project CB750...

gsalter

Check out the front wheel we machined out on Friday for our project. If you go to the website click on current projects and you will see a slide show. If you go to the blog you can see some bigger images of the wheel. Thanks for looking...

gsalter

http://cafefabrications.com/default.aspx

http://cafefabrications.blogspot.com/

There's way too much goddamn talent on this forum. That exhaust is something I'd kick around in my head for twenty minutes before thinking it'd be too difficult to fabricate.

And that wheel just leaks class (to steal the Triumph/bsa idiom)

Erch said:
And that wheel just leaks class (to steal the Triumph/bsa idiom)

Personally?
I don't think so.
Its closer to the beginning of the end when someone is throwing cubic dollars at a 30+ yr old bike
Wheel alone is probably more expensive than several builds combined, plus, I didn't like Comstar wheels when they were current.
That looks like an updated version waiting for the plastic Honda badge

PJ

Yes, it's probably not the greatest idea if you're sticking to budget. I'm just saying it's classier than going the route of:

flame%20harley%20wheel.jpg

crazypj said:
Its closer to the beginning of the end when someone is throwing cubic dollars at a 30+ yr old bike.

Agreed, money can't buy you good taste. Nice work but somewhat misplaced on a CB750. At least I hope those are 18 inchers and not 17s. I can never understand the obsession of some builders who want to modernize a bike that is so closely linked with a bygone era. There will always be fans of this build style but I won't be subscribing to the newsletter.

DrJ said:
Agreed, money can't buy you good taste. Nice work but somewhat misplaced on a CB750. At least I hope those are 18 inchers and not 17s. I can never understand the obsession of some builders who want to modernize a bike that is so closely linked with a bygone era. There will always be fans of this build style but I won't be subscribing to the newsletter.

How is that miss placed on a CB750? The idea came from the Comstar design. It is from that era just not that bike... BTW the wheel is 19"...

Erch That wheel is you posted is God Damn Ugly.. We wanted the opposite of that wheel. We do have a budget too...

Comstars didn't arrive until late 70's, ( I think 1978, maybe 79?)
first ones had some issues where spokes came loose so Honda redesigned them (twice)
Sorry, they are not a 'cafe' thing :-[
In fact, no cast/forged/billet wheels are 'Cafe' because its a late 50's through 60's 'style, it was already dying out/dead by early/mid 70's
(but some people, 'kept the faith' ;D)
The Rickman, Dresda, Egli, etc were start of superbike era.
The 'style' thing is the reason one of the worst bikes ever made is so popular here (Honda CB360)
It fit's the style perfectly, there are a lot of them out there and, it's still cheap

PJ

crazypj said:
Comstars didn't arrive until late 70's, ( I think 1978, maybe 79?)
first ones had some issues where spokes came loose so Honda redesigned them (twice)
Sorry, they are not a 'cafe' thing :-[
In fact, no cast/forged/billet wheels are 'Cafe' because its a late 50's through 60's 'style, it was already dying out/dead by early/mid 70's
(but some people, 'kept the faith' ;D)
The Rickman, Dresda, Egli, etc were start of superbike era.
The 'style' thing is the reason one of the worst bikes ever made is so popular here (Honda CB360)
It fit's the style perfectly, there are a lot of them out there and, it's still cheap

PJ

I am still a little confused? Excuse my ignorance but we are building a 1978 Honda CB 750K, hence the era of wheel we chose. I don't concern myself with when and era of Cafe Racers ended or allegedly ended. If that's the case why are we bothering with these bikes in the first place? We have the belief that it's an expression of ones self and idea. I like the idea of a Cafe bikes whether it's from 1950 or 1978. We love them all and the uniqueness of each one built. It's the idea and the art of doing it and keeping it alive for me. CF could just build a big UGLY CHOPPER and call it a day... But that's not what we like or care to do.
I am sure plenty of people here would disagree with your statement about the (Honda CB360).. I for one like that bike too.

BTW.. Thanks for the help on the plugs with the other thread.

hey pj, if the 360 is such a bad bike, why the hell are you building two of them and putting as much time as you are into them ;) :D

Hi gsalter, (and Rocan ;))
I trained as a precision machinist (around 1974) and can appreciate the work that went into the wheel, even using CAD/CNC

I also ran workshop for Honda dealer in 1978.

I like CB/CJ250/360 and I'm still working on oiling mods to keep top end alive at 12,000rpm.

At present, I have 4~5 CB360's in various stages of.... (build isn't quite the right word ;))

I've had at least 10 CB/CJ250's (same motor, smaller bore) including a 120mph 391 kit. which is why I feel fully qualified to criticise them

There are much worse bikes out there, but not made in such quantity.

For example, any Harley two stroke, most 1970's Spanish/Italian twostrokes, most east German twostrokes (although most can be salvaged with work)

Major issue, (I think I posted it here somewhere?) when Honda uprated the oil pump, it caused oil feed problems to cylinder head.

However you build it, it will be Cafe style bike and I hope you can do what you want with it ( Is it personal, customer build or for sale?)

Personally, with your resources, I would have tried to make it look 'older' and looked into making a 4 leading shoe brake (Fontana/Grimeca pattern, seen the price of Yamaha racing brakes? There's one on eBay for $3,800 :eek:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/td-tr-Yamaha-4-shoe-frt-brake-alloy-wheel-VERY-RARE-TZ-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563a943a24QQitemZ370349980196QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Just been checking eBay, there's another one, $8,500 :eek: :eek: totally insane price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/td-tr-GP-4-shoe-yamaha-front-brake-wm1-rim-Rare-TZ-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem562e672e9aQQitemZ370145701530QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

PJ

Crazypj

This is Cafe Fabrications personal bike. We are building it for ourselves. If I was building a Yamaha I would maybe consider using a wheel of that sort. That's a big under taking at the moment. I understand the problems that Honda had with their wheels. I can assure you we won't. I still like the wheel we chose. This is our first build and we wanted to do something completely out of the box. Old with a modern twist if you will. Hench the Comstar wheel revision on our build.

Machining capabilities have changed a lot since 1974 allowing us to make a sexy wheel with a vintage look. (our opinion)

thanks
gsalter

Vintage is relative (I'm working on being an old fart) ;)
At least I recognised it right away so it has to be a good likeness ;D
I guess if Honda had done it right first time I wouldn't dislike them so much
(don't even ask about Honda V-fours :mad:)
Yam brake was just for example, stupid expensive, even if it is rare.

PJ

Y'all are starting to sound as bitchy and whiney as the restoration only sites. What is going on?
This is a nice looking build, by someone who has skills and access to high-dollar equipment. I don't see why it should threaten a "garage builder" or any definition of a cafe bike.

More power to anyone who builds his own bike. Just not my style and there's nothing wrong with saying that.

I like the build! I also like the fact that they haven't given it some ugly chick name!!!!!!! You Cafe purists need to get your asses out of the 60/70 era, and when you get them into 2010, pull your head out of them! Nothing wrong with using todays technology on an old bike, and as a matter of fact the guys who started this Cafe thing many years ago, sure as Hell would have approved of this build, as this is what Cafe is all about. Using what is available, with the resources you have! Build away guys!!!!!!!!!! Nice job. Maybe if you installed those Cafe gay bar end mirrors, some of these people would like your build (sarcasm, as I think they look like shit)

I am loving it, keep it up! I like to see these bikes done in a modern fashion! I say you can name it an old womans name, I am quite partial to that! I guess I don't fit KD's stereo type of using old womens names and being a purist! O-well, I have never quite fit a mold anyway!

DrJ said:
More power to anyone who builds his own bike. Just not my style and there's nothing wrong with saying that.
Granted, but as an OG, cafe ninja, ton-up moderator dude, your opinion carries a little more weight. That's all I'm sayin....well that and if we don't evolve we're just like the "Society of Creative Anacronism" on bikes.

killerdwarf said:
I like the build! I also like the fact that they haven't given it some ugly chick name!!!!!!! You Cafe purists need to get your asses out of the 60/70 era, and when you get them into 2010, pull your head out of them! Nothing wrong with using todays technology on an old bike, and as a matter of fact the guys who started this Cafe thing many years ago, sure as Hell would have approved of this build, as this is what Cafe is all about. Using what is available, with the resources you have! Build away guys!!!!!!!!!! Nice job. Maybe if you installed those Cafe gay bar end mirrors, some of these people would like your build (sarcasm, as I think they look like shit)

Dats funny, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
2010 ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (ad nauseum)
So, we all forget about cafe and move straight to 160 mph 600's or 187mph 1000/1300/1400?
Of course its creative anachronism, it's the entire raison d'etre

PJ

"Of course its creative anachronism, it's the entire raison d'etre"
Yes, but within reason, ::) We still upgrade brakes, clutch material, electronics, engine parts/airflow, pipes, suspension parts, and don't forget tires ;)
Everybody spends more on parts than they gave for the bike, and most spend more than the bike would be worth on the open market. But it is ALWAYS what makes the bike yours.

Back
Top Bottom