Maritimes 450 - Got her done for the season and went for a ride F the snow!

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
Well, the Father in Law gave me back the 450 for now, and so I couldn't leave it alone ;D i got 100 dollars for my Birthday in August and went straight to princess Auto for stuff to play on the bike, Fiberglass, tail light, tools. Money well spent. I did not have a camera until today so the seat is at the bondo/fill stage, but here is the plans.

Done to date.

Relocated electrics under seat.
Built battery box out of aluminum angle and hung under seat.
Side covers gone.
Build seat from florist foam, cardboard etc. Glassed and ready to fill, sand fill, sand fill sand .......... Prime and paint.

to do:
Repaint the tank and seat to match each other
lower front fender to hug the tire and paint ti to match body.
Paint rear fender that I chopped to match.
Probably run a nice stripe along all.
Clean the thing up. It's dirty from being ridden a lot in the rain etc.

If I get some more$$:
New pipes, reverse cones hopefully.
paint wheels, relocate gauges, remove console/idiot lights and just put oil light on bucket, maybe neutral light since it works.

Pics so far:

kijijistuff114.jpg

kijijistuff115.jpg

kijijistuff117.jpg

Any thoughts welcome. Oh and I am thinking a two tone paint maybe with scallops on the tank and seat and fill the badges and put old school honda wings on the tank and maybe numbers or something on the seat sides.

Re: Got the 450 Back, couldn't leave it alone!

Cool Mike! Keeping the mags? Cant wait to see what you do with this.....

You should totally get that pic and edit out your flying little terrier and put a tank badge of him on the bike!

He fits the shape of the tank and all! ;D :D

Is that a frizbee he is after? (small things amuse small minds that amuse me... hehehe)

Well She is a spaniel and yep, I chucked the frisbee just before I took the pic of the bike. I could maybe do a profile of her on the bike but it may look like I was trying to copy greyhound ;D

ugh, that frame is ugly. hack that mofo and get rid of that curved rear end! or put side covers on it...

looks good otherwise.

thanks Rich, I have to keep the comstars, Can't affords to switch em. I will paint them when $$ allow. I put a brand new set of avons on at the end of last season. I think they are worth half what I paid for the bike ;D. I just got done doing the first coat of bondo on the seat, looking better already. I ran out so I will have to see if i can get some tomorrow. I did crack the little bit under the light so i will have to fix that too. This seat is soo much netter than the stock for me even without the pad yet. I am not so cramped up. I may try some rear sets too if i can make something cheap.

Cheers,

Mike

Yeah Rocan I know, it is the wonderful 80's frame, but I got no funds or welder. So I have to do what I can for now. I am going to remove all the tabs etc, from the frame and once the seat is painted it will look a little better. I have seen it done on here.

Cheers.

Maritime said:
Yeah Rocan I know, it is the wonderful 80's frame, but I got no funds or welder. So I have to do what I can for now. I am going to remove all the tabs etc, from the frame and once the seat is painted it will look a little better. I have seen it done on here.

Cheers.

just side cover it! will look great... just like how goldwings look good with side covers, but terrible (imho) totally naked.

That's a good start on a limited budget. The biggest issue with that particular bike IMHO is the style of the frame and tank which don't lend themselves to a cafe look without a lot of work and dollars.

The tank is shaped like a classic Flat Tracker and it seems to me that maybe it work better with a contrasting teardrop on the tank and a flat track seat with side number plates. They would cover all that podgey midriff nakedness and would also disguise the frame shape somewhat.

This is a 30 second attempt to create a different image.

kijijistuffv20.jpg

The seat could probably be a little taller and maybe tie in to the fender shape or eliminate the fender. It was just a quickie to see how it might look. work with it.

I used to grab dozens of pictures of bikes I liked the looks of and played with the shapes in my mind and back in the day I just took photocopies and drew on the copies until the shape emerged. Colored pencils are way cheaper than buying stuff and cutting it up.

Love the look of that photochopped seat better.

One technique I've used to help get that fiberglass smooth rather than using boatloads of bondo is to sand all the high spots and get the shape as even as possible, then pour/brush straight resin over the shell. Boat builders use this technique to fill in the gaps in the weave. There will be a couple of pinholes but nothing glazing putty won't fix, lightly sand then paint. TADA

That 400 is a great looking little bike.

Thanks, I thought about the number plates. I still have to finish the electrical box and it will have sides that I will paint to match the frame. The tracker idea matches the tank shape better but I might reshape the tank with glass Like some others have done. Biggest issue for me is lack of $$$, anything is better than the but ugly stock seat, and I am sure it will change again down the road. I will finish this seat even of it is just for the experiance. The big reasson I went cafe seat is the stock seat to pegs is too low and I get leg cramps after about 40 mins. I made a quick fiberglass pan and it sat about where this one does and I could ride much longer before cramping up.

Thanks for the input. Cheers.

jay_kent said:
Love the look of that photochopped seat better.

One technique I've used to help get that fiberglass smooth rather than using boatloads of bondo is to sand all the high spots and get the shape as even as possible, then pour/brush straight resin over the shell. Boat builders use this technique to fill in the gaps in the weave. There will be a couple of pinholes but nothing glazing putty won't fix, lightly sand then paint. TADA

That 400 is a great looking little bike.

Thanks Jay. I wish I got that befor I put the bondo to it, but I'll know for next time. It actually isn't too bad so far. I got the hump almost completely smoothed out and just have to do anopther pass at the sides. I will have a seat pan to make for the vinyl and foam then it will be mounted with some industrial velcro. I'tt then paint it and the tank etc. when I can afford the Paint.

Cheers,

Loving the seat/tail..I gotta do something about mine! Its the only thing I haven't touched yet!

Thanks Shaun, I am going to roll this one for a while until I can afford to do a total build on her. Got it to primer tonight, going to need a light wet sand and maybe a little more glazing in the spots that show up after priming. Then I can hopefully afford some paint to do it and the tank and fenders. I think I will do the fenders in black, I have some of that already, it's engine paint but i can cure it in the BBQ and it should be good.

Pics, Camera is acting up and flash wouldn't work, basement lights are shit.:

kijijistuff118.jpg

kijijistuff119.jpg

I still have the foam hump, I could mail it to you and you could mountit and glass it, I used cardboard for the rest of the seat. You would have to do the hard part though ;D

If you're serious, I'll take you up on that offer to "borrow" the foam..Lemme know!

Let me check that I didn't damage it when I chucked it in the garbage box. If it is ok shape you can have it. Let you know.

Ok was home for lunch today and checked the seat out in the daylight. Needs a lite sanding and a few places need a little glaze I couldn't see until primed. Close to paint ready. Got to finish the electrics tray and glass up the seat pan for the leather and foam. I have enough leather bits left to cover the closed cell foam pad I have. I will then be ready to paint everything and will take it all down and paint at the same time, Saturday is supposed to be wram and sunny enough I hope to knock out most of it then.

Paint Ideas, Let me know your thoughts.
bikenew2.jpg

bikenew1.jpg

bikenew3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom