Forever ongoing CB400F project

Rat400F

Been Around the Block
I thought I'd start adding pictures and info about what I'm doing. I bought a CB400F that had already been modified to resemble vintage cafe racer style. The seat was already done and the battery compartment had already been opened up.
I'm planing:
1.Powder coating hubs and lacing them with aluminum rims
2.I have a second motor I currently disassembling that will be getting the big bore kit and yoshi exhaust
3.I am making my own rearsets
4.I'm looking for different levers/master cyclinder/buttons and what have ya to clean up the front end.
I'm also going to replace every bolt or part that I can to make the bike as vintage looking as possible but with new technology. Some vintage aspects will be passed on for the sake of better performance/ handling.
I'm totally new to working on motorcycles but not riding. I've ridden since I was about 12 but I've never really had a bike that I wanted to customize.

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

When I got the bike it had clubmans on it but I I changed them out to clip-ons, these ones, http://guzzino.com/tahicl.html, well not exactly those ones. The ones I got are the short rise of those.
I then got these bar end mirrors http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/Bar_End_Mirrors.html
I didn't like the way they bolted on so I had a friend weld some metal into the end of the bars and I tapped them to fit a bolt.
IMG_4960.jpg

I had to cut a part off the housing but now they bolt right into the end of the bar instead of using the pinch bolt they came with. Much better attachment IMO.
Here's the finished look.

IMG_5113.jpg

I'm making my own rearsets because I want to be able to use the kick start and leave the starter off. I also want to do something different with the pegs themselves. Here's the layout of the brackets that the pegs will bolt to.
IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

valvesprung said:
Bike looks killer, but I think it's time to douse it in simple green and give her a hose down ;D

Haha, you're right it's pretty dirty. I've been putting it off because I was going to change so many things but maybe I'll do it anyway. ;D

Here's some progress pics of the the motor being disassembled.

IMG_4962.jpg

So far so good.

IMG_4963.jpg

I guess this is why I've always thought that starting a motor that has been in storage is a bad idea.

IMG_4969.jpg

The cylinders and side of the pistons look a lot better than the tops of all the cylinders.

IMG_4973.jpg

boomshakalaka said:
I like the cowl... I was thinking about doing something similar..

Thanks, it was made by the guys at Twinline here in Seattle. I'm thinking about remaking it out of aluminum and making it so it's completely closed off on the bottom. I'd keep the same design, size and shape but behind the seat pad there would be a removable panel, I could store tools in there. I've notice that the tire has touched it one or twice two so it needs to have just about a 1/2" more clearance as well.

Here's as far as I got last night with the rearset brackets.
rearset.jpg

brakerearset.jpg

I hit a bump the other night, bottomed out the rear shocks and it tore out my rear plastic fender that had a bunch of electrical attached to it up under the seat bump. I scrapped the plastic fender completely and started a aluminum. I hope to have some pics of it up by Wednesday. I also tightened up the shocks in hopes it'll take less to bottom out.

Keep us posted with those rearset pics and build. I was thinking of welding a bracket straight to the frame and bolting on a set of fireblade rearsets. Not sure if it will work just yet, but will keep you informed of my progress!!!

Kind Regards
SF

Well I hope to work on the rear sets next week after I get the front brake all dialed in. I have new levers and the blinker switch is in the brake lever so I am running a continuous SS brake line with all new fittings, pads and piston. I also did this last night.
disk-1.jpg

Every night this week I hope to limp forward with something new ;D

nice going so far!

you can get away with drilling wayyyy more holes in that rotor....

Remember kids... keep away from suspended mass!

The short answer about the battery is yes and it's under where I sit. I'll take pics and post them here next time the seat is off.

I got my new front brake lever and ss braided brake line on. I need to come up with a different way of attaching at the caliper though. The line is pretty close to the front tire. I'm not going to worry about it until I get my new front fender made because that will change the route of the line anyway.
Now I have an unobstructed Stainless Steel braided line that goes straight from the lever to the caliper. The stock reservoir also interfered with the clamps for my clip ons but the new one fits a lot better. This gives me the ability to adjust the bars more to my liking. The brake light switch is in the lever.

The brakes function so much better. I feel like I could do an endo like I used to do on my BMX bike when I was a kid.

lever.jpg

caliper.jpg

Rocan said:
nice going so far!

you can get away with drilling wayyyy more holes in that rotor....

Remember kids... keep away from suspended mass!

I kind of like the way it looks now but I will add more holes when I get around to picking up more drill bits.

Back
Top Bottom