1949 Ford F-3 "old red truck"

Hurco550 said:
I always wonder what kind of e.g.t.'s some of those are putting out. That bright orange (if the tube is stainless" looks to me to be around the 1600-1700 deg F range, which makes me think the e.g.t. is higher yet. That's amazing
Typically, 1600 - 1700°F is a dull orange. The brightest part of that pipe looks to be more than 2000°F. Heat starts to turn white above 2300°F.
 
irk miller said:
Typically, 1600 - 1700°F is a dull orange. The brightest part of that pipe looks to be more than 2000°F. Heat starts to turn white above 2300°F.

true, and it is looking pretty white at the collector too. How those things don't melt down instantly amazes me.
 
Seriously, or warp like crazy. I can see how any bearing survives, at least.
 
Well slap my ass and call me Betty, I'm in.
 

Attachments

  • betty.jpg
    betty.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 578
As mentioned earlier, the old guy that gave me this truck had bought a fiberglass front fender set. These fenders are for a ford F1 half ton, which have slightly smaller wheel well openings than the originals on the f3 I ton, but should play well with the half ton wheel conversion.

I kinda lucked out that the trade school that I work at is restoring an early fire truck for the next town over, and of course they are painting it red. I thought to myself "hmm I have some black fiberglass fenders that need to be red" so I dropped them off this morning and they are going to spray them for me while the fire truck is already in the booth. Chances of them matching color wise to the rest of my truck are slim, but hey at least they wont just be black gel coat anymore, and the price of free is always good with me.
9e68f19fa8796e9021e69a954df320b2.jpg
f6db971efe82453ab87628c8ab06e5c3.jpg
 
This is great - now I can watch Wheeler Dealers and Iron Resurrection all evening and then keep the good times rolling on this forum. Love it.
 
You've made me want to do a summer build and build thread on my Box Chevy for summer vacation.
 
Jimbo, glad I can help ;) Also why I love this forum, I know there are others that would flame a "non related project". I got flamed by an older member on a certain rat rod forum that shall remain un named for posting up a picture of my rd project. He claimed that "us young new guys come in and ruin the forum with non related junk". I have been a member there since 2007, he had been on there since 2012 lol I haven't been back.

You should do that irk, I love me some box chevy. I always enjoy seeing you and redbird posting yours up.
 
Hurco550 said:
Jimbo, glad I can help ;) Also why I love this forum, I know there are others that would flame a "non related project". I got flamed by an older member on a certain rat rod forum that shall remain un named for posting up a picture of my rd project. He claimed that "us young new guys come in and ruin the forum with non related junk". I have been a member there since 2007, he had been on there since 2012 lol I haven't been back.

You should do that irk, I love me some box chevy. I always enjoy seeing you and redbird posting yours up.

I'm a member of a Mopar forum that I joined long before I came here. I got similar attitude and a lot of racism and other junk there, too. This is home and it will have to take my junk. LOL
 
I don't get those folks, if your not into trucks, don't fucking read the threads with trucks. Hell I'm posting progress on Mr. Magoo's cosplay costume because I know at least 3 other members who's kid are into that. Carry on, and free red paint is great, try and ask for any leftover for the rest of the truck LOL. We have the sections in the forum here for all that and still some people complain about anything non-cafe racer. too late to change the name now but it should be called "A great place to shoot the shit on the interwebs with great folks who like motorcycles but have other stuff that's rad in their lives and like to share that stuff cause other folks might like it and give them some feedback and ideas on how to do it easier/faster/cheaper/better/safer......... ;D
 
Me I just like watching people make stuff. I used to be a silversmith in another life (my wife and I now have a business making bronze jewelry), and really enjoy the creative processes involved in pretty much anything. I thank my Granny for that - when i was a kid we'd make spaceships out of cardboard kitchen rolls and snare drums out of lentil boxes.

But cars and bikes, man I could watch that all day. If I could go back and do it all over again I wouldn't change much - but I'd've loved to have shoehorned myself into the restoration/custom business. Not too late maybe...
 
I just love watching others create/rebuild/restore stuff.

Cars/trucks/motorcycles/motorhomes/houses/sheds/barnsintohouses/tinyhouses.

Wishing I could do stuff like that too.

You see all the stuff in my signature, and only 2 of them are ride/driveable.

Bet you can't guess which ones.
 
Talk about quick turn around, I dropped the fenders off this morning at the lab across the school, and they already have them shot. To be fair, all they did was scuff the gel coat and threw on a coat of red, but it still looks way better than the rest of the truck, that's for sure haha. Ill let them cure in the booth over the weekend.
92b9eac8cb066ecf38bfcc434b35ea51.jpg
40a92ca827c2bbb3f2ecc0ab0b30af47.jpg
 
I am against you posting and working on this truck, because its preventing you from working on that 'Rupp' minibike..... Then finish this, but lets see that bad thing see the finish!
 
Re: 1949 Ford F-3 "old red truck"

JSJamboree said:
I am against you posting and working on this truck, because its preventing you from working on that 'Rupp' minibike..... Then finish this, but lets see that bad thing see the finish!
But that means I'd have to pull it down from the ceiling where it's hanging. That takes way to much work.
4b46777b45a106de3e3343a5f8440ad9.jpg


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Re: 1949 Ford F-3 "old red truck"

Hurco550 said:
But that means I'd have to pull it down from the ceiling where it's hanging. That takes way to much work.

Levi has all sorts of projects just hanging around. :D
 
Re: 1949 Ford F-3 "old red truck"

ridesolo said:

Levi has all sorts of projects just hanging around. :D
Ha some (miss hurco550) say I have to many projects hanging around lol


In other news, I picked up a disc brake rear axle out of a 97 ford explorer.

8dd9fd2f8f41c4522dd5d46afdb55b6c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom