1974 Yamaha RD200

Small bikes are like kittens or puppies, too damn cute.

The big difference is that they never grow up, so they stay cute. :)
 
My new sandblasting setup made short work of the engine cases and heads. Still gotta figure out how to restore the metal decal thing on the alternator cover.

The rest of the engine cases and the jugs are currently with the machinist. I'm going .25 over on this one.

New seal and gasket kit already arrived and I just need to clean up the crank, wait for the machinist, and then paint everything before I can reassemble.

The frame, new tank, and new tail are with a buddy of mine. We're doing a labor trade and he's going to fab everything up and also make a new oil tank.

I forgot to grab a pic of the tank and tail before I sent it over to him, but they're the Benelli Mojave style. They're being modified to fit the RD as well as swapping out the gas cap for something lower profile.
 

Attachments

  • parts.png
    parts.png
    959.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200720_090758.jpg
    20200720_090758.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 245
Outside fin got a quick once over with a Roloc pad and then some time on the buffing wheel with some brown tripoli. Not perfect, but looks good from a few feet away.
 

Attachments

  • head.png
    head.png
    852.4 KB · Views: 250
I wish my 400 head had half that shine! But, at least the paint is off of it now. Just getting back into the smokers, I hadn't realized how many variants Yamaha went through with parallel twin 2Ts. And when they seemed to perfect it with the LC versions, governments outlawed new production.

BTW, there are a couple British-based RD sites that have had chamber design discussions on them, including software links.
 
Last edited:
BTW, there are a couple British-based RD sites that have had chamber design discussions on them, including software links.

Thanks. I spoke to my fab guy and he said to make me some chambers (even with the measurements) I'd be looking at $800 to $1200, so I'm still trying to figure that one out. Pretty good chance I'll stick with stock pipes for now, but I can get some Higgs sent over from the UK for about $700. https://higgspeed.com/product/expansion-chambers​/yamaha/yamaha-rd200-1972-1980/
 
I have one of these I picked up for $150 , its not in near the condition of yours and the engine is locked up tight, it does have a kickstarter though and I am considering parting the engine, carbs and exhaust out and doing an engine transplant. I will be listing some stuff here shortly as well as some parts off the colleta build that were left over , hopefully it will save someone from having to look for rare parts.
 
I got the jugs back from the machinist (.25mm over bore). So I spent the afternoon cleaning up the engine cases and such. Just need a wipe down with acetone and then they'll be ready for paint.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20201220_203952644.jpg
    PXL_20201220_203952644.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 221
  • PXL_20201220_204003701.jpg
    PXL_20201220_204003701.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 224
  • PXL_20201222_011501018.jpg
    PXL_20201222_011501018.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 241
I got the jugs back from the machinist (.25mm over bore). So I spent the afternoon cleaning up the engine cases and such. Just need a wipe down with acetone and then they'll be ready for paint.

Sweet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Any update on how the tank is looking? I’m curious about these Mojave tanks online, quality?
Not super impressed with the quality. It's taking a lot of work to get it in usable shape. When it arrived, it looked like somebody sprayed the inside with what I can only assume was liner, but looked more like primer. More than a little rust and lots of slag and splatter from welding in the bung for the cap. We decided to cut the tank open to clean it out and weld in a new bung as well. The seat was better, but we're also cutting that one up to make it fit. It was several inches too wide for the RD200. Slow going, but hope to have something to show before too long.
 
Finally getting some more fab work done. The Mojave tank and seat are taking a little effort to get them to fit correctly. Final version will have the front of the tank raised up a little bit for an even line.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20210208_084638.jpg
    IMG_20210208_084638.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20210208_084637.jpg
    IMG_20210208_084637.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20210208_084641.jpg
    IMG_20210208_084641.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20210208_084640.jpg
    IMG_20210208_084640.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20210208_084636.jpg
    IMG_20210208_084636.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20210208_084634.jpg
    IMG_20210208_084634.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20210208_084632.jpg
    IMG_20210208_084632.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 205
The oil tank came out great. We went with a custom made option that doubles as a rear fender.
 

Attachments

  • 157646523_10159438569980159_5618810515304426666_n.jpg
    157646523_10159438569980159_5618810515304426666_n.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 198
  • 157836897_10159438569925159_5842795812120817976_n.jpg
    157836897_10159438569925159_5842795812120817976_n.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 158147134_10159438569865159_5655471088776281656_n.jpg
    158147134_10159438569865159_5655471088776281656_n.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 157985196_10159438569790159_2639236779790842815_n.jpg
    157985196_10159438569790159_2639236779790842815_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 211
I've got a friend doing the fab work for me. I'll see if I can find out where he got it from.
 




There are others...
 
Back
Top Bottom