We noticed you are blocking ads. DO THE TON only works with community supporters. Most are active members of the site with small businesses. Please consider disabling your ad blocking tool and checking out the businesses that help keep our site up and free.
Painted, polished and spiffed up. Polishing is honestly my least favorite part of a build. There’s just so much sanding by hand involved. But the end result is definitely worth it.
320 grit. Once you think you’re done... you’re only about 1/3 of the way. Then repeat with 600 grit. Then 1000. Then the fun part, polish with brown Tripoli a couple times over.
Paint is high temp primer, high temp paint and high temp clear. Used vht on the last bike. Trying out rustolium in this one.
While adjusting the tappets, I noticed a small amount of light leaking through the left valve’s exhaust port. So... pulled it apart and cleaned it up. I do have valve grinding/lapping compound, but my spring compressor isn’t deep enough for me to put the little stem locks back in again (had to improvise with a 14mm socket as an extender to reach that deep), so I might just take it to moto classic garage and have peace of mind as well.
The culprit seems to be something must have gotten into the cylinder and banged around in there at some point.
The bike shop is crazy busy, and would have had to wait a week or possibly two. So bought some amazon special tools and away we go.
Lapping is pretty straight forward. Remember to lube the valve stems when you put them back in.
Also remember to mark your valves and springs. (Notice my ziplock)