Brat/rat first chop

SquidHunter

Member
First bike build. I’m starting out with a beat up xs650 heritage special. I got it from an older motorcycle mechanic for a good price. It was a runner, though smoking, so I rode it for a while until it finally gave up the ghost. I’ve got a good running 76 motor ready to go in, but now it’s fine to reverse engineer what the previous owner did and clean things up a bit. I’m ditching the tracker kit. It’s horribly uncomfortable anyway. Going to build a brat bike as clean as I possibly can. This will be my first bike build.
Here’s a shot of the bike when I bought it



Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

SquidHunter

Member
Today I finally took all the electronics out and dropped the motor. No need to say it, but the motor was roached. After sending a scope down the spark plug holes, I could see big chunks of metal everywhere. That plus a bent valve.... not good. The crazy thing is it will still start first kick. Compression is bad too.... on to the next



Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

SquidHunter

Member
A lot of tabs and crappy grinds left by the P.O. plus the seat mount fab was thrown together. I’m starting to believe this bike was a quick flip. It doesn’t matter. I cleaned up the seat section. Part of the back end was already chopped



Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

SquidHunter

Member
Checking out the lines now. I feel like the tail slopes downward a little. I’m hoping a nice set of rear shocks will help. If not I’ll find an 18in wheel for the back, and that will surely be the difference


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

SquidHunter

Member
New motor went in well. I’m going to fit everything up, and get it running. Then I’ll break it back down and paint everything. The first thing I’ll have to address is the difference in models. The new motor had points. The previous owner of the new motor upgraded that to a cam timed ignition which is stupid easy to wire up. The only problem is the stock charging system is different. I was already planning on running a PMA system anyway, so no time like the present. Might as well upgrade the carbs while I’m at it.

No time left for today. For now I’ll be waiting on money to come in for parts



Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

teazer

Active Member
DTT BOTM WINNER
And by a strange coincidence we happen to have a set of fully refurbished OEM Mikuni carbs ready to ship for an XS650.
 

SquidHunter

Member
teazer said:
And by a strange coincidence we happen to have a set of fully refurbished OEM Mikuni carbs ready to ship for an XS650.
Which mikunis are they? I’ve got a set of diaphragm ones that are perfect. They were on the 83 motor. I’m looking for a set of round slides


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
Dang it! I’ve got a great set of bs38s. I’m thinking about using the ones I have because money, but they do eventually vibrate loose from the holders


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

3DogNate

"You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
You guys should try the EX500 carbs on an XS650 sometime. They were amazing compared to the rebuilt BS38s I had on my 650. Just takes a pilot, main, needle swap to make them work perfect.
 

SquidHunter

Member
3DogNate said:
You guys should try the EX500 carbs on an XS650 sometime. They were amazing compared to the rebuilt BS38s I had on my 650. Just takes a pilot, main, needle swap to make them work perfect.
I’m interested in more information for sure. What did you mount them with?


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

3DogNate

"You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
SquidHunter said:
I’m interested in more information for sure. What did you mount them with?


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
They fit in the stock intake as is! I can’t remember if I had to use a different rubber set or not, but I don’t recall it. Go over to the xs650.com forum and read up...

Here’s the main thread about them... there are a few. There’s a jetting+needle set that’s pretty proven if you read up.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/ninja-ex500-carbs-on-an-xs650.13070/
 

SquidHunter

Member
3DogNate said:
They fit in the stock intake as is! I can’t remember if I had to use a different rubber set or not, but I don’t recall it. Go over to the xs650.com forum and read up...

Here’s the main thread about them... there are a few. There’s a jetting+needle set that’s pretty proven if you read up.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/ninja-ex500-carbs-on-an-xs650.13070/
Thanks for the tip! I’ll check into that. Im all about a work around. At the end of the day I’m trying to build a bike that functions properly. I’m canning all the bull crap and running bare bones. None of the bells and whistles. Just a great running bike. Dependable and functional.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

3DogNate

"You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
SquidHunter said:
Thanks for the tip! I’ll check into that. Im all about a work around. At the end of the day I’m trying to build a bike that functions properly. I’m canning all the bull crap and running bare bones. None of the bells and whistles. Just a great running bike. Dependable and functional.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
I dug through my build thread (it's a Photobucket victim.) but I found where I posted my Jetting (40Pilots/140 Mains/JJJ needles)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=54941.msg721066#msg721066

I did a high output charging system, Pamco ignition and ran battery-less... that + the modern carbs made it start easy and was dead reliable.
 

SquidHunter

Member
3DogNate said:
I dug through my build thread (it's a Photobucket victim.) but I found where I posted my Jetting (40Pilots/140 Mains/JJJ needles)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=54941.msg721066#msg721066

I did a high output charging system, Pamco ignition and ran battery-less... that + the modern carbs made it start easy and was dead reliable.
Awesome. It currently has the mikes xscharge, cam timed, ignition on it. I’m going to run a pma charging system as well. I’ll also ditch the battery for simplicity sake. For me, it doesn’t have to be pretty just ride good, be fast enough, and be reliable. That’s all I need for a good time. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Member
Previous owner had dropped the fork tubes through the triples to lower the front. I’m not a big fan. The bike definitely handles super squirrelly. I’m going to get a lower kit for the front. I do need to drop the front a bit more to get a level line. Looks like the 2 inch kit will get it. Also, probably need to go with new neck bearings. The back end will need new shocks as well. New chain and sprocket, and probably swing arm bushings and wheel bearings


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

SquidHunter

Member
I may have to save a buck, and use the carbs I have for now. At least to get it up and running


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 
Top Bottom