Brat/rat first chop

pidjones

Over 1,000 Posts
I really need to get a set of spoons and rim protectors. With the GL1000 tires and RD400c tires, it doesn't look too hard. For the GL1800 car tirem it will still go to Walmart.
 

Jimbonaut

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
Fair play mate, making it happen no matter what. Must be brilliant getting this beauty out on the road. Kudos
 

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
I really need to get a set of spoons and rim protectors. With the GL1000 tires and RD400c tires, it doesn't look too hard. For the GL1800 car tirem it will still go to Walmart.
Car tire is no harder than a bike tire. I did the 4 on my Honda pilot easy peasy. I do have a Bead breaker though on the HF tire change stand that make that part easy. It's the hardest part of the whole process.
 

pidjones

Over 1,000 Posts
Car tire is no harder than a bike tire. I did the 4 on my Honda pilot easy peasy. I do have a Bead breaker though on the HF tire change stand that make that part easy. It's the hardest part of the whole process.
Car tire on a motorcycle rim is the hard part (very tight). I've seen guys with the big shop changers struggle with them. The Walmart I take it to has a sport bike rider with another guy there that does his sport bike tires they take care of me real quick.
 

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
Car tire on a motorcycle rim is the hard part (very tight). I've seen guys with the big shop changers struggle with them. The Walmart I take it to has a sport bike rider with another guy there that does his sport bike tires they take care of me real quick.
Gotcha there, I've not done the car tire on a bike wheel.
 

SquidHunter

Been Around the Block
Well, as mentioned before, the British influence is coming out. Sprung a real good oil leak finally. I believe it’s the top banjo bolt. Started getting some white puffs of smoke as well. The saga maybe continues


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Been Around the Block
Retorqued the top banjo bolts, and others. I also checked the valve clearance. Made adjustments to cylinder 2. After that, I resynced the carbs and made 1/4 turn out on the air screws.

It took a few kicks but I got her up and idling. The sputtering on cylinder 2 stopped, so I’m off. Rode everywhere today. That being said there’s still some imperfections. First off, the down shifting is terrible. I can get it down shifted, but I have to tap up first with my toe and then down shift. Worst case is the shift drum. I’ve already ordered an NOS one. I do have a good one an 83 motor........ if I end up having to split the cases, I’ll go ahead and repair anything that needs it but for sure going to do the 5th gear over drive (24tooth).


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

pidjones

Over 1,000 Posts
If the banjo leaks again, pull the copper washers off and anneal them again. Sometimes I think new ones are as dead soft as they can be.
 

SquidHunter

Been Around the Block
That’s not a bad idea. I’m hoping I got them to seat. After swapping and regapping the plugs it runs even better. I’m getting strong pulls through fifth. I’m getting some flat spots in the mid range. I seem to be chasing it around. Doesn’t break up all the time. Seems to be after decel then when accelerating. I’m reading and tuning, but any ideas. I’m thinking about trying out a needle position change


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

NoRiders

Over 1,000 Posts
Just caught up Squidy...jolly well done on getting it running/riding. Liking the simplistic, functional styling and it sounds throaty enough. Nice one chap :)
 

SquidHunter

Been Around the Block
I’ve been trying to figure out the shifting problem, but also just dealing with it so I can break everything in. Today I took the clutch cover off, after a ride, and to my surprise everything looks normal. One thing was not however. As soon as I got the cover off I noticed a tiny woodruff key floating in the oil, with a 10mm nut. It was the nut holding the gear connected to the oil pump. Holy crap, I thought. Buttoned everything back up, after I changed the clutch springs, and now it’s shifting great. Also, it’s running way better. The bike is scary fast. I’m stoked


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Been Around the Block
Really glad I didn’t procrastinate any longer. Also, my 83 clutch spring were slightly longer than the 76’s. They seem to work a lot better tho


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

SquidHunter

Been Around the Block
A full year later. The project continues..... at least it’s a rideable project. I updated the clutch today. Only took one photo. Pretty straight forward. Huge improvement from what I was running, and I shed a few ozs. Still shifts a bit rough sometimes, but there seems to be a sweet spot. Next step, I’m changing the rear sprocket and the suspension. The back shocks are bit too long. There’s too much flex on the swing arm. I’m thinking that’s contributing to the shifting issues. The 30 tooth sprocket isn’t helping either. The combination of the two has created a chain clearance issue that will be corrected.
IMG_1838.JPG



Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

DTT Bike Of The Month Gallery

DTT Light or Dark

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
shop.themotoworks.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com
www.speedmotoco.com
www.lostapostle.ca/
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom