We noticed you are blocking ads. DO THE TON only works with community supporters. Most are active members of the site with small businesses. Please consider disabling your ad blocking tool and checking out the businesses that help keep our site up and free.
Got a "new" cam on eBay, was in great shape and all there. Got it installed the other night but had to wait 24 hrs for the gasket sealer. Need to do all the adjustments today and hopefully she'll be back on the road.
And while in the process I've been working in overhauling a 78' Sachs Westlake moped. Thing was in rough shape with tons of air leaks and broken parts, was being run with no oil for the clutch or trans. Cables and electrical were hack jobs at best. Chains that never saw oil or adjustment. Got her running last night and hit over it's top speed 25mph. I'll post a photo when I get home.
So took the bike out with my brother and friend for a nice 100 mile drive around the fingerlakes. Nearing the second half of the trip I noticed my speedometer acting up. Was reading about 10mph high. Then it kept getting worse till it was reading the ton at around 60mph. So has anyone had an issue with their speedometer? It has a brand new cable last season and never had an issue apart from reading the stock 5mph faster.
Also about 20 miles from home she shit the bed, wouldn't rev above 4k rpm and had no power what to speak of. Every time I stopped I had to run with the bike till she would be able to go without bogging down. I pulled the plug leads to see if I wasn't firing on 1 cyl and it would get worse so I don't think it's a firing issue. Even with the clutch pulled I wouldn't be able to rev her up. I have not had a chance to take a look at her since limping home.
Spot on with the torn diaphragm trek, the left has about a 1 inch rip. I've looked into oem replacements but cheapest was $140 for a set of 2. I decided to go with the jbm industries modification and replacement. Ever ended around a little bit since installing replacement but find that between 0 and a half throttle I get lots of stumbling and low power. I saw on a post for jbm diaphragms on the 360 that you might need to drill out the holes on the slides can anyone vouch for this? and are there other ways to adjust without permantly drilling a larger hole in the slides. I have no issues above half throttle especially above 5k rmp
PJ and I worked on drilling slides together to no good result. Dont drill the slides.
I dont know if he continued w the work alone, after I gave up.
its possible his post just may be "theoretical" thinking out loud.
You can continue working w the JBMs. But sorry to say my JBMs went straight into the trash. My bike wouldnt even try to run with them. Anything past 2500rpm was shit. I ended up w the new Honda slides, daphragms and springs, kit #7 from phish, I believe. And it really paid off w a huge improvement. Im not gonna tell you it was a total "plug and play" type situation as my carbs are HEAVILY modified. the Honda slides may or may not help you as much as they did me.
Glad I could help finding the torn diaphragm...Sucks you found a torn diaphragm.
The JBM diaphragms are softer than stock, and also removing those small plastic keepers makes the slides lighter. Because of that they let the slides rise early, I had the same issues with them in mine they went back in the box and I put stock back on.
Best option is to get factory ones. I know they are pricey but you won't pull near as much hair out with them as you will the JBms. I guess if you had a stock set and weighed them and compared it to the modified ones you'd have something to go on, at least as far as maybe being able to add weight to them.
Yep, it was me who posted about drilling slide holes. I would have to look it up but I think it needs 3.8mm holes? (probably posted somewhere?)
Trek, I was looking through some old pics the other night and found some red carbs
In my experience, the original JBM were stiffer than originals but the new ones are just about as good as original Honda (when slides are drilled)
Drilled to 3.8mm (actually drilled to .149in) as the set I have access to was SAE. Took the bike out and it rips through all rpm and throttle position ranges! Thanks pj you have one again added to my progress!
LOL, I screwed up a few slides working on correct size holes.
Luckily, had several 'spare' as JBM wasn't around making them several years ago
You need to check at fixed throttle positions though, probably have to use 4th or 5th gear when cruising to keep out of any weirdness at specific rpm. 6th is usually OK if your staying over 65mph
I've got good news and bad news. First the good, I have moved to San Diego, California to start my career as an industrial designer. The bad. The bike wasn't able to make the journey with me. Sadly I sold her, but she had gone to a loving home, and will live on with a new owner.