Project CB350F cafe brat

stubsryan

New Member
alpineninja said:
Did you wire up your PC-8 yet? I'm going to attempt mine this weekend.....
I haven’t got one yet. Neat bit of kit which should make the wiring a bit easier to follow. That’s why electricians are so anal about making things clean and orderly, it makes fault finding and even doing a bunch more manageable. If you can, you should probably post up your work. I’m keen too see how it all looks mate.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Luugo86

'73 CB350, '78 XS650 Cafe Killer
I would like to build a 350F more than any other metric bike.. love these little 4s
 

stubsryan

New Member
So it’s been too long since I got anything done on the bike so here I am again. Bought the thing inside to a spare room while the shed is full of crap. Started rebuilding the forks but couldn’t get the bottom screw out to remove the spring. Even used an impact driver with a 6mm Allen key but but it didn’t move so I gave up on that bit.
 

Attachments

stubsryan

New Member
So the shock rams? had some rust so I sanded them back a little, washed with ethanol and tried zinc electroplating after watching a few videos on YouTube. Not even sure I did it right but hopefully it did work so it doesn’t continue to rust. Then I put them back together and will get some oil into them soon


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

stubsryan

New Member
And finally for today, I made a parts vibrator which I first seen on ichiban moto. I have some parts in it at the moment so will see if it works tomorrow. Bit concerned as I don’t have any real rough agrigit. 50% sodium bicarbonate and %50 fine sand stuff leftover from blasting the frame. See what happens soon I guess


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

pidjones

Active Member
To remove the lower bolt: LEAVE THE LEG ASSEMBLED, so the spring holds the internals preventing them from spinning with the bolt. Another thing that can work is to jamb a broom or mop handle in a disassembled leg to hold tension on the piston. Then use the impact and socketed allen key. Easiest is to just do it right after draining and before loosening the triple tree clamps with the bike blocked up.
 

adventurco

Nick Ol' Eye
DTT BOTM WINNER
Put some valve grinding compound on the allen head socket. It will prevent the bolt from stripping out.
 

stubsryan

New Member
pidjones said:
To remove the lower bolt: LEAVE THE LEG ASSEMBLED, so the spring holds the internals preventing them from spinning with the bolt. Another thing that can work is to jamb a broom or mop handle in a disassembled leg to hold tension on the piston. Then use the impact and socketed allen key. Easiest is to just do it right after draining and before loosening the triple tree clamps with the bike blocked up.
Hey mate. Thanks for the advice. The bolt didn’t spin at all. It’s seized in there. My powerful dewalt impact didn’t even budge it. Never mind, it’s not 100% perfectly cleaned out but is a whole lot better than it was. I had them apart only to replace the leaking oil seal. What do you think? Run with it as is or clean every last bit? Seems like a heap more work for maybe very little gain?


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

stubsryan

New Member
Ok so today I started welding a section to the existing crappy exhaust. The steel was so thin that I could only run the arc at 20-30 amps and pulse the rod to stop holes forming. What a nightmare, took ages and looks terrible but will continue tomorrow to get it right. Once that’s done I will wrap the exhaust and then one more piece to the puzzle will be done


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

stubsryan

New Member
Update on the parts cleaner. The sand I used isn’t course enough so will get some new stuff to give it a go and hopefully that sorts out what I’m looking for


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

LightsOut

Member
Whoa, those fork tubes are in real bad shape. You sure about reusing them? Even with the work you’ve done there’s putting in them. I’d be concerned about them tearing the seals or not sealing to begin with. Also, Ichiban Moto is very funny and completely unserious. Is parts vibratory a thing...?


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

stubsryan

New Member
LightsOut said:
Whoa, those fork tubes are in real bad shape. You sure about reusing them? Even with the work you’ve done there’s putting in them. I’d be concerned about them tearing the seals or not sealing to begin with. Also, Ichiban Moto is very funny and completely unserious. Is parts vibratory a thing...?


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Hey mate. Yeah parts vibrators are a thing. It’s kind of worked but the part was probably too rusty and needed to go in the sand blaster. As for the tubes, the rusted section is above where they compress down. I will add a photo to show how the damage is up by the triple clamp and not near the seal.


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

stubsryan

New Member
So this build I’m trying to reuse as much as I can to save money and learn things along the way. Ideally I would by new forks, exhaust etc but cash is an issue. I have probably spent $1800 Australian so far, including the bike in a box I started with. Another $1000 will have it complete with $400 going to new rubber, $200 for the electrical and $400 for odd bits


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

stubsryan

New Member
It’s starting to look better and better. Tank needs work. Heaps of stuff needs work! Haha. Also ran short with wrapping so will order more to finish the last bit


Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
 

Attachments

Top Bottom