Project Ground Pounder -1981 Suzuki DR500

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
Whoever invented these adjustable fuel screws for the FCR is a genius. The factory location is ridiculous .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 259

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Kanticoy said:
Whoever invented these adjustable fuel screws for the FCR is a genius. The factory location is ridiculous .
I put one of those on my dr650 for the same reason, though it was a royal pita to remove the old flexible one that had seized into the carb. Like trying to break a bolt loose using a wet noodle as a ratchet extension lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hurco550 said:
I put one of those on my dr650 for the same reason, though it was a royal pita to remove the old flexible one that had seized into the carb. Like trying to break a bolt loose using a wet noodle as a ratchet extension lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hahaha! That makes me want to put a dab of anti seize on there.
 

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Kanticoy said:
Hahaha! That makes me want to put a dab of anti seize on there.
Do it. Do it now lol I did (on my second one) and have had no issue since.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
Sorry for the lack up updates guys, life and all of that! I have finally gotten motivated and re-committed to getting this thing done. Been working away and I believe that I am ready for tear down and prettying up now. Today I finished the last of the fabrication. Added an oil catch can with a PCV for the crankcase breather. I learned on the dual sport version that if you don’t you’ll definitely make a mess! Built a bracket and made it happen:

e6b6badc4c181f4789b192ebc39656e6.jpg


dbcedc29b48f7fc472f2045f55de628d.jpg


I needed a license plate bracket but I hate the ones that stick off the side like a tumor so I built one that hugs right behind the rear sprocket. I dig it.

6ace86f955c1f18215fd02d0c767fcf9.jpg


c7dfd72a1e9a9d3871ed3b5b12d89bb1.jpg


And I got all of the wiring set and finalized. Used a regulator and an AC/DC converter to use all LEDs since this is a dirt bike and runs off of a magneto. Wanted as much light as possible in the very minimal lighting.

2091010922a9e2109eb84851d3d654d4.jpg
 

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
Here’s a short video of the yellow LED headlight running off of the electrical system. Nice and bright.

https://youtu.be/8M-RWpxkadI
 

pidjones

Over 1,000 Posts
Looking great, but I fear it won't be finished before riding season is over. Time to make two wheels a priority!
 

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
pidjones said:
Looking great, but I fear it won't be finished before riding season is over. Time to make two wheels a priority!

Oh it’ll be way finished before riding season is over. Not to mention I’m in Alabama, we can ride all the way into November
 

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
The way that my tail light fit always bugged me because it didn’t match the skinny contour of the rear fender and left some unsightly gaps that I couldn’t remedy. Took a gamble on a vintage bicycle headlight and it’s absolutely perfect. Contour was like it was made for this bike. I love it.

5f7cac8c51b483f70493350fc2228721.jpg


054550169393e8dc84257dd36482772b.jpg


d838911c5b35a3321e675b2e9a539c5b.jpg
 

Kanticoy

Mad Science!
DTT BOTM WINNER
The last two days have been brutal. I spent a total of 24 hours in the shop over 2 days. 9 32 ounce bottles of Gatorade to keep the sweat flowing. I stripped the entire bike down to the frame and finish welded everything that wasn’t done. Then I media blasted everything down to bare metal and powder coated the frame, forks, and who knows how much other random bits and bobs. This morning started reassembly. Along the way the brakes were bled, the wiring was finalized, all of the pivots were greased and the chain was stripped with kerosene and lubed up with motul. Everything is now done, and I’m waiting for my caswell liner in the tank to cure so I can take her for the maiden voyage and take some real pictures. I’m quite pleased with the way all of the colors intermingle and compliment each other. You’ll notice I finally assembled and put on my NOS pair of S&P shocks on the front. The retaining collars are a dead on match for the tank paint. Here’s a good progress photo dump!

680906c674902e5de181261bd6ca33f3.jpg


b2442f32ee00d19216f6b3fc04803ec0.jpg


fbadfb57944f329ef110cc509ca720eb.jpg


1e315c78b8eb6864f223a93657d39ad9.jpg


4dd86a92e26bc8740c021906b1704406.jpg


The original sale tag from when I bought the bike from the scrap trailer at the swap last year

50f6a9930c22bd951a79689a19d2a778.jpg


Some outside shots:

d47af90c7c58536c06ba5711cb545259.jpg


9034d653fc2ab828c80c0c7fa6fdc39d.jpg


c20fdd7552d7b8fcedd0411955eb2c0b.jpg


And a little before and after for fun:

4ec056ca8e6771c01105b0cf3c959f7c.jpg
 

DTT Bike Of The Month Gallery

DTT Light or Dark

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com
www.speedmotoco.com
www.lostapostle.ca/
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom