I bought a beat up Triumph 650 bottom end for $200. The VIN is a fake, but the cases are either from a 1971 or 1972. I disassembled the cases and transmission and sent the cases out for glass bead blasting
Don't they look pretty? the head is one I actually won't be using, and the box next to my engine has all the guts I took out
need to clean out all that glass bead and media. Using "wurth multipurpose solvent"
crank out. sludge trap replaced. Pin torqued to 33 foot pounds. The bearing journals were within spec so I gave them a quick polish with some 1500 grit and proceeded to reinstall the rods with some new bearings. rods torqued to 28 foot pounds.
fancy (expensive) new english bearings. sealant on the seams and ready to go together.
bottom end coming together.
Timing chest is almost done. Don't forget those cam gear nuts are reverse thread!
transmission getting cleaned - just about ready to go back in.
here you can see a pre-65 layshaft and a post-65 layshaft. I need the pre since my wheels don't have any interface for a speedo, should I decide to run one.
transmission back together. I actually swapped the layshaft with a pre-65 so I can run a tranny driven speedo (since I'm using GSXR wheels) You can see the speedo gear - the spiral gear interface)
primary drive going together
brandy new .080 over pistons. I wanna go fast!
mounted up. case bolts and fresh painted jugs.