Got me a package today. First arrival form the UK.
Went to a local shop today to try on some random tanks just to see if any of could meet my expectations. And yeah, the answer is "no".
Forgot to take pic of every tank I tried on.
And a Hooonda.
Actually liked that one if mounted more horizontally but I still would not like to go with a cafe. Possibly buy it anyway for the future projects (?)
Now I am thinking to go back to the original idea to use xs650 tank.
I mean the late model ones which were about gallon smaller than older ones, am I right?
So if anyone has one and is willing to send it for a few thousand mile journey I would be very interested. I am guessing the gaps are same in 400's and 650's and I have very clean one, so I won't be needing the gap.
Oops, it's been awhile... again. I don't know if I've mention this but no tracker project out of this one! I have really got meself in cafes over the last few months and it got me thinking: why to build a bike I don't even like. So full CAFE mode is on!
I also sold the x6r taillight, the handlebars and grips, obv they wouldn't fit with the style.
So got new grips, which needed to be bit modified to fit bar-end mirrors.
And a few months back, when tearing down the engine (which looked really great inside, btw) I discoverd the reason of my oil leak.
Someone had literally fixed it with sewing gum.
And just a picture of pre tear-down.
Got bt's (also ages ago). Damn these things cost a lot.
Wheels glass blasted. Didn't want to ruin 'em with sand.
Also new bearings and seals.
And of course some patches. Somehow they ended up on my bedroom wall.
Temporary I figure.
5 minutes of brushing.
Rims powder coated graphite black and tires on. For those who can't get them on correctly like I didn't a first: Lot of soap and heavy bouncing. (Also thanks drewpy)
Brushing revealed some cracks here and there.
And finally, today put the front end and rear shocks on to see where I am headed.
340mm shock are perfect.
Lowered the front an inch.
And a side view with the tank on. And i must say, I really dig the look. Exactly what I was looking for. 1 inch lowering the front, 1 inch raising the rear, and 1/2 inch raisin the tank. I'm in love.
To get the better look. Friggin snow, I hoped you'd skip this year...
Another small update.
Got the bar ends, fork seals and front pads.
Also added a golden touch. The last and only things on this bike that I painted with spray (don't like the idea of it). Hammerite does a pretty good job tho, lots of patience and layers.
P.S. the bike's theme isn't going to be gold!
/E: Could someone tell me the dimensions of the swingarm bushings. I don't have the swingarm in hands, so it's hard to measure it myself.
Outer diameter, inner diameter,overall length, flange extension diameter and thickness.
Freshened... umm, what is that? Anyway we call it speedo snail around here.
Only things on this bike that will see some polishing (points cover, too).
Mounted the disk.
Got a reasonable price on gixxer rearsets.
And a few minutes later they were much skinnier.
Also started working on the engine. Thinking not to split the crank case, as there seems to be no problems.
The muffins are ready !
Cleaning and sanding the oil filter cover was pain in the arse..
Move on to the barrels and head tomorrow. Going to do some dremmeling on the intake.
It's so good when you have a few weeks free inbetween semesters.
/// Sidenote: and to the present day.
Took the valves out in fathers shop.
A friend painted the fork legs for me.
Found my durex in the mail today.
New seals and ATF in and back together.
Accidentally switched them up and got thinking to convert the rotor to left. Seems like nothing isn't stopping me just turn the tyre around BUT what about the speedo counter? I mean, it is going to spin the other way. What should I do about that?
Oops, forgot the thread in here.
honda53rider: For the golden parts I used Hammerite gold metal spray. On the sprocket I did some measuring, making sure I wouldn't hit the reinforcing walls. As long as the front rotor goes, haven't read any myths about it but it's commonly done and haven't seen any negative feedback yet (haven't looked for it, haha.)
Some progress I copied from xs400.com:
I didn't think my mail box fitted that many packages. Usually they send the notification and I have to pick it up myself but I guess they are just tired of me. (30 ebay order from past 5 months)
All from the US this time.
And the inside.
Big thanks to xschris for send me new clutch perch.
Couldn't resist a ultraquick mock-up.
Seems quite far away from the forks but I like it. Can't get the full effect without the gauges.
What do you think?
Haven't done anything in the garages lately as it was about -25 to -30 C outside and below zero in the garage, but got my gauge faces from printing and taillight in the mail today.
First of all, removed the original faces with white spirit and revealed the "nice" yellow.
Then painted the back side and edges of the plates red with motip touch up to achieve red-ish lightning.
Light layer on.
The other layer on and done. (The white dot under the right tach screw is just some piece of paper that decided to fly oround.)
Lightning under the "sun". (More of a red than pink actually, can't get the right tones with my phone.)
And today's topic is new pointers.
Started by ripping off the ugly orange plastic ones and made tunnels for new ones.
Painted the tips red and glued to the needle mount.
I didn't remember that playing with polyester and fiber glass was so much fun.
After first 2-2.5 layers.
And 4-4.5 layers.
Found a great half hidden place for the rear blinkers.
Tomorrows plan is to lay out the wiring harness to see if any more tabs for the frame is needed... Should make rearsets' bracket templates, too. Would very much like to get the frame along with some other small stuff off to powder coating by the end of the week (yeah, righ).