Dual Sport SR500

Alright Guys, I know it has been a while, so here is a small update. But a fun story!
So last Saturday, I spent all day rebuilding the brakes and cleaning the carb.

This was my first time with disc brakes, and it wasn't a ton of fun haha. The pistons had some crust on them, so I sanded them, cleaned everything up real good, and flushed the old fluid out, and put in new fluid. I had a small vacuum pump that made things a little easier, but it still took a while. I found that I am missing the rear dust cover, that goes on the piston slide portion of the caliper, and I need new bleed bolts, because the p.o. rounded them off pretty good.

After that, I moved on to the carb.

The high idle was certainly a result of my clogged pilot jet. I fixed that.
But I also broke something :/
The air/fuel screw was missing the o-ring, so I replaced it with one I had. In doing so, I over-tightened the screw, and the tip broke off in the carb body.
the way I understand this screw to work is, it opens a passage from the carb bowl, to the throat of the carb. This enables, a venturi affect to occur, allowing the fuel to be sucked up into the carb body as the needle rises, then atomizing and going into the engine,yada yada yada....

I tired to remove the tip, but it was pretty forced in there....
After trying everything, and getting frustrated, I took the smallest drill bit I had, and I tried to drill it out.
Well, I ended up drilling a small hole right next to where that little bronze bitch still resides.
I filed the tip of the air/fuel screw, and just tightened it back in, and brought it back out a single turn.
I was confident the bike wouldnt run right...

And I was wrong!
She starts up and runs good.
did a plug chop, and everything looks great.
Dang this engine is a bear.

I put new handle bars on, tightened everything down, and took her to CHOPPERCROSS!
It's a local event that entails riding your road bike off road. I ended up putting about 75 miles on her Sunday, mostly forest roads.
She did well. no breakdowns. But my shocks are toast! check out the pics!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_2804 (1).jpg
    IMG_2804 (1).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 865
Here are some more pictures, of the other gnarly bikes!
The knuckle head is Phil's, and the black shovel head is Ben's.
Also, if you are on instagram, check out the #choppercross for many other pictures.
 

Attachments

  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 866
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG_2812.jpg
    IMG_2812.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 770
Back
Top Bottom