1974 CL360 & KZ400

Re: 1974 honda cl360 brat

The mudguard has become a structural member, if the bolts start to loosen or holes wear it shows you are getting flex.
It would be a good idea to check them after a few hundred miles.
Maybe bolt a thicker piece in so mudguard cant flex?

crazypj said:
The mudguard has become a structural member, if the bolts start to loosen or holes wear it shows you are getting flex.

This. If you hit something hard enough to flex those frame rails, that fender is gonna get trashed.

trek97 said:
I apologize, You are right, thats exactly what people do. You have everything completely under control. I am just getting old and get stuck in my ways. And I have only had my bike for 2 1/2 years. Alot of guys here have decades of experience. The hoop is clearly an after thought. Just look at Rich Ards "Honda", It doesnt seem to have any support at all and he gets along just fine. Please continue w the build. I'll just sit here quietly and try to think before I speak.

richArdV_zps64738674.jpg

No need to be like that. Your knowledge or bikes probably exceeds mine, so I appreciate the suggestion. I only responded like that because there's no way for me to put a rear loop on it at all anytime soon.

coyote13 said:
This. If you hit something hard enough to flex those frame rails, that fender is gonna get trashed.

crazypj said:

Didn't really even think of that.. good tip
Hoping this is just temporary, hopefully I can weld something on permanently eventually.

You don't bend the frame rails but they do flex.
Having one side braced against the other strengthens everything, the rails can move independently when everything is cut out
You still have the rear section behind shock mounts and the front cross piece lowered using mudguard to stiffen it (even if only by accident ;D )
I've seen various bikes where frames cracked after being 'cleaned up' without much if any thought being given to stresses involved during normal riding
Scariest was a 500 Triumph 'repaired' with fence wire and a broom handle :eek:
Guy actual asked me if it would be safe to ride ::)

in australia we work on the slab economy...everything has a price in beer. for a local welding shop to quickly weld a rear hoop in would be max 1 box of beer. theres guys selling hoops in the sale section for $40.

if you realised just how flimsy standard frames are, you would see that its not a very smart idea to ride a dual shock bike without a properly braced subframe.

but good luck with the build. i understand the pains of working on a bike with less than adequate tools available.

nedmmo said:
in australia we work on the slab economy...everything has a price in beer. for a local welding shop to quickly weld a rear hoop in would be max 1 box of beer. theres guys selling hoops in the sale section for $40.

if you realised just how flimsy standard frames are, you would see that its not a very smart idea to ride a dual shock bike without a properly braced subframe.

but good luck with the build. i understand the pains of working on a bike with less than adequate tools available.
This is definitely just temporary, and after everyone chiming in, definitely going to get a hoop.

Link to hoops couldn't really find it? But sounds like aus knows whats up btw haha..

for people in doubt of that inspiration bike with the enormous rear tire, theres other videos of it in action, but this is just one I saw most recently its at the 2:35 mark:

http://vimeo.com/45921081

Zoltan said:
Link to hoops couldn't really find it? But sounds like aus knows whats up btw haha..
Good God! SEARCH BOY, SEARCH! took me like 10 seconds, and I found 2.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=34914.0

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39230.msg427733#msg427733

Zoltan said:
for people in doubt of that inspiration bike with the enormous rear tire, theres other videos of it in action, but this is just one I saw most recently its at the 2:35 mark:

Im sorry, I assumed you would be riding on the street. Apparently, I missed the part, about you riding primarily on sand.
Nobody said you CANT run a fat tire. I had the 4.5 inch Firestone for 2 years. They are perfect if you want to ride in straight lines..."just like in the video".
However, Simply wanted to let you know, now that I have the 110 Avon. I am enjoying my bike a whole lot more. Not only does she go straight, she also goes around corners and curves. The Avons perform well on pavement. I imagine the Firestones might be better in the sand.

trek97 said:
Good God! SEARCH BOY, SEARCH! took me like 10 seconds, and I found 2.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=34914.0

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39230.msg427733#msg427733

Im sorry, I assumed you would be riding on the street. Apparently, I missed the part, about you riding primarily on sand.
Nobody said you CANT run a fat tire. I had the 4.5 inch Firestone for 2 years. They are perfect if you want to ride in straight lines..."just like in the video".
However, Simply wanted to let you know, now that I have the 110 Avon. I am enjoying my bike a whole lot more. Not only does she go straight, she also goes around corners and curves. The Avons perform well on pavement. I imagine the Firestones might be better in the sand.

lol thanks, and I would be riding on the street, I clarified earlier that I didn't want a rear tire that large, people just were saying that it was all for show, etc. so I was just showing what I found

Beach is nice and flat, it's surprisingly easy to do dumb stuff on damp sand and get away with it.
I would be more impressed with some knee down canyon carving ;D

gotcha, thanks bud. Old and confused here. LOL

Picked up a nice drill finally and a wire wheel, little polishing

That bare metal look just looks awesome, might just clear coat it.. If not this is what I will paint the tank:

Finished the headlight mount piece, angles it just how I want it.

Ditched the flamboyant natural rubber grips, have some coming from austrailia ;] (MMC)
Euro handlebars coming, updated wire harness coming, along with other things, should have everything hopefully on my doorstep once I come back from rochester

Zoltan said:

Finished the headlight mount piece, angles it just how I want it.

Wont matter how you WANT the headlight to angle. Its a matter of "can see...cant see"

1 OK, now send those pods straight back to China.

2 If you dont care to use the stock air boxes. Budget for PJs work, Uni-filters and inspect the diaphragms.

3 Start hunting for a front fender.

4 The BLUE paint will be Awesome. Get a can of self etching primer and a can of high build primer. Some scotch brite pads.. to prep primer for paint. a couple sheets of 1200 - 1800 for wet sanding. And a can of clear. If you want shiny, most guys seem to be having good luck w spraymax 2k. If you want flat. Pay a pro.

5 Are you going a different route w the rear fender now?

6 Check out the wheel bearings a brake pads.

Hold on a minute...You need to hear this bike RUN before you start dumping cake in her. SERIOUSLY.

@trek97: she kicked over after a clutch adjustment second day, then I tore it apart, During removal of speedo/tach and trying to update the rect, I messed up the wiring and it was too a point of no return, at least for my skills. But I have a wire harness coming from sonreir, cheap pods are temporary ::), I read the whole post about them blocking air flow, seems like not a lot of people are aware of this issue either.. Bought new bearings but haven't put them on.. haven't looked into the brakes to much yet though, I'm going to try to get a rear hoop on soon :D
How important is the front fender/fork brace, I see a lot of bikes without them? are they just dumb? haha

Zoltan said:
How important is the front fender/fork brace, I see a lot of bikes without them? are they just dumb? haha

If you're going to be pushing hard, they're pretty important. You'll be able to feel the difference with any sort of decent lean angle.

Zoltan said:
@trek97: she kicked over after a clutch adjustment second day,

By this...do you mean kick over, started up and she ran?
If not, get her running first. before doing anything else. It will suck to spend a bunch of effort and money. Only to have a properly built, good looking machine, that sounds like its full of loose change and ground clam shells. Then you will need the money you spent on Australian grips for rings and gaskets.

If Sonreir recommends you to do something...I would listen. (fender, fork brace,whatever)

The forks get their strength from being tied together, kinda like an extension ladder, they need rungs. would you climb an extension ladder that only had 1 rung at the bottom on the lower section?

I wouldnt want to chance the forks twisting under me. While taking a curve at 70mph w a truck following behind.

Do you intend to sell her, OR, keep this machine as your personal playtoy?

Kicked over as in the bike started up and ran (I didn't mean to make it sound like I was explaining that the engine was just not seized), probably should've took it around the block to made sure everything shifted properly or whatever but was to excited to get going on the build and tore it up right away. Going to look for a front fender, I remember seeing some very discrete ones somewhere that we're basically the length of the diameter of the forks, but can't find them anymore.

I'm going to keep this bike 8)

Zoltan said:
I'm going to keep this bike 8)
So, you sold a running 750 and bought a 360 to keep? :eek: What kind of maniac are you? lol Atleast I am relieved to know she ran for a time. :)

about the fender/fork brace...

Some guys simply find a cheap, rusty, dented fender. Grind the rivets off of it. And use the mounting bracket/brace thats hidden underneath. The part that actually supports the forks and fender itself. The brackets are small and fit pretty close to the tire. Others custom make a brace out of aluminum or whatever. PJ may be able to help w that, I think he made one for his or his sons 360...when hes feeling up to it. He still gets tired pretty easily, but getting better.

Back
Top Bottom