Honda cb350 cafe racer project from the UK

Few older pics of the triple tree getting the dermal treatment.

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 239
This pretty much where I'm at today.
Just waiting for the longer cable for the starter motor to arrive, then it should be near to start up time.

Sorry for the pic overload but been getting stuck into it every spare minute, so haven't had a chance to upload the progress pics.

I'm going to the bike shed show in london at the end of the month. Would love to get the bike on show there. I can dream.
Not sure it would be up to show standards. We'll see. Can't wait. Let me know what you guys think?

Enjoy. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 221
I mean, it looks absolutely awesome, and the paint scheme is fantastic. But there is absolutely no way in hell that you have enough clearance between the rear tyre and the frame.

I was thinking the same as Green. I'm no expert, but I would check that rear tire clearance before riding :/

Also, it looks killer :)

Awesome build thread Andy! I'm gonna read through the entire thing when I get a chance then we can compare notes. Thanks for sharing! I am so caught up in research and the documentation of my build that other people's build documentation can slip through the cracks. Looking forward to going over yours though.

Cheers!

Ok bud! Got through the whole dang thing 8)

First of all.. Sweet shed! & cheers for the shout out pal, appreciate that.

You had a pretty good starting point actually. Carbs can be a real pain in the arse but Im glad you figured it out eventually. I did not have a chance to run my bike in the beginning so at least you knew more to start with. I personally went crazy and bought all new stuff for my build. The reason being is because I'm very very jaded from my other vintage bike, a 1982 Yamaha Virago. It's a custom bike built by someone else. Ive had a handful of frustrating problems with it and I did not want to deal with anything like it with my own build. Nothing major but it is a vintage and needs constant attention. Attention that I couldn't spare and it can be a bit bothersome. So my goal with my own build was to start fresh with a lot of new parts, especially the electronics as you will see in the coming future. I feel completely confident with the CB350 because Ive taken everything apart! I know the bike inside and out mostly! I will learn a lot more about tuning and electrical in the coming weeks.

Anyway your bike is coming a long very nicely! I love the seat/tank combo! Looking very sharp. I hope you can get it on the road soon. I will plus 1 on the rear tire clearance the other guys were talking about. I'm sure your all over it though at this point. I had to order custom, made to order shocks for my bike due to the after market seat and batter box I am fitting. I decided on the "dial a ride" Ikon shocks after doing a lot of research. They were the most adjustable, well rated, well recommended & came in the colour I wanted. I hope you get cruising soon!

following along from here on out.

I will say now though that just getting longer shocks to gain that clearance back is the wrong way to correct this issue, as the increase in shock length you would need to get to adequate clearance would dramatically alter the handling. 1 inch over stock is probably the maximum I personally would consider to be safe but I am no expert on that.

Really the only safe way is kick that rear end hoop up and not have it flat. Not what you want to hear after its been coated, but that's how it needs to be done to make it safe.

Thanks for the advise guys. I've found some shocker brackets that lengthen it by around 1inch. I've seen this used on other builds so I think it will work. I guess the proof is in the pudding.
874bcd6a5183d39118277a3bc18ea98e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to have you on board Tony.
Yes my bike was an American import and because of the slight difference in fuel and coming from a hot state it just wouldn't run right. I wanted to make sure it ran before sinking lots of cash into the project. It turned out it just needed to be rejetted using bigger jets and tuned. I also fitted these cone filters on it but on the standard carbs there is an air intake hole which was being blocked by the filter. So this was also causing a problem. I did ride it last summer for a couple of months, I was so impressed with the torque. With the cafe racer theme making things lighter and stripping off everything that's not needed it should perform even better.
I've spent the day "Saturday wrenchin'" tidying the electrical cables. I'm so glad I labelled them before removing. I've also replaced the starter cable as with the new battery location it needed extending by around 12 inches. Luckily I have a friend that works in a wire & cable factory so he "acquired" some for me.
Having trouble at the moment with the clutch. Can't seem to get the tension right! Any help would be greatly appreciated. ❤️

Thanks again for the advise and support.

I would direct you to this nice clutch adjustment post on Hondatwins: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/8701-350-360-clutch-adjustment-procedure.html

Saturdays Wrench said:
I would direct you to this nice clutch adjustment post on Hondatwins: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/8701-350-360-clutch-adjustment-procedure.html

Thanks Tony

Only just popped back in on the thread....some spectacular progress. Beautiful paint job. ........she'll be ready in no time!!!

New starter solenoid cable made up. Old one was shot. New shock extensions also arrived.
756e20b1a2ee38897bf1c9b248f752ed.jpg

2e5a390c29c2fb58fc6ca73fe369a4c2.jpg

More bike bits. Fuel hose as old one I think was still the original 35 year one. Hard and not very flexible. And purchased some rear sets although I don't think they'll fit without some tinkering.

6864f7c49dd4edd9703bd76e9256fb84.jpg

New kick starter rubber. It's all in the detail. Apparently.

Back
Top Bottom