72 CL350 Build - Done!!!! - lots of pics

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

cyclhed - Thanks. I can't wait either!

I started to true the wheels today. A little tougher than I thought it would be. I re-did the wheels twice and didn't even come close. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I'm not sure if the powder coat did anything to the rims or if it's the spoke from Bangkok. I'll do so more research and see if I can find anything out.
 

cyclhed

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

Last time I trued the spoke wheels on my Kaw I found a diagram on the net that helps you visualize whats going when you tighten/ loosen the spokes. The hoop needs to be close to start with. I marked the wheel with a sharpie so I didn't lose my place. Gotta go to work now or I'd find that diagram for you.
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

cyclhed said:
Last time I trued the spoke wheels on my Kaw I found a diagram on the net that helps you visualize whats going when you tighten/ loosen the spokes. The hoop needs to be close to start with. I marked the wheel with a sharpie so I didn't lose my place. Gotta go to work now or I'd find that diagram for you.

Thanks. Any help is always appreciated.
 

cyclhed

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

I found it. Here is the article and near the bottom under '"Vertical Alignment" is a diagram that will help a lot. I found this and used it last time I trued the wheels on my KZ1000.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/spoke-wheels/
 

gregajo

wrenching in the bad oil garage
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

Thanks for the link cyclhed! I was worried about trying to rebuild my wheels as a newbie and appreciate getting these instructions. Cheers, Greg
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

cyclhed said:
I found it. Here is the article and near the bottom under '"Vertical Alignment" is a diagram that will help a lot. I found this and used it last time I trued the wheels on my KZ1000.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/spoke-wheels/

Thanks for the link!!! Super helpful. I will give it a try tonight.
 

helitaiwan963

New Member
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

Awesome build! I just picked up a 73 CL350 to make into a similar build, but I think i'll be leaning towards the bobber side of things...

Anyway, I have some questions for you.

1) Was the carb easy to rebuild and did it require any special tools? I'm completely new to bikes, but I'm definitely not a noob to DIY things as I've been messing around with cars for quite some time now. So I do have a decent mechanical skill level to rebuild things.
2) What did you use for the spark plug wires and where did you order them? The "L" rubber boot where it pops onto the spark plug is detached from the wire itself so it's obviously not delivering electricity to the spark plug. I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find spark plug wires for the CL350...


Thanks a lot
Eric
 

cervin

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

Awesome CL! Great attention to detail!

also, you're my girlfriends neighbor and I'm always around huntley area stalker status haha
maybe we can ride together sometime! ;D ;D
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

helitaiwan963 said:
Awesome build! I just picked up a 73 CL350 to make into a similar build, but I think i'll be leaning towards the bobber side of things...

Anyway, I have some questions for you.

1) Was the carb easy to rebuild and did it require any special tools? I'm completely new to bikes, but I'm definitely not a noob to DIY things as I've been messing around with cars for quite some time now. So I do have a decent mechanical skill level to rebuild things.
2) What did you use for the spark plug wires and where did you order them? The "L" rubber boot where it pops onto the spark plug is detached from the wire itself so it's obviously not delivering electricity to the spark plug. I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find spark plug wires for the CL350...


Thanks a lot
Eric

Eric,

The carbs are easy to rebuild. No special tools at all. A screwdriver and a small pick and punch to get the hard crusty parts out is all I used. Rebuild time about 10 min once I let it soak in the parts cleaner for a night.

As for the plug wires and the 90 degree boot. Those came from DCC! Almost every new part that I have acquired has come from Herm and the guys down there. They are fast, always respond to emails and I get my stuff in ChiTown in about 3 days. You can't ask for anything more.

Good luck with your project and let me know if you have any other questions.
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

cervin said:
Awesome CL! Great attention to detail!

also, you're my girlfriends neighbor and I'm always around huntley area stalker status haha
maybe we can ride together sometime! ;D ;D

Who's your girlfriend? Just kiddin.

Thanks for the kind words. Always up for a ride but I just won't be on the CL at least not for a while anyways. I'll just have to ride the Buell!!

Let me know if your in the area. Always welcome to stop by. I'm in the garage most weekends working on something.
 

cervin

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

ohh snap! Im headed there this week, I might just take you up on that offer!
 

helitaiwan963

New Member
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

WNTITAL said:
Eric,

The carbs are easy to rebuild. No special tools at all. A screwdriver and a small pick and punch to get the hard crusty parts out is all I used. Rebuild time about 10 min once I let it soak in the parts cleaner for a night.

As for the plug wires and the 90 degree boot. Those came from DCC! Almost every new part that I have acquired has come from Herm and the guys down there. They are fast, always respond to emails and I get my stuff in ChiTown in about 3 days. You can't ask for anything more.

Good luck with your project and let me know if you have any other questions.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the plug wires would you? I'm about to order the carb rebuild kit for mine so hopefully everything goes well and I can get the bike started.


Thanks
Eric
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

helitaiwan963 said:
You wouldn't happen to have a link to the plug wires would you? I'm about to order the carb rebuild kit for mine so hopefully everything goes well and I can get the bike started.


Thanks
Eric

Eric,

Here you go:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-ignition-parts-ngk-90-degree-elbow-spark-plug-boots-05-0212.html

I also got the wires and ignition coils from them as well. Good luck!
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 3/24/12

Well it's been a long time but other things have taken over and I have slowly been working on the bike to get it going. Here are some updated pics.

Started the seat. I used fuel line and slit it down the middle. I then ran it around the bottom edge to give me a nice smooth surface for when I wrap the cover over it.
randompics016.jpg

randompics017.jpg

randompics018.jpg

randompics019.jpg

I held it in place with silicone adhesive and then tapped it down till it held.
randompics020.jpg


I then started adding foam and also used some gel inserts so my ass won't hurt so much. I hope.
randompics021.jpg

randompics022.jpg

randompics023.jpg


Here is the gel insert:
randompics024.jpg

Then the shaping began(very messy)
randompics033-1.jpg

randompics034-1.jpg

randompics037-1.jpg


You have to use this thin foam before the gel goes down so it doesn't bleed into the surrounding material.
randompics039-1.jpg

Then I used the same foam to cover the entire seat to give it a smooth look. This will hopefully help with the cover.
randompics044-1.jpg

randompics045-1.jpg


Here is a side profile. Not bad but to be honest I'm not sure I like it. I may change the seat completley but until I cover it I won't know for sure.
randompics043-1.jpg


I also started getting the tank ready for paint. I had to fill in some dents and the cut outs I created.
HondaAssembly010-4.jpg

HondaAssembly011-4.jpg


Then some putty to fill some small pinholes
HondaAssembly015-3.jpg

HondaAssembly016-3.jpg


Also started the headlight as well:
HondaAssembly012-2.jpg

HondaAssembly013-3.jpg

HondaAssembly014-3.jpg


Then some primer:
HondaAssembly006-4.jpg

HondaAssembly007-3.jpg

HondaAssembly007-3.jpg


I still need to coat the inside with RedKote and then paint it but the primer will work for now until that get's done this weekend. I also started the wiring. I kept the factory wiring and just shortened or replaced the wires that needed it. I also used shrink tubing and expandable wire loom mesh.
I also installed a Pamco ignition system. Easy install and hope it lives up to everyones comments. Pete ships fast and would recommend it for anyone. I had it the next day after my order.
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 10/6/12

Here are the pics of the wiring:
HondaAssembly024-2.jpg


HondaAssembly023-3.jpg


Horn wiring:
HondaAssembly027-2.jpg


Regulator:
HondaAssembly026-2.jpg

HondaAssembly025-2.jpg


Starer solenoid:
HondaAssembly031-2.jpg


Coils:
HondaAssembly030-2.jpg


HondaAssembly028-2.jpg

HondaAssembly029-2.jpg
 

7aliveatlast7

the bearded hessian
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 10/6/12

where did you get those nice ngk spark plug wires? i've been wanting to get some.
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 10/6/12

They are a set from dime city. The ends came with the bike when I bought it. They screw in to the wires. I just covered the ends in shrink tubing. That's it nothing special.
 

WNTITAL

Been Around the Block
Re: 72 CL350 Build - updated pics and progress 10/7/12

Since I filled in the sides of the battery box I knew I would have to use a smaller battery. Since the battery is about 2 inches smaller than the original I needed to raise this one up to make sure I could get the cables connected and still be able to strap it down here is what I built. I used some left over pieces of 1.5in flat stock.
HondaAssembly003-4.jpg


HondaAssembly002-5.jpg


HondaAssembly004-4.jpg


Battery installed:
HondaAssembly005-4.jpg


HondaAssembly006-5.jpg


I then continued the wiring. Heat shrink and mesh loom. Since I used the original harness I couldn't get the loom over the entire thing so I had to put it over each pig tail section that came off the main trunk of the harness.

HondaAssembly008-5.jpg


HondaAssembly009-5.jpg


HondaAssembly010-5.jpg


HondaAssembly011-5.jpg


I just re-taped the main section that sits underneath the tank since I couldn't get a loom on it.

HondaAssembly012-3.jpg


Tires are here I just need to install them now.

HondaAssembly001-4.jpg
 

DTT Bike Of The Month Gallery

DTT Light or Dark

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com
shop.themotoworks.com
www.cognitomoto.com
https://www.townmoto.com
www.speedmotoco.com
www.lostapostle.ca/
www.sparckmoto.com
Top Bottom