Engine inspiration thread!

Re: Re: Engine inspiration thread!

JRK5892 said:
quad do not use 1200 on these motors it simply does not get hot enough in operation to cure the paint to a final cure and it will always be very very fragile and will chip like mad, use the 500* use a very light coat of primer, and then base coat it, i do not typically like to use the clear high temps as they just tend to flake, bleach, and chip... i did a full write up a while back on painting a motor if you want to search my name and that. let me know if i can help.... i like to use an engine cleaner, then non clorine brake cleaner to clean up the motors for paint, super easy and really works great
Yeah I knew it wouldn't cure from engine heat but I have a heat gun that reaches 1375F that I was going to go through the heat cycles with. I also choose the vht flameproof because the red they had plus the clear gave it just about the same red as my frame. I'll try looking more for a closer red in the engine enamel. I only used engine cleaner, brake cleaner, and a rifle bore cleaner brush along with the red scotch brite pads.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 

duggyb

where are the skis?
Well this thread gave me inspiration to do my own motor hopefully mine can give someone else some more!

CJ360T Motor
Mikuni VM30s
Pods
CB360T Headers





 

neevo

New Member
JRK5892 said:
i did a full write up a while back on painting a motor if you want to search my name and that.
Anyone find that link? My iPhone isn't going far back enough on your posts to find the thread.
 

Hoosier Daddy

Earache my eye...
duggyb, I am really digging that engine stand!
You could degrease that bellhousing and use it for all kinds of things, unless you're going to connect a trans to an engine with it. ;)
 

canyoncarver

'hacking is learning'
DTT BOTM WINNER
neevo said:
Anyone find that link? My iPhone isn't going far back enough on your posts to find the thread.

Ditto, still looking for it too. JRK5982 - got a link?


Thanks in advance. I've noticed quite a bit of your great work posted throughout the forum.
 

JRK5892

New Member
here is how i do it...
spray with gunk foaming engine cleaner... scrub with simple green and scrub brush, hose off, by now all the major grime and oil should be gone, 3 cans of non clorinated brake cleaner, wipe down with denatured alchole, light coats of primer, then paint... done

here is the motor i did this weekend
motor clean waiting on paint


i have a large oven but it is not needed just speeds the dry


all done


another motor i did
cleaned and prepped


light primer


painted


done
[/QUOTE]
 

crazypj

Split personality, I fake being smart
I was just reading back through some of this and realised aluminium melts around 11~1200f so 1300 VHT wont cure before you end up with a blob on the floor ;D
 

JRK5892

New Member
100% PJ i only use 500* paint for motors, if you go over that it will not cure and will chip and flake, also when motor paint cures it has much more resistance to chemicals like oil and gas. 500* is the way to go
 

turbocity tom

New Member
The engine is going in my 79 CB750K with a lot of little custom stuff done. It is a street bike- I mainly wanted something different to cruise locally. should only be around 90-105 HP- low boost- pump gas - no problems- lot's of WOW factor.

I ride a 2010 Kawasaki C14 Concours everyday (rain or shine) so this is just for fun.


Thanks Tom
 

plagrone

New Member
turbocity tom said:
The engine is going in my 79 CB750K with a lot of little custom stuff done. It is a street bike- I mainly wanted something different to cruise locally. should only be around 90-105 HP- low boost- pump gas - no problems- lot's of WOW factor.

I ride a 2010 Kawasaki C14 Concours everyday (rain or shine) so this is just for fun.


Thanks Tom
Would love to see pictures of this bike, sir. That engine is immaculate, and I can only assume the bike it sits in is similarly neat
 

turbocity tom

New Member
plagrone said:
Would love to see pictures of this bike, sir. That engine is immaculate, and I can only assume the bike it sits in is similarly neat

Still needs a lot of cosmetic stuff.

here is a video of the engine running.

http://s120.photobucket.com/user/turbocity_tom/media/P3240001_zpsfad12fe9.mp4.html

Thanks for looking.

Tom
 

billyp

New Member
Here's my '81 XS650. Main color is Dupli Color Spray Cast Iron with Spraymax 2k matte clear, silver is powder coat Super Chrome with a matte clear.







 
Top Bottom